Hardball Talk: Why can't the Orioles develop pitchers?

weams

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If they had better prioritize their own prospects, they might have kept one or two of those that got traded away.

I dont fault them for trying to stay relevant in the playoff hunt.

Clearly their pecking order wasn't ID correctly.

I agree. It is easy to call red once the wheel has stopped.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, weams said:

I agree. It is easy to call red once the wheel has stopped.

Your right, hindsight is 20-20.

My problem, is that, these guys are paid professionals in their field of work, and it wasn't just 1 or 2 that excelled or under performed, it appeared to be pretty much everybody. How many pitchers was that ahead of Ed-Rod, 6 or 7? Where are they now, and where is Ed-Rod? I dont fault them for trading a mid-range prospect, I fault depth system.

So what happen, bad scouting, bad coaching, or just the baseball Gods hate us?

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Your right, hindsight is 20-20.

My problem, is that, these guys are paid professionals in their field of work, and it wasn't just 1 or 2 that excelled or under performed, it appeared to be pretty much everybody. How many pitchers was that ahead of Ed-Rod, 6 or 7? Where are they now, and where is Ed-Rod? I dont fault them for trading a mid-range prospect, I fault depth system.

So what happen, bad scouting, bad coaching, or just the baseball Gods hate us?

The list went Bundy, Harvey, ERod.

They knew what they were giving up in ERod.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, what about the Wrights, Wrights and other names there, that they promised us, was better and that ERod was just a mid-range guy, and there was no room for.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The lists went Bundy, Harvey, ERod.  No one was ever suggesting Wright was the better prospect.  He wasn't traded because of a lack of room, he was traded because Miller is the type of arm that makes a real impact in the playoffs.

I honestly have no clue where you are getting this from.

He was a good prospect dealing with some injuries when they traded him.  They gave up quality to get quality.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Thanks for that info.

Here is the article if anyone cares.  I copied some highlights. i know some people can't get the article from the Sun. Hopefully if they build another hotel it won't be as ugly as the thing by Camden Yards.

When Baltimore loses its biggest annual convention in 2020, it will mark the fourth time in as many years that a large group left the city to find more spacious quarters elsewhere.

Other groups whose events have outgrown the Baltimore Convention Center include include Otakon, a Japanese anime and lifestyle convention that relocated to Washington last year and the National Athletic Trainers' Association, which drew about 12,000 people and left after 2016. The American Society of Human Genetics, which drew about 8,000, moved on after 2015.

The Maryland Stadium Authority is reviewing proposals for additional exhibit space and possibly a second convention hotel. In the first phase of a feasibility study requested by Pugh and released in July, the agency found that expansion is needed to attract new business. The stadium authority will study costs of several scenarios in a second phase this fall.

Al Hutchinson, CEO of Visit Baltimore, called Natural Products Expo, the city’s largest convention, “an incredible loss for Baltimore city on a number of fronts” that will be hard to recover. The meeting generated $17.3 million in economic impact, he said.

“We have a group that loves Baltimore,” but ended up using every bit of available space, including space outside the center under tents, Hutchinson said.

The group needed more space because of growth in the health and wellness market, said Adam Andersen, senior vice president of events for New Hope Network, which runs the Natural Products convention. But the group would re-consider Baltimore in the future if it adds space, Andersen said.

The authority’s study ruled out a layout that also would have incorporated a new arena to replace the aging Royal Farms Arena, but advanced proposals to either expand the convention center alone or with a 500-room hotel on the site of the current 337-room Sheraton, which is privately-owned land.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-convention-loss-20180823-story.html

28 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Here is the article if anyone cares.  I copied some highlights. i know some people can't get the article from the Sun. Hopefully if they build another hotel it won't be as ugly as the thing by Camden Yards.

When Baltimore loses its biggest annual convention in 2020, it will mark the fourth time in as many years that a large group left the city to find more spacious quarters elsewhere.

Other groups whose events have outgrown the Baltimore Convention Center include include Otakon, a Japanese anime and lifestyle convention that relocated to Washington last year and the National Athletic Trainers' Association, which drew about 12,000 people and left after 2016. The American Society of Human Genetics, which drew about 8,000, moved on after 2015.

The Maryland Stadium Authority is reviewing proposals for additional exhibit space and possibly a second convention hotel. In the first phase of a feasibility study requested by Pugh and released in July, the agency found that expansion is needed to attract new business. The stadium authority will study costs of several scenarios in a second phase this fall.

Al Hutchinson, CEO of Visit Baltimore, called Natural Products Expo, the city’s largest convention, “an incredible loss for Baltimore city on a number of fronts” that will be hard to recover. The meeting generated $17.3 million in economic impact, he said.

“We have a group that loves Baltimore,” but ended up using every bit of available space, including space outside the center under tents, Hutchinson said.

The group needed more space because of growth in the health and wellness market, said Adam Andersen, senior vice president of events for New Hope Network, which runs the Natural Products convention. But the group would re-consider Baltimore in the future if it adds space, Andersen said.

The authority’s study ruled out a layout that also would have incorporated a new arena to replace the aging Royal Farms Arena, but advanced proposals to either expand the convention center alone or with a 500-room hotel on the site of the current 337-room Sheraton, which is privately-owned land.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-convention-loss-20180823-story.html

Man oh man that Otakon convention provided some GREAT people watching moment whenever it coincided with a home game. 

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Man oh man that Otakon convention provided some GREAT people watching moment whenever it coincided with a home game. 

Yes it did. But the Bronycon was the best or weirdest. Grown men dressed up as characters  from the Little Pony.  That was the best.

For 7 amazing years, this fandom has come together to help us host an amazing event. Next year will be our last BronyCon. Join us for a 4-day party, August 1-4, 2019 in Baltimore! Visit https://bronycon.org 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, what about the Wrights, Wrights and other names there, that they promised us, was better and that ERod was just a mid-range guy, and there was no room for.

EdRod was considered much better than Wright when he was with us.   He was a top 100 prospect.  

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Yes it did. But the Bronycon was the best or weirdest. Grown men dressed up as characters  from the Little Pony.  That was the best.

For 7 amazing years, this fandom has come together to help us host an amazing event. Next year will be our last BronyCon. Join us for a 4-day party, August 1-4, 2019 in Baltimore! Visit https://bronycon.org 

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If the Orioles have a home game during that stretch they may need to do a cross promotion. My Little BrOnies. 1/2 price tickets to anyone dressed in a My Little Pony costume. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to filling stadium seats on a last place team. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The list went Bundy, Harvey, ERod.

They knew what they were giving up in ERod.

Also, there is another team involved. Even if we think what we want to offer is enough. It's not. Until the other party says yes. That one was down to the wire., Dan knew that deal was there for him. He just had to say yes. 

Archived