Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Ownership has declared that money unspendable?  It's possible, but if it was stated, I missed it.

Oh no. I came across wrong. I said it was worthless. Not that anyone had told him not to spend it. Unspendable in that there were no foods on the Russian shelves unspendable. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, weams said:

So you were agreeing with me. Dan's ideas were nonexistent. Dan accumulated the money to spend. Dan was gone. Money went unspent. 

...but who did Dan report to? Someone must of signed off on this bold plan to acquire international money to sign the Mesa brothers. And then that someone doubled down on stupid by letting Brady lead the international effort after Dan left. Machado and Britton had to be traded. The other pieces should have been left for the new GM to do with as he saw fit. It's all hindsight now, but it wasn't the best start to the supposed passing of the torch. 

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but who did Dan report to? Someone must of signed off on this bold plan to acquire international money to sign the Mesa brothers. And then that someone doubled down on stupid by letting Brady lead the international effort after Dan left. Machado and Britton had to be traded. The other pieces should have been left for the new GM to do with as he saw fit. It's all hindsight now, but it wasn't the best start to the supposed passing of the torch. 

Really? I suspect it was Dan's plan. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't need to get approval?

I have to agree with @Can_of_corn. I can't imagine they would let a man who would be out of a job in two months implement such a major play unless they signed off. As I mentioned in a earlier post, trading Gausman and Schoop shouldn't have been Duquette's decision to make if they had no intention of bringing him back. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You made it sound like Dan was the reason they didn't offer more than they did to VVM.

Dan wasn't, but Brady might have been. He was in charge and we have no idea how hard he did  (or didn't) push for those signings. He can't throw Dan under the bus for that one because he wasn't here. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

I liked the plan. I supported Dan's new approach and attempt to spend the international slots as opposed to mass sell off. 

The problem is the plan wasn't well thought out or executed. They should have known whether or not they had a shot at the Mesa brothers before they put the plan in place. It was pretty clear that someone didn't do their homework. Either Dan or Brady. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The problem is the plan wasn't well thought out or executed. They should have known whether or not they had a shot at the Mesa brothers before they put the plan in place. It was pretty clear that someone didn't do their homework. Either Dan or Brady. 

The Orioles had a shot at the Mesa brothers until the Mesa brothers decided they didn't.  I don't know about you, but if I were the Mesa brothers I would wait until the very last minute to decide.  For the entertainment value if nothing else.  How far in advance did the Orioles need to have a prior commitment?

On 12/13/2018 at 6:47 PM, Sessh said:

I will remain skeptical of Elias's autonomy until I see enough to show otherwise, so in that respect, I'm on the hill with CoC. I found it quite surprising that Elias would flat out lie about hiring Hyde while it was simultaneously being announced on TV that we had hired him. That's kind of... weird. It's still early, but it does plant a small seed of doubt/skepticism/concern about Elias. It's too early for me to commit to anything regarding this situation, but that really threw up a "WTF" flag for me when I read about that on here and although I think Elias was the right hire for this club, there are some things I just need to see to believe. Too early, but I remain skeptical. Elias lying about hiring Hyde while it's being announced we hired him is just weird. I don't know what to make of that, but it didn't instill any confidence that's for sure. Maybe it was just a mess-up for the rookie GM. We'll see.

Isn't the more plausible answer re: Hyde is that the Orioles (and Elias) were doing their appropriate due diligence with the other candidates and wanted to ensure they were all notified that they were moving forward with another candidate? Or perhaps it wasn't 100% complete, i.e. approvals outside of the Orioles control? 

Archived