I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Did I say he was a 4 win player .... Also if you use basic math ... 4 WAR if 4, 3.9 is rounded up and 3.5 could be rounded up also. So he's been a 4 WAR player in 3 of the last 4 years.

He had a terrible season an any smart person could see it for that.

But, Im ok with you calling him a 3 WAR player. And I'm confident he can be relied on to produce that over the next 3 or so seasons

I'm not at all comfortable rounding 3.53 up to 4.  You can do as you like.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Did I say he was a 4 win player

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You said he's not a 4 WAR player. In the juiced ball era he is. We've seen no evidence that they will be downgrading the ball.

He's had 3.9 and 4.0 in 2 of the last 4 seasons. And the third was 2.7....He had 1 bad year

32 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I completely agree with you. But that is the natural course that the current structure of MLB compensation was set up to become.  The MLBPA has not done enough to ensure that players are paid, and in fact have done more harm than good. And on the flip side I don’t expect owners to be charity cases even when they can afford it. This is all the result of poor negotiation by the MLBPA and it should be torn down and redesigned. 

Put in the salary floor.

Tanking is a symptom and not a problem.

I look to see it as a hard cap as well in the negotiations. I don't think these are necessarily good. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t like the decision to non-tender him.    But that’s not because I think it’s likely he’ll be worth 4 WAR this year.    Even at, say, 2.5 WAR, he’s worth more than he’ll be paid in arbitration.   

i would be perfectly happy if he was a 2-3 WAR per season over the next 3-4 seasons. I advocated for him being extended last offseason or during this season where he would've likely jumped at a 3 year deal worth 6.5 - 7.5 million per. Plus the contract wouldve made him easier to deal when he produced a 4 WAR season.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

i would be perfectly happy if he was a 2-3 WAR per season over the next 3-4 seasons. I advocated for him being extended last offseason or during this season where he would've likely jumped at a 3 year deal worth 6.5 - 7.5 million per. Plus the contract wouldve made him easier to deal when he produced a 4 WAR season.

I like your passion here. I suspect he is a five + WAR over three years guy. With some injury time. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I look to see it as a hard cap as well in the negotiations. I don't think these are necessarily good. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I'd like to see a rule that requires revenue sharing monies to be spent on team payroll.

I think that mostly just leads to bad contracts being handed out.  Is the fanbase going to be happier if all the low salary teams sign a 32 year old to a 4/40 contract?

Don't the NBA and NFL have mechanisms in place to help teams shed truly onerous contracts?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think this mlb trade rumors article sums things up pretty well.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/orioles-jonathan-villar-waivers.html

CHEAP

It’s an extreme cost-cutting measure for the tanking Orioles — one that frankly looks unnecessary. Even with Villar in the fold, the Orioles’ Opening Day payroll projects to come in south of $80MM, so it’s not as if there is (or should be) any real pressure to shed salary.

Well its obvious that the ball was manipulated before this past season and he did produce 4 WAR. so by that argument I'd say I'm right. But he also produced 3.9 WAR a few years ago when the ball wasn't juiced.

I was just pointing out that you did in fact call him a 4 win player during this discussion.  Since you called me out on it and all.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I like your passion here. I suspect he is a five + WAR over three years guy. With some injury time. 

Based on what ...He's only 28 and played in 148, 156, and 162 in the three season that his WAR numbers are 2.7, 3.9, and 4.0.

I'll take that bet sir! How about an evening out at a local watering hole or a Nationals game where they play anyone but the Orioles?

How about it?

Based on what ...He's only 28 and played in 148, 156, and 162 in the three season that his WAR numbers are 2.7, 3.9, and 4.0.

I'll take that bet sir! How about an evening out at a local watering hole or a Nationals game where they play anyone but the Orioles?

How about it?

First of all, I think over the next few years the infield defensive metrics that inflate him will get managed. Second, I think he was incredibly fortunate to be able to play for his own stats.