vs. D-RAYS, 7/12

OFFNY

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't see the point.  It won't change anything long term, would just make a few fans feel better.

While I certainly get where you're coming from, the kind of play we're seeing from some guys is just unacceptable. I would rather see some accountability rather than none. I think we've seen enough of Smith, so let's bring Mason Williams up or something and see what he can do. He has been adequate in other stints in the majors, so maybe he can be adequate now. I know that most of it will likely be exchanging lousy players for other lousy players, but I think it's something that should be done periodically.  It's bad enough that Davis is still here no matter how bad he is, but that shouldn't apply to everyone else.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes you are correct. I was complaining about this earlier in the season, but the fact is that too many of the guys who deserve are either out of options and can’t be put on waivers because they would be claimed, have enough service time that they could refuse being optioned, Or are considered otherwise irreplaceable.

Hyde can yell at Villar or Davis or Smith or Alberto or Sisco or Ynoa all he wants and they don’t care a bit. They start tomorrow and they know it.

Not too many  of these guys are getting claimed.  For example Broxton and Wilkerson would not be claimed.

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Well, if Shepard hadn't pitched tonight for Norfolk, could of brought him up for someone. Maybe IL Bundy if he injured something during his "stop/start" warm up earlier. Or DFA Smith Jr, Davis, Broxton, ring every GM on their phone about Villar, ect.

I agree that there are a few pitchers who might be called up. 

But if you get rid of Smith or Broxton, who takes their place? The position player cupboard is pretty bare.

Fine to try to trade Villar, but I doubt there's a deal there. If there is, it likely would be right at the deadline. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don’t think you should get credit for a sacrifice fly when there is one out in the 9th and you are down by 13 runs.

You're right, that could very possibly be the least valuable sac fly in the history of major league baseball in terms of win probability.

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I meant specifically. Who should be sent down or DFAd? Who should be called up? 

Well think about this: how many guys on this 25-man roster will be on our next .500 team? Villar Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez, Smith, Mancini, Davis, Wilk all gone. Maybe more. Martin in AAA, Cash, Bundy gone, Castro, Bleier, Eshelman, Wojo, Brooks, all gone, traded or replaced. Everybody. Everybody. Maybe even Sisco.

so in answer to your question, ANYONE. DFA ANYONE. Does it matter who replaces them? We have twenty-seven wins! For some reason, we aren’t going to call up anyone who has a chance to be on our next winning team, so the slop we have is the slop we have. I’m all for DFA-ingeverybody.

Ive said it before but it won’t happen because I dunno why. But it won’t happen.what does Hyde say?

”This is who we have.”

So oh well. Villar plays like crap today and starts tomorrow. He knows it and you know it, and no, he has no trade value.

oh well, let’s enjoy it now, because on October 2, we will miss it.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree that there are a few pitchers who might be called up. 

But if you get rid of Smith or Broxton, who takes their place? The position player cupboard is pretty bare.

Fine to try to trade Villar, but I doubt there's a deal there. If there is, it likely would be right at the deadline. 

At this point, does it really matter? Try Mason Williams. Bring back Jace Peterson, Chris Bostick, hell, just bring up Ademar Rifaela.

It is just stupid seeing these plays and these players seemingly get zero repercussions for it, joking in the dugout, ect.

Broxton is nowhere close to the top of the DFA list right now. Smith Jr has no value offensively or defensively and his speed isn't good enough to be a bench asset. He literally brings nothing. Ynoa isn't helping the team, Wojo hasn't been great etc.. Both Broxton and Martin bring speed and defense off the bench and can start occasionally. They have SOME value.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well think about this: how many guys on this 25-man roster will be on our next .500 team? Villar Alberto, Ruiz, Nunez, Smith, Mancini, Davis, Wilk all gone. Maybe more. Martin in AAA, Cash, Bundy gone, Castro, Bleier, Eshelman, Wojo, Brooks, all gone, traded or replaced. Everybody. Everybody. Maybe even Sisco.

so in answer to your question, ANYONE. DFA ANYONE. Does it matter who replaces them? We have twenty-seven wins! For some reason, we aren’t going to call up anyone who has a chance to be on our next winning team, so the slop we have is the slop we have. I’m all for DFA-ingeverybody.

Ive said it before but it won’t happen because I dunno why. But it won’t happen.what does Hyde say?

”This is who we have.”

So oh well. Villar plays like crap today and starts tomorrow. He knows it and you know it, and no, he has no trade value.

oh well, let’s enjoy it now, because on October 2, we will miss it.

We need to get Hays and Stewart healthy. That may force some change.  

I think with Villar they have to play him until the deadline. 

Just now, Sessh said:

Broxton is nowhere close to the top of the DFA list right now. Smith Jr has no value offensively or defensively and his speed isn't good enough to be a bench asset. He literally brings nothing. Ynoa isn't helping the team, Wojo hasn't been great etc.. Both Broxton and Martin bring speed and defense off the bench and can start occasionally. They have SOME value.

Martin is the worst player on this team.

Archived