Free Agent Team

Bahama O's Fan

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He does have kids, Ive heard players before, when they hit this age range, its harder and harder to pull away from your kids in order to play ball. By the time you hang it up at 40, they are gone and in college and on their own.

How much money does one need?

I doubt Adam is looking to hang ‘em up.    

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe not, maybe he is looking for the right fit, and not just willing to take anything?

He might be waiting out Spring Training to see if anybody gets injured. At this point, he might only be getting offers to be a 4th outfielder, maybe he thinks a starting opportunity could open up.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

He might be waiting out Spring Training to see if anybody gets injured. At this point, he might only be getting offers to be a 4th outfielder, maybe he thinks a starting opportunity could open up.

Im surprised a bit, that his tweeter feed is quieter, thats not too much like his normal MO.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

He does have kids, Ive heard players before, when they hit this age range, its harder and harder to pull away from your kids in order to play ball. By the time you hang it up at 40, they are gone and in college and on their own.

How much money does one need?

He's 33... and his oldest son is around 5/6 years old.  IMO he has 2-3 seasons left in him so that would put him at 36 years old... so unless his kids plan on going to college at ages 6 and 8, then I don't think that has any impact on him.

He probably wants a multi-year offer at a high price. He stated last year that he wants play where he can get a ring, so he could be picky with his offers right now. 

He's training in AZ and says he is good shape but I think we can all agree that he's on the downward trend of his career.  Also, that refusing a trade may have rubbed some GM's the wrong way.

30 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

He's 33... and his oldest son is around 5/6 years old.  IMO he has 2-3 seasons left in him so that would put him at 36 years old... so unless his kids plan on going to college at ages 6 and 8, then I don't think that has any impact on him.

He probably wants a multi-year offer at a high price. He stated last year that he wants play where he can get a ring, so he could be picky with his offers right now. 

He's training in AZ and says he is good shape but I think we can all agree that he's on the downward trend of his career.  Also, that refusing a trade may have rubbed some GM's the wrong way.

Teams with solid chance of a ring are in pretty good shape.

He would not be the first person to refuse a trade, its not like he is a club house cancer.

I dont think thats playing a part in this. IMO

24 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is a replacement level player not willing to play for a replacement level salary...  I wish him luck in his new venture(s).

How do you know what he's looking to make?

What's replacement level salary btw?

34 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I don't think GMs care one bit about him refusing a trade. He's not going to have 10-and-5 rights with whoever he signs with. He certainly isn't going to get a no trade clause at this point in his career. It's a non-issue.

Jones is just in a tough spot because he's well past 30, he struggles at getting on base, and his defense is declining. The Indians don't want to spend any money, and the Giants are rebuilding. Not a lot of landing spots for him if he wants to start.

11 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't think GMs care one bit about him refusing a trade. He's not going to have 10-and-5 rights with whoever he signs with. He certainly isn't going to get a no trade clause at this point in his career. It's a non-issue.

Jones is just in a tough spot because he's well past 30, he struggles at getting on base, and his defense is declining. The Indians don't want to spend any money, and the Giants are rebuilding. Not a lot of landing spots for him if he wants to start.

He refused the trade because of shifting to a COF position and decreased playing time, he stated that he would rather market himself then help another team (Phillies).  Seeing that the Phillies moved pretty quick on McCutchen this offseason ... IMO it was an issue there.  

17 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

He refused the trade because of shifting to a COF position and decreased playing time, he stated that he would rather market himself then help another team (Phillies).  Seeing that the Phillies moved pretty quick on McCutchen this offseason ... IMO it was an issue there.  

McCutchen is a significantly better player though. McCutchen was worth 2.7 WAR last year, Jones was only worth .2. That's the issue.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

McCutchen is a significantly better player though. McCutchen was worth 2.7 WAR last year, Jones was only worth .2. That's the issue.

McCuthchen is only a couple of years away from a worse season and -.5

Jones might have had just an off year last season like the rest of the team.

Archived