D. Hernandez struggling a bit today

Frobby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made it to my first Baysox game in a long time today. I was with my dad and had to leave after the 7th so I missed Wieters' shot. I did see Reimold's home run and it was crushed to just right of dead center. His 2 singles were also hit very hard.

Hernandez has some great stuff but he has a ways to go from a command standpoint. Even if he only gave up 1 ER the 8 baserunners in 4 IP were a fair representation of how he pitched.

Walker was just terrible. Everything was up. Who knows how much worse it would have been had the last batter not lined into a DP.

Cintron also played - 1 for 2. He was pinch-run for after his single. I assume they were just being cautious as I saw him watching the rest of the game from the top step of the dugout smiling.

First before I make any comments on David's game today, my wife and I had a very good time in Bowie!!:) I would like to thank several people for my stay. Baysoxfan, for your photos of David and the cd you gave us, thanks alot. Baysoxusher for your pleasantries, thank you. JustD and Weams you are the greatest and thank you Weams for introducing me to Tony. Tony, thank you for your book and for your time, it's always great to talk baseball and especially about the prospects who will soon be Orioles!!

Ok, now David's game, his walks are an issue that I'm confident he will overcome. Todays game came inches of possibly having another great game. His throwing error in the 3rd was a big changing moment. If that hadn't happened who knows how many K's he would of had, posssible 12, 13 who knows and could of probably made it into the 7th. So really David came from one throwing error from what Frobby puts "struggling" to having another great outing. This was a strange game to analyze because he dominated in a sense(9 k's), the 5 hits were not hit hard at all and in fact some of those hits were very good pitches that the ball found the bat.:( His walks yes, that's an issue but 2 of then came in the first inning and 1 had an 1-2 pitch that David threw a fastball on the outside corner that was called a ball and then ended up walking him. That pitch 4 out of 5 times would of probably been a strike(probably by the same umpire) and those umpires that's another story possble another thread that I don't care to get into. Today's stats are very misleading, you had to be at the game. I came away scratching my head.:scratchchinhmm:

This was a strange game to analyze because he dominated in a sense(9 k's), the 5 hits were not hit hard at all and in fact some of those hits were very good pitches that the ball found the bat.:( His walks yes, that's an issue but 2 of then came in the first inning and 1 had an 1-2 pitch that David threw a fastball on the outside corner that was called a ball and then ended up walking him. That pitch 4 out of 5 times would of probably been a strike(probably by the same umpire) and those umpires that's another story possble another thread that I don't care to get into. Today's stats are very misleading, you had to be at the game. I came away scratching my head.:scratchchinhmm:

I agree with you. I found myself watching the game then double-checking the stats while wondering what would happen next, be it good or bad. As Mike Griffin said, it was a very up and down day for David. His throwing error was a huge turning point in the game but overall it wasn't a bad performance.

Good to hear. His previous start was his best because he only walked one there. Control's the only thin stopping him; his stuff seems to be tremendous.

Next start is important.

Yeah the title of this thread should have been, "Henandez not perfect". Nine strike outs in 4ip give me a break. Only 1 earned run. What do we expect from him? Sometimes expectations around here get a little too unrealistic. To say he struggled is a stretch.

Yeah the title of this thread should have been, "Henandez not perfect". Nine strike outs in 4ip give me a break. Only 1 earned run. What do we expect from him? Sometimes expectations around here get a little too unrealistic. To say he struggled is a stretch.

To be fair to Frobby, Hernandez had been credited with 4 ER when he started this thread. The scoring changed for whatever reason.

First before I make any comments on David's game today, my wife and I had a very good time in Bowie!!:) I would like to thank several people for my stay. Baysoxfan, for your photos of David and the cd you gave us, thanks alot. Baysoxusher for your pleasantries, thank you. JustD and Weams you are the greatest and thank you Weams for introducing me to Tony. Tony, thank you for your book and for your time, it's always great to talk baseball and especially about the prospects who will soon be Orioles!!

Ok, now David's game, his walks are an issue that I'm confident he will overcome. Todays game came inches of possibly having another great game. His throwing error in the 3rd was a big changing moment. If that hadn't happened who knows how many K's he would of had, posssible 12, 13 who knows and could of probably made it into the 7th. So really David came from one throwing error from what Frobby puts "struggling" to having another great outing. This was a strange game to analyze because he dominated in a sense(9 k's), the 5 hits were not hit hard at all and in fact some of those hits were very good pitches that the ball found the bat.:( His walks yes, that's an issue but 2 of then came in the first inning and 1 had an 1-2 pitch that David threw a fastball on the outside corner that was called a ball and then ended up walking him. That pitch 4 out of 5 times would of probably been a strike(probably by the same umpire) and those umpires that's another story possble another thread that I don't care to get into. Today's stats are very misleading, you had to be at the game. I came away scratching my head.:scratchchinhmm:

Glad you had such a good time! We're a pretty good bunch if I do say so myself. :D

I share your confidence that David will work things out. He's got the talent, the attitude, and the brain to make it happen. More than most other minor league pitchers I've watched, he has the ability to make opposing hitters look absolutely clueless at the plate. Mike brought it up earlier in this thread and I said EXACTLY the same thing to Adam Vencill in Frederick last year..."It's almost not fair to be expected to hit off this guy."

One or two less walks per game will make him look like a completely different pitcher in the boxscore.

Thank you for the excellent post. It just proves that you can't judge an outing based on the line score. I was thinking that they couldn't have been hitting the ball very hard with nine strike outs. I'm happy to hear that his outing was a good one in which he just got a few bad breaks.

I always enjoy meeting the players family, I try to help make their visit to Bowie something they can remember. Hope you enjoy the photo's for many years.

I hope to see you all back in Sept. when the Baysox go to the play offs!! :clap3:

I was thinking that they couldn't have been hitting the ball very hard with nine strike outs.

I've seen games where that's exactly what happens. The pitcher strikes out a lot of guys and gets shelled at the same time. Never figured out why.

Archived