D. Hernandez struggling a bit today

Frobby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 IP, 4 H,4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K's. All the hits have been singles, but 7 baserunners in 3 innings isn't good.

It's the walks that concern me the most. Singles I can deal with...at least you're making the guy put the ball in play.

Mike Miller...how is his location? Is he around the strikezone? Just missing? Is he pitching to contact? How is he mixing up pitches?

It's the walks that concern me the most. Singles I can deal with...at least you're making the guy put the ball in play.

Mike Miller...how is his location? Is he around the strikezone? Just missing? Is he pitching to contact? How is he mixing up pitches?

It looks like his stuff is there, at least to me it does. Seems like he's having trouble harnessing it consistently. The breaking stuff looks nasty today. We were commenting in the press box about how unfair it must be to have to try and hit it. He started three of the four innings he lasted with a strikeout but then again, with the walks, it's like he's having trouble finishing guys off.

It looks like his stuff is there, at least to me it does. Seems like he's having trouble harnessing it consistently. The breaking stuff looks nasty today. We were commenting in the press box about how unfair it must be to have to try and hit it. He started three of the four innings he lasted with a strikeout but then again, with the walks, it's like he's having trouble finishing guys off.

I don't mean this as a criticism, but to me that sounds like a confidence thing. I saw him step outside his comfort zone last year in Frederick and throw the changeup to right-handed hitters. The result was his 18 K performance.

It sounds to me like he's getting ahead and then over-thinking or trying to finesse the ball around the strikezone. If he keeps the ball down and mixes his pitches, he can go right at guys. That "unfair" breaking stuff is what I saw every time I've seen him as well. He's got to trust it and be a little more aggressive.

I don't mean this as a criticism, but to me that sounds like a confidence thing. I saw him step outside his comfort zone last year in Frederick and throw the changeup to right-handed hitters. The result was his 18 K performance.

It sounds to me like he's getting ahead and then over-thinking or trying to finesse the ball around the strikezone. If he keeps the ball down and mixes his pitches, he can go right at guys. That "unfair" breaking stuff is what I saw every time I've seen him as well. He's got to trust it and be a little more aggressive.

You'd think he'd want to throw it more often with results like those, huh?

Hernandez's last start might have been his best of the year in terms of walks-only one. It's a shame he's struggling again.
He's not really struggling that bad.

He walked two in the first, but settled down afterwards.

His day is done, btw.

4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9K

I don't like that at all. Our younger guys need to learn some responsibility. I say give him the 4 ER! ;)

The runs were unearned because of a throwing error that Hernandez committed. He probably feels responsible.

Archived