I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

Just now, jtschrei said:

So the Reds would rather have 31-year old Mike Moustakakis at 4/64 than 28-year old Villar at 1/10? I'm confused. 

Same.  And not at MM's natural position.  I get that MM is more of a "thumper" than Vilar, but a four year commitment to a guy whoo has primarily played 3B his entire career is very questionable, especially when you could get Villar at 1 year 10 for *likely* a small price (prospect between 20 and 30?)

2 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

So the Reds would rather have 31-year old Mike Moustakakis at 4/64 than 28-year old Villar at 1/10? I'm confused. 

Folks like his tools more than they like Villar's. I guess the fantasy overvaluing of steals skews this all.

Villar has a lot of talent but I for whatever reason see a player that puts up some decent stats but isn't really a guy to help a team win.  I see him over swing a bunch and can be very reckless on the bases.  In other words if he played the game right he in my opinion would be a much better asset to a team.

29 minutes ago, theocean said:

No matter what happens with Villar, no matter what we disagree about - I just want everyone to know that you all are worth 4 WAR in my heart.

Yeah, but what is 4 WAR worth to you.... 

I've been told it's not actually worth anything.  ;)  (too soon?)

11 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Me too.

"The power is real, but so are the on-base struggles. Moustakas’s .329 OBP from 2019 was a career high-water mark but barely topped the league average.

Over the course of his career, Moustakas has reached base at a marginal .310 clip. Can he sustain and even extend his relatively productive 2019 in the OBP arena? Moustakas did carry a personal-best 9.1% walk rate in 2019, though his swinging-strike rate also crept up to a new high-water mark (11.0%). He has never hit much for average, so continued commitment to drawing free passes may be the ticket."

MLBTR

15 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Pretty wild. Yeah, Moustakas projects better in 2020, but that’s a lot of risk for a little 2020 bump, they have to be pretty confident in their place on the win curve.

17 minutes ago, weams said:

Folks like his tools more than they like Villar's. I guess the fantasy overvaluing of steals skews this all.

They must be valuing his power more. I'm still a bit surprised by the length of the contract, but the consistency edge definitely goes to Moustakas. It is amazing to me that these teams continue to think he can regularly play 2B though.