Orioles sign Nate Karns

interloper

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Especially when you've been an Orioles fan since the late 80s.  Very few reasons to be positive, wouldn't you agree?

Lots of reasons to be optimistic.

We have competent leader ship. Never again will we start a season with FIVE 1b/DH types(Alvarez, Davis, Mancini, Trumbo, Valencia) on the roster, or with a pitcher so bad his workouts were hidden from view, and without a utility infielder.

nowhere to go but up! Optimism...hell yeah!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I too am not sure what he brings other than the greatest indicator of future success (k/rate and k/bb rate).

His homerun rate is pretty high, and in a tiny little place like Camden yards, it will probably be higher. Think David Hess, And be afraid… Be very afraid.

On the other hand, ownership probably has 800 K lost in the cushions of their couch, so it’s no big deal.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

His homerun rate is pretty high, and in a tiny little place like Camden yards, it will probably be higher. Think David Hess, And be afraid… Be very afraid.

On the other hand, ownership probably has 800 K lost in the cushions of their couch, so it’s no big deal.

Assuming he's on the roster all year it's only around 250K since they would be paying a league minimum guy 550.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

How would you describe him? “Incompetent” sure seems to describe almost all of his major moves or non-moves, but I’m happy to be persuaded otherwise.

I’d describe him as someone unable to work magic from under the thumb of ownership.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

How would you describe him? “Incompetent” sure seems to describe almost all of his major moves or non-moves, but I’m happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Well now I'm very excited for the future......an incompetent GM got us to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years, just think what a competent GM can do! 

16 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’d describe him as someone unable to work magic from under the thumb of ownership.

I realized after I posted my question that the whole subject is irrelevant, because he is gone, but as long as you answered, the fact is that it is unlikely that most of the dumb decisions were forced on him by management.

What realistically can we expect from Karns? I mean it’s been 2 years well almost since he’s pitched. Realistically how many innings can he contribute. Is it a forgone conclusion that he will be in the rotation or could he be another bullpen arm? Where would he be best served? 

17 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Well now I'm very excited for the future......an incompetent GM got us to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years, just think what a competent GM can do! 

I think it’s more accurate to say that lady fortune smiled on us, that we had an excellent manager, or that McPhail left just in time to let someone else get the benefits of his work. Regardless, it’s irrelevant because Dan is gone.

And remains unemployed, too...

Archived