Tanner Scott: Why isn't he at Norfolk?

interloper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Pennington certainly has come into my mind when I watch him pitch as well.

The big thing this year is the slider has not been very good compared to last year and his velocity is down 1.5 MPH. When you add it to his legendary inconsistency from one outing to the next, he's a guy you let try and figure it out in AAA, not in Baltimore where you will end up stressing the rest of your bullpen to cover for a guy who sometimes can''t get anyone out.

If they had a full pen with the ability to get hitters out I would agree.

I'm fine with him bouncing back and forth.

The pen needs to absorb innings.

He's walking too many people and has allowed 2 HR in less than 7 IP, so he hasn't pitched well.  But his BABIP is over .500, so he's a victim of bad luck so far (and had similar bad luck last season), and pitchers who can strike out well over a man an inning don't grow on trees.  I don't have a problem with guys like him and Castro, with high-ceiling stuff but bad command, working out the kinds in Baltimore or in Norfolk depending on what the big league team needs in terms of soaking up innings.  

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, and they all say basically, “wow he could be really great if only…”

And what do the O's lose by giving him innings?  He isn't blocking anyone and they aren't competitive.

He's the type of guy they should be trying to acquire.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny since it was a play on Interloper saying "I'm still not seeing a compelling reason why he shouldn't be getting some more seasoning at AAA.".

If one is meaningless why isn't the other?

I don't think it makes two shakes of a dogs tail worth of difference to Scott's development if he is in AAA or pitching for a AAA team in the majors.

It probably depends on the person, right? If he's a guy who gets down on himself, loses confidence, tries to overcompensate after he gets his butt stomped in - probably keep him in AAA. If it's the other way, let him figure it out in the majors.

I trust that the GM and coaches who actually know him have a better idea of where he needs to be than us behind the keyboard.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And what do the O's lose by giving him innings?  He isn't blocking anyone and they aren't competitive.

He's the type of guy they should be trying to acquire.

Actually, hard but wild throwers should not be a target.

I just read three Prospect reports on him, and they all said the same thing. Paraphrasing, “He could be really great except his control is a serious problem.” The 2017 report on him said that no one in The system throws harder, but no one in the system throws fewer strikes. Two years later that hasn’t changed.

Yes, this is a bad team, and if his presence on the big team does not interfere with the players around him then sure, no harm in keeping him up. However it has been pointed out that unless he is on, he comes in, gives up hits walks and runs, and then leaves. That doesn’t help the bullpen or the team. It’s not really meaningful to talk about Fwar after only 6+ innings but he’s -.1.

Because the team this season appears to be all about finding out what we have in our minor-leaguers, and Scott has shown no meaningful improvement, The best choice at this time is to put him down and let someone come up and show what they can or can’t do. IMHO, The best thing for him and for the team probably, would be to package him in one of the inevitable summer trades. He does have splendid potential, but he is not progressing with us, and he might with someone else.

7 minutes ago, theocean said:

It probably depends on the person, right? If he's a guy who gets down on himself, loses confidence, tries to overcompensate after he gets his butt stomped in - probably keep him in AAA. If it's the other way, let him figure it out in the majors.

I trust that the GM and coaches who actually know him have a better idea of where he needs to be than us behind the keyboard.

If he's that kind of guy they should send him to A ball after how he pitched in Norfolk.  ?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually, hard but wild throwers should not be a target.

I just read three Prospect reports on him, and they all said the same thing. Paraphrasing, “He could be really great except his control is a serious problem.” The 2017 report on him said that no one in The system throws harder, but no one in the system throws fewer strikes. Two years later that hasn’t changed.

Yes, this is a bad team, and if his presence on the big team does not interfere with the players around him then sure, no harm in keeping him up. However it has been pointed out that unless he is on, he comes in, gives up hits walks and runs, and then leaves. That doesn’t help the bullpen or the team. It’s not really meaningful to talk about Fwar after only 6+ innings but he’s -.1.

Because the team this season appears to be all about finding out what we have in our minor-leaguers, and Scott has shown no meaningful improvement, The best choice at this time is to put him down and let someone come up and show what they can or can’t do. IMHO, The best thing for him and for the team probably, would be to package him in one of the inevitable summer trades. He does have splendid potential, but he is not progressing with us, and he might with someone else.

That isn't the point I was making at all.

I'm actually surprised you would come to that conclusion.

What I was referring to was high risk high reward players.  If Scott does figure it out he would be a back of the bullpen weapon.

You said this before and I refuted it and you didn't answer my point.  This just isn't accurate, Scott has shown growth over the last few seasons.  Obviously he has taken a step back this season but to say he hasn't shown meaningful improvement over the years just is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't the point I was making at all.

I'm actually surprised you would come to that conclusion.

What I was referring to was high risk high reward players.  If Scott does figure it out he would be a back of the bullpen weapon.

You said this before and I refuted it and you didn't answer my point.  This just isn't accurate, Scott has shown growth over the last few seasons.  Obviously he has taken a step back this season but to say he hasn't shown meaningful improvement over the years just is incorrect.

My point is that his improvement has been incremental. It hasn’t changed his fundamental ability to be a productive player. So, yes, as I said, it has not been meaningful improvement, because it is not enough for him to be a productive part of a .500 club. I’ve said this multiple times and it remains valid. 

So I did rebut your comment, you must have missed it. But look at your own comment. You yourself just said, “if he does figure it out…”

1) His improvement has been incremental but not meaningful.

2) At his current level of performance he is not a part of even a .500 club.

3)  it is extremely common for hard throwers to fail because they do not develop the necessary control. 

4)At your suggestion I just read three different prospect reports, and they all said essentially the same thing;  he has a lot of potential and a high ceiling if he can develop the necessary control. 

5) he hasn’t.

6)  at this point he is a drag on the major-league bullpen, and it is better for the team short term and long term, just send him down and bring up somebody else and let that other person have a shot. 

Those are my points and I have made them repeatedly and clearly let me close by saying that I want him to do well and to figure it out. Who wouldn’t want to have Randy Johnson in their bullpen?

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

My point is that his improvement has been incremental. It hasn’t changed his fundamental ability to be a productive player. So, yes, as I said, it has not been meaningful improvement, because it is not enough for him to be a productive part of a .500 club. I’ve said this multiple times and it remains valid. 

So I did rebut your comment, you must have missed it. But look at your own comment. You yourself just said, “if he does figure it out…”

1) His improvement has been incremental but not meaningful.

2) At his current level of performance he is not a part of even a .500 club.

3)  it is extremely common for hard throwers to fail because they do not develop the necessary control. 

4)At your suggestion I just read three different prospect reports, and they all said essentially the same thing;  he has a lot of potential and a high ceiling if he can develop the necessary control. 

5) he hasn’t.

6)  at this point he is a drag on the major-league bullpen, and it is better for the team short term and long term, just send him down and bring up somebody else and let that other person have a shot. 

Those are my points and I have made them repeatedly and clearly let me close by saying that I want him to do well and to figure it out. Who wouldn’t want to have Randy Johnson in their bullpen?

1-His development was meaningful.  He's taken a step back this year but he had some very encouraging numbers in the majors last year.

2- That covers what 2/3 of the roster?

3- You know it is extremely common for all players to fail.  More guys have been doomed by a lack of velocity.

4- Thanks.  Right, high ceiling.  Don't we want that?

5- Hasn't what?  Shown growth?  He had a FIP in the 3.00's last season, in the majors.

6- I've never said they should keep him up.  I said they shouldn't just leave him down there.  When they need him to eat innings, call him up.

Honestly I think you simply don't like watching him pitch because you don't like watching walks. 

Archived