Roch: "I don't expect Villar back with the O's in 2020."

wildcard

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well and honestly, they may? He's not going to bring much in return anyway, so maybe a $7 mil shortstop isn't so bad of a thing to just have on the team, even if it's just for a year and he walks after. 

The O's really don't have any decent chips other than Mancini and Givens. 

He's making way too much money. There are plenty of comparable free agents who can be signed for less to a one year deal. He's also not a MLB SS. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So it's the lack of infielders needed and not just the lack of suitors for Villar in particular? I'm not sure that logic holds up. Gennett was traded...Sogard was traded...

I don't know if we can assume lack of suitors, just lack of acceptable offers. Gennett and Sogard both went for PTBNL(s) so it's hard to judge if there was any real demand for them or if they were more in demand than Villar. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There are literally no pieces on the active roster that will be part of the rebuilt team. They're all just band-aids / place holders for the the younger players. So I'm not sure I'd use the term "speeding up". 

I don't think that is true.   Means, Mancini, Santander, Severino, Nunez could all be on the O's next contending team.  I am not saying they will be.  Just that they could be.

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Ridiculous.  Santander is 24; Núñez 25; Severino 26; Means 26.  You might make that argument for Mancini at 27, but I don’t think it necessarily applies to the others.

In five years 90% of the lineup better be all players 25 and under or else the rebuild has gone horribly wrong. 

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In five years 90% of the lineup better be all players 25 and under or else the rebuild has gone horribly wrong. 

I think that has probably never happened.   Looking at the Astros, the lowest average age of their position players was 25.5, in the third year of their rebuild.    Even then, three of their top 10 position players were 27-28 years old.   And by 2017 when they won it all, their average age was 28.9.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

One game doesn't make him a better player. His poor defense and poor OBP are two big non redeeming qualities and probably the reason why no other teams were interested in him before the trade deadline. If he was hitting 40+ HRs then maybe it's something you can tolerate, but he's not. At his best he's basically Tim Anderson who's also not a very good player. 

It's been said over and over on here that he is league average or better.  If all it costs is $7M to bring him back for one year, then bring him back and hope to trade him (it didn't happen this year, yada yada) at the deadline.  There is literally no one breaking down the door to st art at 2B or SS next year.

8 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

It's been said over and over on here that he is league average or better.  If all it costs is $7M to bring him back for one year, then bring him back and hope to trade him (it didn't happen this year, yada yada) at the deadline.  There is literally no one breaking down the door to st art at 2B or SS next year.

Can you literally break down a metaphorical door? 

• Haha 2