Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Davis has gotten so pitiful that when he gets a rare single, and doesn't strike out, its like he had a great day. 

Yeah, pretty much.   I would need to see him have decent success for a full month before concluding he’d made any real progress.   

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Davis has gotten so pitiful that when he gets a rare single, and doesn't strike out, its like he had a great day. 

I know it's silly, but I was pretty excited about what I saw yesterday. Not just the base hit, either. Whole vibe seemed different. It could be fleeting, and probably is!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know it's silly, but I was pretty excited about what I saw yesterday. Not just the base hit, either. Whole vibe seemed different. It could be fleeting, and probably is!

Every O's fan wants to see Davis come back to life. But It would be a miracle. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So somewhere between -.5 and 1.5 wins?

No thanks, I'll take the -2.8 win version.

Eh, I get it. It just makes me happy when he does well. I think there's a good chance if he does rebound a bit he still gets cut anyway. 

The most exciting players won't really be on the team for a good portion of the year so I'd rather watch Davis find something and not look like a complete shell. Plus, it's a great indicator that Elias/Long are employing some good techniques. 

Just now, interloper said:

Eh, I get it. It just makes me happy when he does well. I think there's a good chance if he does rebound a bit he still gets cut anyway. 

The most exciting players won't really be on the team for a good portion of the year so I'd rather watch Davis find something and not look like a complete shell. Plus, it's a great indicator that Elias/Long are employing some good techniques. 

I don't want him on the 2020 roster.  If he puts up a year at replacement level I think he will be back.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want him on the 2020 roster.  If he puts up a year at replacement level I think he will be back.

Ownership wants  have to recoup some of the Millions. Even if Davis bats .200 with 17 HR and 200 K's that's good enough. LOL

36 minutes ago, Natty said:

Ownership wants  have to recoup some of the Millions. Even if Davis bats .200 with 17 HR and 200 K's that's good enough. LOL

Recoup?  That implies they're keeping him around to get back value.  Last year they would have been almost three wins to the better if they'd sent him off to Aruba to hang out with Sidney Ponson all year.  If he hits .200 with 17 homers and 200 Ks he'll likely be worth almost nothing while they're paying him $23M.  The money is gone, they're not getting any of it back, and unless he has a dramatic turn around they're not getting any production out of it. 

If he really is cooked, the Orioles gain nothing and lose a win or two from his replacement from having him hang around wishing he could still play Major League baseball.

• Upvote 1