I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

Just now, AceKing said:

Am I the only one?  He plays differently than anyone we have had in an Orioles uniform in years, and he just keeps on producing.  I just really can’t see us getting enough back to replace his level of production at his positions.

He really doesn’t make that much money, and he shows up every day and does something fun.

Agree. I'd like to keep Villar and Mancini until next year at least. I think both of them can continue to build value, and they represent 40% of the watchable players on this team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

Am I the only one?  He plays differently than anyone we have had in an Orioles uniform in years, and he just keeps on producing.  I just really can’t see us getting enough back to replace his level of production at his positions.

He really doesn’t make that much money, and he shows up every day and does something fun.

Yeah. You kinda are. He costs a bit and adds very little. 

image.png.c703b20345d32c84ec34071169b58a55.png

I guess 1.3 WAR is not awful. But a rebuilding team doesn't need that. 

9 minutes ago, weams said:

I play in a really in depth fantasy baseball league, and he is the 18th most valuable player in the American League, including pitchers.  He does some things very well.

He is not blocking anybody, either

Edited by AceKing

7 minutes ago, weams said:

And your little chart here says 1.7 war, not 1.3.  That is actually a significant difference

6 minutes ago, AceKing said:

I play in a really in depth fantasy baseball league, and he is the 18th most valuable player in the American League, including pitchers.  He does some things very well.

He is not blocking anybody, either

I do like Villar. But he's good in fantasy baseball just because of steals, which don't make much difference for the 2019 Orioles.

• Upvote 1

Villar is an electrifying player even if he ends up electrocuting his own team sometimes. He's a fun player to watch either way. I kind of feel the same about Alberto in that I don't want to see him go. I think it's because his style of play takes me back to a time when it was actually good to hit singles. Doesn't strike out a lot, high contact guy with limited power. I like him as a lead-off option, but I know analytics don't like either guy all that much and I get it.

• Upvote 4

I think Villar is underrated by a lot of people here.    He’s not anything amazing, but he’s about a league average starting 2B who can also play short when needed.     And yes, exciting at times, even if frustrating at other times.    

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Villar is underrated by a lot of people here.    He’s not anything amazing, but he’s about a league average starting 2B who can also play short when needed.     And yes, exciting at times, even if frustrating at other times.    

When a team plays ~.300 ball over 2 years an average player looks better.  Villar is exciting at times and frustrating at times.  I understand both sides of this trade him/keep him talk.