Can someone explain to me why Melky Cabrera is highly regarded?

Mark J

Can someone explain to me why Melky Cabrera is highly regarded? I just don't see why he's been a target of other teams in trade discussions over the last year or more. His stats seem mediocre - both from the minor & majors - although he does seem to have been young for each level that he played in. His OBP is up & down, his OPS has been nothing to write home about & he hasn't even had strong SB numbers.

What am I missing?

From mlbtrade rumors...

"Should the Jarrod Washburn deal fall apart, the Yankees are exploring an alternative in Brian Bannister for Melky Cabrera."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/yankees-eyein-1.html

Even though he's had a rough year, bases on the last couple years I'd think Bannister is worth more than Cabrera.

A .360 OBP in the majors at the age of 21. That's an awful lot of the reason.

In the past two years he's regressed for some reason. But he was a MLB-average LF at 21, and not too many folks can say that.

True about the OBP, although he had a pitiful SLG of .391 that year. He had 12 SB, but is that enough of a SB threat to offset the SLG? How's his defense?

Maybe the KC rumor was speculative but for a team that already has DeJesus in CF I'd think they'd want someone more promising than Cabrera in return for Bannister, even if less proven at the ML level.

True about the OBP, although he had a pitiful SLG of .391 that year. He had 12 SB, but is that enough of a SB threat to offset the SLG? How's his defense?

Maybe the KC rumor was speculative but for a team that already has DeJesus in CF I'd think they'd want someone more promising than Cabrera in return for Bannister, even if less proven at the ML level.

Above average. Great arm and gets a good jump on balls. Lacks speed to get to some balls.

I wouldn't do that deal if I'm Dayton Moore. On pure value they might be equivalent, who knows though because Cabrera is so inconsistent at the plate. But Moore doesn't need another fringey OFer. If I was going to deal Bannister it would be for someone with more potential. Moore needs someone in the OF with the opportunity to be clearly better than DeJesus and Gathright, and Melky isn't that.

Archived