I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Whats the point ...Davis is worthless either way. That money is sunk! Getting nothing for arguably your best player is incompetence

Well I would cut Davis and probably keep Villar, but I don't own the team. I can't get too bent out of shape over Villar likely not being on the team in 2020.  His OPS+ was 109 last year and he is limited defensively. Plus he will be in his 30's by the time the Orioles win again.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just an fyi: Villar wasn't "DFA'ed." He was just put on waivers to see if another team will take his contract. If not, he is still with the Orioles until they decide to non-tender him or trade him before the deadline. 

This^^^, if multiple teams claim him a trade would be worked out. 

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I disagree.  What is the harm in paying him $10M (or less) and letting him stay for one more year?  We have no middle infield prospects whatsoever, so he would not be blocking anyone.  Worst case scenario, he isn't as good as last year and you have him on your team for a meaningless season.  Best case scenario he plays great and an injury to a contender makes a contender trade for him.

It costs 10M.

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just an fyi: Villar wasn't "DFA'ed." He was just put on waivers to see if another team will take his contract. If not, he is still with the Orioles until they decide to non-tender him or trade him before the deadline. 

Your arguing details ... They are granting him free agency or giving him away for free.

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty disappointing they don't want to put a watchable team on the field with players that fans know and like. I don't really care for the plan of cutting and burning the MLB roster to make a 2-3 year run every ten years. I would rather be a fan year in and year out and feel a connection with the players than be encouraged to ignore full seasons of Major League Baseball and jump back in when the team is good.

This model may be efficient in terms of maximizing championships but it isn't good for the long term growth of the sport.

I would rather watch a decent team year in and year out that ebbs and flows between winning and losing than a team that craters regularly but has a 10 percent better chance of winning a championship in the good years because of the craters.

That's certainly not their stated strategy.   Their stated strategy is to build a sustaining farm and development system that is continually pumping out young players to keep the team in contention.   And that is certainly, so far, what has happened with the Astros, who have been good a lot longer than 2-3 years now.

Where are you getting that from?

• Upvote 2

Just now, interloper said:

This move does nothing to convince me that we are not absolutely on the right path. We are. Rebuilding is hard. 

Botching the farm system is far worse than losing out on Villar. I care about the players that will be here in 2-3 years not a veteran a player like Villar who probably had a career type year in 2019.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Botching the farm system is far worse than losing out on Villar. I care about the players that will be here in 2-3 years not a veteran a player like Villar who probably had a career type year in 2019.

What have they done since Elias has taken over?

Traded Cashner for 2 guys that arent prospects. Drafted Rutschman with a pick that was earned before he was here (any idiot couldve make that selection), Couldn't lure any international guys with our enormous pile of slot money!

He's done nothing to improve the talent level ...nothing !

• weams changed the title to I really want to keep Villar (Update: Waived)
Just now, Roll Tide said:

What have they done since Elias has taken over?

Traded Cashner for 2 guys that arent prospects. Drafted Rutschman with a pick that was earned before he was here (any idiot couldve make that selection), Couldn't lure any international guys with our enormous pile of slot money!

He's done nothing to improve the talent level ...nothing !

It's been a year, it's not like you can take a bottom five farm system and move them to a top five farm system in 12 months. 

39 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty disappointing they don't want to put a watchable team on the field with players that fans know and like. I don't really care for the plan of cutting and burning the MLB roster to make a 2-3 year run every ten years. I would rather be a fan year in and year out and feel a connection with the players than be encouraged to ignore full seasons of Major League Baseball and jump back in when the team is good.

This model may be efficient in terms of maximizing championships but it isn't good for the long term growth of the sport.

I would rather watch a decent team year in and year out that ebbs and flows between winning and losing than a team that craters regularly but has a 10 percent better chance of winning a championship in the good years because of the craters.

That's exactly what Elias is avoiding by rebuilding the right way...

• Upvote 2