Free Agent Team

Bahama O's Fan

25 minutes ago, theocean said:

McCutchen is a significantly better player though. McCutchen was worth 2.7 WAR last year, Jones was only worth .2. That's the issue.

I would not say significantly better.  Both can't play CF anymore and both have very similar offensive numbers.  Jones could be a defensive liability but I think he just had a down year.  The entire 2018 Orioles was just one huge train wreck

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Jones might have had just an off year last season like the rest of the team.

Teams value WAR. They value OBP and defense. They value power. All of those metrics have declined for AJ. He will get a shot somewhere, but he will have to prove it all over again.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Teams value WAR. They value OBP and defense. They value power. All of those metrics have declined for AJ. He will get a shot somewhere, but he will have to prove it all over again.

Cakes had little OBP and very little power, and at the time his defense was on the decline.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is a replacement level player not willing to play for a replacement level salary...  I wish him luck in his new venture(s).

I would not be that hasty calling him a replacement level player.   While his performance last year was close to that (0.2 rWAR), that was his first time under 1.4 rWAR in 11 years.    Lots of guys have had one down season and bounced back.    Of course, I don’t think Jones will return to being a good centerfielder, so that limits his upside, but it wouldn’t take much for him to be a 1.5-2.0 rWAR corner OF.     I’d certainly think the right team would invest several million dollars in him.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I would not be that hasty calling him a replacement level player.   While his performance last year was close to that (0.2 rWAR), that was his first time under 1.4 rWAR in 11 years.    Lots of guys have had one down season and bounced back.    Of course, I don’t think Jones will return to being a good centerfielder, so that limits his upside, but it wouldn’t take much for him to be a 1.5-2.0 rWAR corner OF.     I’d certainly think the right team would invest several million dollars in him.    

I think Jones is a COF, but could play emergency CF, better than some other COF. Could you image Mancini or Trumbo in CF?

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cakes had little OBP and very little power, and at the time his defense was on the decline.

Part of Cakes' game was always OBP. That's never been Jones' game. If his power declines and his defense is a liability, he doesn't have that to fall back on. 

I hope he signs and has a good year. I think he can, but there's a reason (several) the market isn't rich. That's really all I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Part of Cakes' game was always OBP. That's never been Jones' game. If his power declines and his defense is a liability, he doesn't have that to fall back on. 

I hope he signs and has a good year. I think he can, but there's a reason (several) the market isn't rich. That's really all I'm saying.

His OBP on been on the decline his last two years.

There is a lack of depth at the COF across MLB, there should be a spot for Jones, if he wants it.

6 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

37 years old and his era has been over 5.00 in three of the last five seasons. Also annually among the league leaders in home runs allowed. Yeah, he's just what this team needs. 

And if he eats some innings and allows them not to rush a young guy, who cares if his era is 5. What's this team winning that it hurts? Yeah, who needs 200 innings from a SP. 

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Probably right.

Here's the breakdown by 2018 numbers

Player  GS IP  ERA  

Keuchel 34 204 3.74
Jackson 17 92  3.33
Shields 33 204 4.53
G. Gonzalez 32 171 4.21
M. Gonzales 3 12 12.41   
M. Gonzalez (2017) 22 133 4.31

All but G. Gonzalez played in the AL.

Now here's the 2018 Orioles still on the roster who may start in 2019:

Bundy 31 171 5.45
Cashner 28 153 5.29
Cobb 128 52.4.90
Hess 19 103 4.88

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

And if he eats some innings and allows them not to rush a young guy, who cares if his era is 5. What's this team winning that it hurts? Yeah, who needs 200 innings from a SP. 

I understand that this team won't win many games, but we can do better than signing arguably one of the worst pitchers in baseball. And the Orioles don't have any young pitchers to rush. All the names being bandied about to fill out their rotation won't play a part in the rebuild. 

PS) Shields  ERA would be 6+ in the AL East. 

12 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I understand that this team won't win many games, but we can do better than signing arguably one of the worst pitchers in baseball. And the Orioles don't have any young pitchers to rush. All the names being bandied about to fill out their rotation won't play a part in the rebuild. 

PS) Shields  ERA would be 6+ in the AL East. 

A guy with a 4.5 era  who pitched 200+ innings and gave up less hits than innings pitched is hardly the worst pitcher in baseball. I really don't care if they sign him. I was just saying I wouldn't mind if they did.

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

Jones WAR over the last 3 years- 4.2

McCutchen WAR over the last 3 years- 4.7 

They were born 10 months apart.

Jones - 1.4, 2.6, 0.2; 32.4 career

McCutchen - -0.5, 2.4, 2.7, 42.0 career

McCutchen’s a much better bet.    Now, does it makes sense for him to get 3/$50 mm while Jones is still waiting on a contract in mid-March?    No, not really.    

Archived