O's forced to bring up an outfielder?

wildcard

If Mancini is day to day which could stretch to several days, then the outfield is Smith, Richard and Wilkerson and no 4th outfielder.  There is no other experienced outfielder on the 25 man roster.     So they are probably forced to call up Stewart or Santander.  Mullins has to stay down for 10 days.

They don't want to IL Mancini so the player that will go down will have to be a pitcher.  Castro? Scott?  Yacabonis?  You pick which one.

They also could bring Josh Lucas back up and DFA Josh Rogers while sending another of those three down.   Rogers has not pitched well in the majors or minors this season and will probably make it through waiver.  He is young (24) and has options but would anyone really want him on their 40 man roster?  We might find out.

They would probably like Ramirez up at this point to help the pen but he can't pitch until Tuesday.    We could see him then.

I have to feeling that the O's management knows that they have to make changes in the pen as soon as possible.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they are going to option Mancini.  

Would be easier to IL him.

I don't think he is optioned or put on the IL.  I think he stays on the active roster on a day to day status until they determine he will to out for 5 days or more.   Hopefully he is back before that.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think he is optioned or put on the IL.  I think he stays on the active roster on a day to day status until they determine he will to out for 5 days or more.   Hopefully he is back before that.

I don't think either happens myself.  But if it does I think it will be the IL and not optioned.  I don't recall anyone being optioned instead of being put on the IL.  In fact I think the union would have issues with such an act since it would impact service time.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hyde said after game with Thorne they may be adding an arm.

Alberto can play OF it needed.  

Well, any arm being added would be at the expense of one going down, obviously. 

We could send two pitchers down and bring up a pitcher and an OF.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Mancini is day to day which could stretch to several days, then the outfield is Smith, Richard and Wilkerson and no 4th outfielder.  There is no other experienced outfielder on the 25 man roster.     So they are probably forced to call up Stewart or Santander.  Mullins has to stay down for 10 days.

They don't want to DFA Mancini so the player that will go down will have to be a pitcher.  Castro? Scott?  Yacabonis?  You pick which one.

They also could bring Josh Lucas back up and DFA Josh Rogers while sending another of those three down.   Rogers has not pitched well in the majors or minors this season and will probably make it through waiver.  He is young (24) and has options but would anyone really want him on their 40 man roster?  We might find out.

They would probably like Ramirez up at this point to help the pen but he can't pitch until Tuesday.    We could see him then.

I have to feeling that the O's management knows that they have to make changes in the pen as soon as possible.

I think you used DFA instead of the more correct, “option,” But even if they option to Mancini, he would have to be down for 10 days, and injury list to stay would begin tomorrow but be backdated today, so he would only need to be down for nine days. That way they can bring up whoever is hitting best, and deal with them for nine days. 

Because nobody down in the farm is playing outstanding, now might be a good time to reward a faithful soldier. It doesn’t really matter who, because half of our offense got injured today.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We already have a three-man bench, you’re suggesting that they stumble along with a two-man bench(Who is the Emergency catcher?) For five days. I think they’re going to decide tonight whether to put them on the injured list, and then call up a flip a coin kind of guy.

If they’re bringing up an arm, I hope they will send down Yac and Scott and call up pretty much anyone. I like Yacabonis And I think today was surprising, but it must’ve been really stressful for him to deal with his performance today, and sending him down might help.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think you used DFA instead of the more correct, “option,” But even if they option to Mancini, he would have to be down for 10 days, and injury list to stay would begin tomorrow but be backdated today, so he would only need to be down for nine days. That way they can bring up whoever is hitting best, and deal with them for nine days. 

Because nobody down in the farm is playing outstanding, now might be a good time to reward a faithful soldier. It doesn’t really matter who, because half of our offense got injured today.

Oops.  I meant IL.   I changed it in the OP.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

We already have a three-man bench, you’re suggesting that they stumble along with a two-man bench(Who is the Emergency catcher?) For five days. I think they’re going to decide tonight whether to put them on the injured list, and then call up a flip a coin kind of guy.

If they’re bringing up an arm, I hope they will send down Yac and Scott and call up pretty much anyone. I like Yacabonis And I think today was surprising, but it must’ve been really stressful for him to deal with his performance today, and sending him down might help.

The topic of the thread is they are force to bring up an outfielder.

Just now, wildcard said:

The topic of the thread is they are force to bring up an outfielder.

But someone quoted Hyde from the postgame talking about bringing up an arm, so that is added to the potential Sunday roster move discussion.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But someone quoted Hyde from the postgame talking about bringing up an arm, so that is added to the potential Sunday roster move discussion.

Right.   I changed the title.  The point has been made that Davis or Alberto could play the outfield.  I guess that is true.  I do think they have to bring a position player up if Mancini can't play.  I don't see them going with a two man bench.

Archived