Two fresh arms available for Friday

wildcard

Alex Cobb has been announced as Friday's starter.  That roster move will happen.   Right now I think Castro gets optioned to make room.

But they is a second arm that could be considered.  Yefry Ramirez turn to pitch in Norfolk is Friday.  He as had two starts, went 9 innings and not allowed a run yet.   Elias/Hyde may be considering him for the  O's pen.

I think Hess could be optioned to make room.  JMG.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the onslaught of messages... Isnt Castro out of options? I agree that Hess would be a good guy to option. Call up Yefry, and take it from there.  We’re getting to a point where guys from AAA are going to have to come up and just take one for the team if need be. Or they could like be successful. 

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Before the onslaught of messages... Isnt Castro out of options? I agree that Hess would be a good guy to option. Call up Yefry, and take it from there.  We’re getting to a point where guys from AAA are going to have to come up and just take one for the team if need be. Or they could like be successful. 

You are right.   I just checked.  Castro was optioned and has stayed in the minors for 20 days three times.   2015, 2016, 2017.    I stand corrected.  I thought he had an option left.  That makes sending him down too hard to do.  He throws too hard and has been good enough in past seasons to make it through waivers.

So for my part I will have to re-think who could/should be sent down.

Just now, interloper said:

Ah, good to know. 

Hess would be another option to send down but it's probably too early to give up just yet. But good lord.

Optioning a player is not giving up on him.  He has to stay down 10 days.   Take a breather.  Make some adjustments and come back and try again.  This will probably happen to young players all season.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

According to Roster Resource (who are usually on point) he has one option remaining. 

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-baltimore-orioles/

Lucas is the most likely pitcher to be optioned when Cobb returns with Means going to the bullpen.

Castro has certainly pitched his way back to the minors and I would not be upset to see him optioned as well. Yefry Ramirez does give the team some more length in the pen.

Archived