Joseph for the second time calls out the team

Going Underground

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is leadership directly tied to OPS?

Last I checked, it's an indication of performance, and it's hard to have a poor performer being a leader.  Like pretty much every other business, your leaders are going to be top performers

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Last I checked, it's an indication of performance, and it's hard to have a poor performer being a leader.  Like pretty much every other business, your leaders are going to be top performers

I disagree.  If you bring it every night with intensity and passion and help others achieve their best, it doesn't matter.  It's way easier to look at performance and assume someone is a leader but attitude, preparedness and hustle certainly helps.  Rick Dempsey was a crappy hitter, doesn't mean he wasn't a leader.

Just now, Ruzious said:

If you don't care, why are you posting?  

You're just keying it in?  :noidea:

I care that the young players are getting playing time and figuring out what they need to work on in the offseason to get ready for '19.  I'm well past caring about wins and losses, this season was over months ago.

I admire Joseph's attitude this late in the season with absolutely nothing to play for, I'd imagine it's hard to show up to the ballpark each day.  While his attitude is admirable, it's way too late for a rallying the troops battle cry.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I mean, Tim Tebow seems to be a natural leader type guy.   On the field talent certainly helps leadership I would think in a sports setting but I don't think it's required.

Some (maybe most) people are leaders in one setting and followers in another setting.  As a fine college QB, Tebow was an excellent leader.  As a minor league baseball player, I'm guessing he wasn't.  I don't think you need to be a great player to be a leader, but it's hard to be a poor player and be a leader. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't say that was above replacement level.  I think Caleb's play is part of the problem for sure.  

If the rest of the team had played well, then a weak hitting catcher is not exposed as much.

So Caleb is part of the problem, just one of many many player, I agree.

I do not see a solid #1 catcher in the system at any level.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Dan Connolly posted a couple more choice quotes that the Sun missed.

"I’ve never seen sports teams survive seasons like this without people losing jobs, period”   I am really disappointed in Joseph, doesn't he know these players have been "grinding" all season long.  He going to need a 4 hour long pep rally with Bordick until he gets it into his little head that this is just a "slump",

18 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I was still kinda waffling a bit personally on what I thought about Buck and how much to blame him for this debacle of a season.  After this I'm pretty much convinced that it's time for him to go if there's no sense of accountability in the clubhouse.   That's inexcusable.

What are you going to replace the players with? This is the bed that Duquette made. When you mortgage the farm and give away draft picks like candy...what more do you expect? The chickens have come home to roost, folks. It doesn't matter who's manning the ship.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I disagree.  If you bring it every night with intensity and passion and help others achieve their best, it doesn't matter.  It's way easier to look at performance and assume someone is a leader but attitude, preparedness and hustle certainly helps.  Rick Dempsey was a crappy hitter, doesn't mean he wasn't a leader.

I care that the young players are getting playing time and figuring out what they need to work on in the offseason to get ready for '19.  I'm well past caring about wins and losses, this season was over months ago.

I admire Joseph's attitude this late in the season with absolutely nothing to play for, I'd imagine it's hard to show up to the ballpark each day.  While his attitude is admirable, it's way too late for a rallying the troops battle cry.

Rick Dempsey was a post-season star and World Series MVP and had a lifetime OPS+ of 87 vs Caleb's 70.  And Caleb's at 58 this season.      

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

What are you going to replace the players with? This is the bed that Duquette made. When you mortgage the farm and give away draft picks like candy...what more do you expect? The chickens have come home to roost, folks. It doesn't matter who's manning the ship.

Mortgage the farm? Even for you, this is a bit over the top.

They drafted heavy on pitchers, and so far, Bundy, Gausman and Harvey havent come through as expected.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah, its like firing the captain of the Titanic 5 minutes after you hit an iceberg.  It's a little late now.

Just now, Ruzious said:

Rick Dempsey was a post-season star and World Series MVP and had a lifetime OPS+ of 87 vs Caleb's 70.  And Caleb's at 58 this season.      

Dempsey was never ever known for his bat.

There isn't an Oriole fan around that predicted he would win the MVP of the WS, not even him or his wife, he even joked about it on MASN one night.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We'll agree on the "way too late" part.  

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dempsey was never ever known for his bat.

There isn't an Oriole fan around that predicted he would win the MVP of the WS, not even him or his wife, he even joked about it on MASN one night.

I agree, and yet Caleb Joseph doesn't compare to Rick Dempsey.  

Archived