17 minor leaguers I want to see called up in Sept.

wildcard

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like the O's are about ready to shut Rogers down for the season.   That is even more reason to promote Ortiz.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like the O's are about ready to shut Rogers down for the season.   That is even more reason to promote Ortiz.

Ortiz could be running out of innings as well.  He has 94 now and threw 94 last year.  He hasn’t thrown 100 innings in a season so far in any year.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Ortiz could be running out of innings as well.  He has 94 now and threw 94 last year.  He hasn’t thrown 100 innings in a season so far in any year.

All the more reason to build him up.   He missed several weeks this season.    I’d like to see him get some innings either in Baltimore or the AFL.

I really only feel the need to add them to the 40-man on Sep. 1st if they have performed well at AAA over a significant period of time. On that list it's only Yaz. Means has done well but I would shut him down soon. 

Carroll, Phillips, Araujo, Valera, Sisco, Rickard should be recalled.

Gentry, Jones, Petersen will be gone at the end of the season. I don't think Caleb Joseph or Mike Wright should be tendered a contract. Marinez, Gilmartin, and Hart can go too. So there will be plenty of room for people like Ortiz, Means, Cervenka, Kline, etc to be added.

29 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I really only feel the need to add them to the 40-man on Sep. 1st if they have performed well at AAA over a significant period of time. On that list it's only Yaz. Means has done well but I would shut him down soon. 

Carroll, Phillips, Araujo, Valera, Sisco, Rickard should be recalled.

Gentry, Jones, Petersen will be gone at the end of the season. I don't think Caleb Joseph or Mike Wright should be tendered a contract. Marinez, Gilmartin, and Hart can go too. So there will be plenty of room for people like Ortiz, Means, Cervenka, Kline, etc to be added.

This is where I’m at. We’re just rearranging names when it comes to the pitching staff. I don’t think the players are that different. 

I want to see Mountcastle up. I know he doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man this year, but there is enough room to take up one spot to get him some Sept ABs. 

On 8/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, wildcard said:

(snip)

How do the O's add 8 to the 40 man roster and move 7 off?   Some get send to Sarasota on the taxis squad after the minor league season ends.  When players get injured they go on the 60 day DL which makes room for players from Sarasota.

With pitch limits in effect on some of the minor league pitchers they will not pitch that much or that often.  Getting plenty of rest between outings.

Seventeen players is a ridiculous amount to add, even for a rebuilding team. It's not just about the 40-man roster -- it's about the active roster. By my count, you're getting rid of only three players from the active roster (Peterson, Gentry, and Andreoli) and adding 17, which would put 39 players in uniform. That will never, ever happen. The Orioles rarely carry more than about 32 or 33 players during September callups.

Of the players you mentioned, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that they'll add Cervenka, Flaa, or Chris Lee. Luis Gonzalez has been struggling of late and might have cost himself a call-up. Some of the other pitchers are approaching innings limits. And I haven't heard anything about Araujo's health status. I feel like we might have seen the last of him this year.

7 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Seventeen players is a ridiculous amount to add, even for a rebuilding team. It's not just about the 40-man roster -- it's about the active roster. By my count, you're getting rid of only three players from the active roster (Peterson, Gentry, and Andreoli) and adding 17, which would put 39 players in uniform. That will never, ever happen. The Orioles rarely carry more than about 32 or 33 players during September callups.

Of the players you mentioned, I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that they'll add Cervenka, Flaa, or Chris Lee. Luis Gonzalez has been struggling of late and might have cost himself a call-up. Some of the other pitchers are approaching innings limits. And I haven't heard anything about Araujo's health status. I feel like we might have seen the last of him this year.

It sounds like you are thinking of added all 17 at the same time without  takes but three off.   I don't see that happening either.   However, Rogers may get one more start and then be shut down.  That will happen to several other pitchers.   I think many players may go to Sarasota as the minor league season ends.  Then when there are injuries or pitchers need to be shut down because they reach their innings limit more players can be called up.

I have already stated  since the OP was posted that Luis Gonzalez's slump may cost him a call up. It will be interesting to  see if his four months of very good pitching may still get him a spot on the 40 man before the Rule 5 draft. Or his high ERA  at seasons end will cause the O's to take the chance of exposing him thinking that the combo of age and high ERA will not make him attractive to other teams.  A minor contract and an invite to ST may be enough to keep him in the O's organization next year.

Considering that Araujo does not have to pitch but rather just be on the active roster for 15 more days, I think that may happen.

Sisco and Cervenka are in a interesting situation.  Sisco has not really played well enough to force a promotion but he is on the 40 man roster and the prospect list so he probably gets promoted.  He may not play much though.  Cervanka has had a good season and has probably peaked the O's interest in seeing him in the majors this Sept.   He needs to be protected from he Rule 5 draft and is a  logical candidate to be added to the 40  man roster prior to the Rule  5 draft if they are considering non tendering Joseph.

I can see the O's going to a 6 man rotation in Sept.  They also may shut down Bundy early.  He has had a tough season.  His ERA over the last 7 games is over 8.00.    Means could be called up for a look and then shut down early.   We could see a few games that are bullpen only games before the end of the season.  Castro has already pitched 73 innings.  His ERA over his last 7 games is 7.88.   I could see him shut down early  also.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, wildcard said:

Maybe not all at once, but sometime during the month.

Players on the 40 man roster that should be recalled:

Pitchers

1-3.  Carroll, Phillips and Yacabonis   

4.  Araujo.  

Catcher

5. Sisco

Infielders

6-7.   Wilkerson and Valera.  

Outfielder:

8-9.  Hays and Rickard

Players added to the 40 man roster:

Starters:

10-11.  Means and Ortiz   

Relievers:

12-15.   Kline,  Luis Gonzalez, Chris Lee and Flaa.  

Catcher:

16.  Cervenka  

Outfielder

17.   Mike Yastrzemski    

Taking into account innings limits, health, and the AFL, here who is I see coming up:

Pitchers:

1. Luis Ortiz- unless we send him to the AFL. 

2-3.  Hart and Marinez- already on 40 man. Typical September arms. Have IP left. 

4-5. Carrol and Phillips. On 40 man. Have IP left. Still “prospectish”. 

6. Yacobonis. Near his limit max, but a 10 more IP isn’t going to kill him. Especially in 1-2 IP stints. 

Catcher

7. Sisco

Infielders

8. Valera 

Outfielders

9. Rickard

10. DJ Stewart- hasn’t had the best season, but has to be on the 40 man anyway. Plus with Mullins hurt give us a “young” guy. 

Cup of Coffee types

Yaz, Rosa, Joseph

Wildcard

Mountcastle, Diaz

Thats only adding 2 to the 40 man. Ortiz and Stewart, and they have to be added anyway. That leaves room to add an unexpected prospect or to reward a guy with a cup of coffee. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Taking into account innings limits, health, and the AFL, here who is I see coming up:

Pitchers:

1. Luis Ortiz- unless we send him to the AFL. 

2-3.  Hart and Marinez- already on 40 man. Typical September arms. Have IP left. 

4-5. Carrol and Phillips. On 40 man. Have IP left. Still “prospectish”. 

6. Yacobonis. Near his limit max, but a 10 more IP isn’t going to kill him. Especially in 1-2 IP stints. 

Catcher

7. Sisco

Infielders

8. Valera 

Outfielders

9. Rickard

10. DJ Stewart- hasn’t had the best season, but has to be on the 40 man anyway. Plus with Mullins hurt give us a “young” guy. 

Cup of Coffee types

Yaz, Rosa, Joseph

Wildcard

Mountcastle, Diaz

Thats only adding 2 to the 40 man. Ortiz and Stewart, and they have to be added anyway. That leaves room to add an unexpected prospect or to reward a guy with a cup of coffee. 

I order for Rosa and Corban to get callups the GM would have to have a soft spot in his heart.   When it comes to baseball I don't know that Dan has one.

7 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Can you imagine how Buck would act with that many players around?  I'd pay just to see that. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

Can you imagine how Buck would act with that many players around?  I'd pay just to see that. 

IMO, you underestimate Buck.   This is not the contending Buck.  In September we will probably see the player development Buck.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO, you underestimate Buck.   This is not the contending Buck.  In September we will probably see the player development Buck.

Actually, I'm Suzie Sunshine. I always look for the best in folks. Buck ain't gonna live with 40 guys. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Actually, I'm Suzie Sunshine. I always look for the best in folks. Buck ain't gonna live with 40 guys. 

No he is not.  And no one said he was.   25 plus 16 minus 3 is 38.   And not all of them will be on the active roster at the same time.  More than likely there are not more than 34 o4 35 on the active roster at any one time.

Archived