Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This isn't 1950. There isn't any respect for the game anymore. Players are all about the $$$$s. And I'm not going to fault Davis for having that mentality because he's just like everyone else. The Orioles were naive and stupid enough to offer him that contract and he's entitled to every penny. I just don't want to see him earning them in an Orioles uniform. 

Plenty of people have a lot of respect for the game.  And for themselves.

Clearly, Davis has very little of either.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

No I am not bashing anyone who went to community college. People do it to save money or it is convenient for them.  I was talking about elite athletes who can’t manage a 600 SAT score so aren’t eligible to play in division 1. I would think some baseball players would go there if they were late bloomers and didn’t get drafted.  

Let me know when you find out CD's test scores.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, he doesn't have to go to work.  He's probably got... just enough to retire.  

Who owns the team again? Lawyers or something?

I can’t imagine where he would get away with not showing up to work and not be taken to court.

Agree to disagree. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

BAck on topic .  Davis really didn’t say anything of substance in his statement,

Hey, you're lucky you didn't just get grunts and groans. After all, he only attended community college so his vocabulary's probably a bit limited. 

I'm sorry @weams. I couldn't resist. I swear that I'll be on my best behavior from this point forward. Scout's honor. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Hey, you're lucky you didn't just get grunts and groans. After all, he only attended community college so his vocabulary's probably a bit limited. 

I'm sorry @weams. I couldn't resist. I swear that I'll be on my best behavior from this point forward. Scout's honor. 

You stopped when I asked. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I'm just not in agreement here.  

First of all, there's no telling what happened, what sparked it, what was said and who escalated it.  Per the usual around here, we like to think we know everything.  And if we don't, we can just assume a lot of things and act like they're the truth because everyone here (including me) has an axe to grind.

Second, there's no evidence of him being unpolished.  I'm not sure what that's based on.  He speaks well enough.  Maybe not the most articulate guy in the world but he's also not teaching a 400 level course at Harvard.

Rearing its ugly head?  Explain?

Machismo?  Is it because he's a big burly guy with a deep voice?  

This whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.  Words were said, tempers flared, it got a little outta control for like, 3 seconds.  I'm not sure how Hyde's leadership is in question here when...again...none of us are privy to exactly what happened.

Lastly, it'd be cool if you all put atomic on ignore.  I did months ago and the experience has been as good as advertised.  That way he can just talk to himself into the ether.  

I could not have said anything here any better.  I recommend this post to all. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I mean, your attitude is exactly why you probably like people like Hyde. It's all bravado and machismo. Luckily civilized leaders don't need that nonsense.

I'm the last person to defend Davis here. I just don't see what makes Hyde so special. Now, it's hard to really assess somebody because the talent on this roster is beyond awful.

But I look at guys like Mike Elias and it's night and day how much better he is than Dan Duquette.

I look at guys like Brandon Hyde and compare him to Buck...and I just have to ask people who think Hyde is better or "fantastic": what are you seeing?

To me, I just don't care for the bravado to the media. Here's what Roch reported from Hyde:

"Hyde said he wanted to keep it private and would speak with Davis later. He also expressed remorse that it happened in view of the public, including media, and downplayed the impact it would have on his relationship with Davis and the season."

"We’re going to keep it in-house. It’s private." - Brandon Hyde

"Unfortunately I’m embarrassed that it was caught on camera and people had to see it, but sometimes those things happen." - Brandon Hyde

And that's my rub. It's clear Hyde is either unpolished or can't control his emotions....or worse - both. He's supposed to be a leader of men and he comes across as a hothead. I've listened to enough of his post game pressers and he's more likely to spout off and throw the *totality* of the team under the bus. And that rubs me the wrong way from a leader.

I disagree completely with this assessment.    The team loses 2/3 of its games — is Hyde supposed to pretend he doesn’t know we’re outmanned most nights?     And I don’t see him as a hothead at all.   To me, he’s had the patience of Job.     He keeps things positive almost all the time but also is honest about the reality of our current situation.    It’s a good balance.   

And Buck got pretty snippy in some of his pressers.    Love the guy, but let’s not pretend he didn’t have any bad moments.   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Who owns the team again? Lawyers or something?

I can’t imagine where he would get away with not showing up to work and not be taken to court.

Agree to disagree. 

I'm not going to disagree.  I'm just going to tell you're wrong.  You're wrong.    

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I'm just not in agreement here.  

First of all, there's no telling what happened, what sparked it, what was said and who escalated it.  Per the usual around here, we like to think we know everything.  And if we don't, we can just assume a lot of things and act like they're the truth because everyone here (including me) has an axe to grind.

Second, there's no evidence of him being unpolished.  I'm not sure what that's based on.  He speaks well enough.  Maybe not the most articulate guy in the world but he's also not teaching a 400 level course at Harvard.

Rearing its ugly head?  Explain?

Machismo?  Is it because he's a big burly guy with a deep voice?  

This whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.  Words were said, tempers flared, it got a little outta control for like, 3 seconds.  I'm not sure how Hyde's leadership is in question here when...again...none of us are privy to exactly what happened.

Lastly, it'd be cool if you all put atomic on ignore.  I did months ago and the experience has been as good as advertised.  That way he can just talk to himself into the ether.  

None of us are privy to what happened. We can only ascertain so much. I'm going off of Roch's article where Hyde is walking back what he did and how he would have preferred to do things. That makes it out to be a scenario where he didn't control himself appropriately (of course Davis didn't either, but poking a frustrated bear leads to certain results). And that's what I've been saying from the beginning. He's unpolished. And a hothead. My main point from the beginning is he's no Buck.

Also, I don't have patience for this:

“So, the other guys are hitting homers off our pitchers. It just shows you how long we have to go to be a competitive team in the American League East, to have the pitching to be able to compete. Their guys are just way better than our guys.”

“This is a results business,” Hyde said “If you’re going to pitch here, you’ve got to be able to keep the ball in the ballpark. Our numbers don’t lie, what we have. They’re setting all kinds of home runs given up records. ERAs are unbelievably inflated. We just have a long way to go.

“I don’t know what else to say. It’s hard to watch. It’s tough, but you do the best you can and try to get guys better, but we’re not close.”

See: https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/08/07/frustrated-hyde-says-yankees-way-better-orioles-continue-give-homers-stewarts-concussion/

If you or I said that on Orioles Hangout? Sure, that's fine. That's part of being a fan. Basically he buried every single person that pitched that night. And this wasn't the first or last time he's done this in a post game presser.

I get the frustration. I do. But I don't even like the *words* he chooses to use. I mean, one sentence he says, "Our numbers don't lie, what we have." The *we* is correct. But he immediately follows it up with a "they're". The tone just reads like he's passing off responsibility. Leaders lead from the front. Want to say our pitching staff is garbage? Find a better way to do it. Buck's way of doing it would simply say, "You have to tip your cap to that team, they're loaded up and down the lineup and we need to work better on executing." And then let the talent evaluators and the GM do their job and talk to your team behind closed doors.

But this crap?

"but we're not close", "they're setting all kinds of home runs given up records", "ERAs are unbelievably inflated", "Their guys are just way better than our guys"

You can say that behind closed doors with your management team, but good god is that some terrible leadership spouting off at the media as often as he does. I hate it.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

None of us are privy to what happened. We can only ascertain so much. I'm going off of Roch's article where Hyde is walking back what he did and how he would have preferred to do things. That makes it out to be a scenario where he didn't control himself appropriately (of course Davis didn't either, but poking a frustrated bear leads to certain results). And that's what I've been saying from the beginning. He's unpolished. And a hothead. My main point from the beginning is he's no Buck.

Also, I don't have patience for this:

“So, the other guys are hitting homers off our pitchers. It just shows you how long we have to go to be a competitive team in the American League East, to have the pitching to be able to compete. Their guys are just way better than our guys.”

“This is a results business,” Hyde said “If you’re going to pitch here, you’ve got to be able to keep the ball in the ballpark. Our numbers don’t lie, what we have. They’re setting all kinds of home runs given up records. ERAs are unbelievably inflated. We just have a long way to go.

“I don’t know what else to say. It’s hard to watch. It’s tough, but you do the best you can and try to get guys better, but we’re not close.”

See: https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/08/07/frustrated-hyde-says-yankees-way-better-orioles-continue-give-homers-stewarts-concussion/

If you or I said that on Orioles Hangout? Sure, that's fine. That's part of being a fan. Basically he buried every single person that pitched that night. And this wasn't the first or last time he's done this in a post game presser.

I get the frustration. I do. But I don't even like the *words* he chooses to use. I mean, one sentence he says, "Our numbers don't lie, what we have." The *we* is correct. But he immediately follows it up with a "they're". The tone just reads like he's passing off responsibility. Leaders lead from the front. Want to say our pitching staff is garbage? Find a better way to do it. Buck's way of doing it would simply say, "You have to tip your cap to that team, they're loaded up and down the lineup and we need to work better on executing." And then let the talent evaluators and the GM do their job and talk to your team behind closed doors.

But this crap?

"but we're not close", "they're setting all kinds of home runs given up records", "ERAs are unbelievably inflated", "Their guys are just way better than our guys"

You can say that behind closed doors with your management team, but good god is that some terrible leadership spouting off at the media as often as he does. I hate it.

I don't really see it that way, but to each their own.

• Upvote 1