Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

On 8/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, Luke-OH said:

There's no "bad" or "ugly" swings, even the couple whiffs, he's right on the ball. He gets the barrel or close to it on almost every pitch he swings at in the video. He doesn't drop his hands or roll over. He consistently lifts the ball. He stays connected. The only negative thing I noticed was he looks noticeably skinnier (especially in the legs) than in college, so I wonder how much weight he lost with the mono. 

Also, he looks balanced-almost always. Rarely overs wings and has good knowledge of the zone.

One thing I noticed when following the gameday app was that Adley saw an absurd amount of pitches and he a had a ton of flyouts and lineouts. Figured it would be a matter of time before that translated into the stat sheet. Sure enough he's sporting a .380 OBP now. Hopefully he continues to string along good games and earns a promotion. Still waiting on that first dinger though....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

2-4 with two doubles today.  Up to a .776 OPS.  Looks like the early season jitters may b hind him.

I really don’t think it was jitters, just random variation and maybe a little sapping of the raw power from the bout of mono (which will likely last the rest of this season).

On 8/15/2019 at 6:24 AM, LTO's said:

One thing I noticed when following the gameday app was that Adley saw an absurd amount of pitches and he a had a ton of flyouts and lineouts. Figured it would be a matter of time before that translated into the stat sheet. Sure enough he's sporting a .380 OBP now. Hopefully he continues to string along good games and earns a promotion. Still waiting on that first dinger though....

His first hit of his career was a HR, unless you are specifically referring to his time with the Iron Birds

There's 2 weeks plus Labor Day left in Delmarva's season - if the Shorebirds are going to get him for the Sally Postseason, it seems like this upcoming week would be at latest the time to move him so he could have a little time to acclimate.

Skimming Delmarva's roster, Ben Breazeale and Cody Roberts are the active catchers - neither looks like they have had that great a year, and the position seems to have been a time share (3 guys with 42/39/66 games played), so I guess that makes a move like this a little bit less of a tough ask in the clubhouse.