Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

2 minutes ago, BradyBunch said:

Leadership is about admitting when you are wrong.  Trust me, not a fan of Davis, but doing that to any player with 9 plus years in MLB shows a lack of respect to the player. 

Like I said they could've gone down the stairs and he could have said his peace. 

You are quite correct when you say that leadership includes admitting fault, but Brandon is not at fault here. Davis has been at fault for three years. He’s been lazy and it’s obvious, he’s made no change and it’s obvious, he’s been slacking and it’s obvious and he’s been horrible. It is Embarrassing to all of baseball  that’s such a blatantly bad performance is allowed to continue. There are other really terrible contracts in baseball Detroit has one in Cabrera, California has one, whoever has Granderson has one, but those guys aren’t being lazy. They’re not slacking. They are just bad because they’re old, and that’s not their fault. Davis is slacking and everybody knows it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling him out. Lots of other guys should be called out for various reasons, but there’s nothing wrong in this instance: the only thing I find fault with was walking away. Hyde should’ve said his piece and then stood his ground.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Still no one in this entire thread who knows when the foul ball took place or who was hitting at the time? For some reason when I watch the replay in the 4th the camera wasn’t panning away from the Yankee hitters after a foul ball.

The other non-scoop play didn’t seem egregious, but again, after he misses the ball I can’t see what happened after and if he was lazy as he went after it.

Hardly anyone is watching the games these days. I did see the play with my own eyes but what registered with me was Davis' lack of effort, not the hitter and situation. Looking at the play by play data, I am going to guess it was one of those foul balls that Urshela hit in the 4th but I really can't be sure. Might have been Valera in the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

A player that was physically doggin it on the field? Nope, I disagree. You address in front of the team to let everyone know that is not going to be tolerated by him no matter who you are. Everyone should be treated the same. 

But you do it in team meetings, not in front of tv cameras. 

1 minute ago, BradyBunch said:

Huge difference, team meeting is behind closed doors. Pulling a player aside and saying hey what's up with that or this while in the dugout is different then saying something and walking away. 

It is possible that the nice approach has been taken before.

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm with you 100% Tony. You served in the military right? How would it have gone over if you tried to physically attack your superior officer? These anti-Hyde / defending Davis takes are pure garbage. And yes I'm looking your straight in the eyes @Beef Supreme

This is your idea of macho posturing, I guess: suggesting you are challenging me to a fight. When you disagree with something someone says, you threaten physical violence over the internet. Grow Up. Or better yet, go ahead and take a poke at those eyes you see reflected in your monitor.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Or the "veteran" message that it's ok to start doggin' it when you are getting crushed by the Yankees for the third straight game? A real quality veteran wouldn't be doing that stuff. 

What did he dog? A foul ball? What? 

Re: Hyde - I think there is validity to different management styles. Some might want to say things out in the dugout to send a message/teach/etc.  Others might like to keep the criticism away from the camera, or out of the open.  And it's pretty fair to say that both ways can be effective. I have no problem with Hyde over this.

However - I don't think going after the manager and having to be physically restrained is an acceptable response. No matter what was said (and it had to be pretty rough to cause that reaction). Still - that can't be how you handle the situation. And I'm not sure leaving the ballpark (or being unavailable after the game?) helps your position either. Not a good night for Davis. 

41 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Doesn't matter which team or which firstbaseman, no manager is justified in attacking a player for missing a throwing error. I can't even recall seeing a manager attack a firstbaseman for missing a scoop until Hyde.

Last night proved to me what I had been thinking all along: whenever the Orioles are playoff contenders again, Hyde will not be in the organization. Hyde is a placeholder only, like nearly all of the 25-man roster.

Sorry but I disagree with you. 

55 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Hyde verbally attacked Davis, clearly. Otherwise, Davis would not have reacted.

Also, Davis never touched Hyde, so it can not be described as committing "physical violence," as some have said.

So by your logic, charging at a manager and having to be restrained isn't "physical violence" but saying something to someone is "verbally attacking." Bad take

13 hours ago, theocean said:

I know Chris Davis isn't exactly popular - but it's never a good sign when a manager is saying something that causes one of his players to try and fight him. Say what you will about Davis, but he's never struck me as a hot head. This is not normal behavior for him.

The O's are getting their butts handed to them during this series. It's the manager's job to keep everyone's heads up through the storm. Between Hyde throwing the team under the bus, venting to the media, and now this - I really am starting to doubt Hyde.

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If you have this take, which is a solid one, why did you upvote a take that bashed Hyde?

For the bolded part. I didn't like what he said about our pitching publicly, even though I know it's true. I think Hyde's on tilt a little right now. He's frustrated that he's not getting talented guys to work with, but he's lost perspective that this is what this year's about.

I probably shouldn't have upvoted it though. I'm not doubting Hyde, but I really didn't like the public comments about the pitching.

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

This is your idea of macho posturing, I guess: suggesting you are challenging me to a fight. When you disagree with something someone says, you threaten physical violence over the internet. Grow Up. Or better yet, go ahead and take a poke at those eyes you see reflected in your monitor.

You're getting called out for having a garbage take on the situation... nobody challenged you to a fight. Seems to be a pattern, you also claim that Hyde "attacked" Davis by calling him out. You won't find your safe space here.

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I disagree with you. 

This is a level-headed response, not like the thin-skinned ones. But help me understand: do you disagree that Hyde will be gone from the organization by the time the Orioles are playoff contenders again? Or do you disagree about seeing managers go after players for missing scoops of throwing errors? Or do you disagree with both?

If he hits 0 HR between now and the expiration of his contract, or if he hits 150 HR, we will be spending the same money. The money is a fixed cost of doing business. He is not a MLB player any more. He’s taking a job from a more deserving player. The team will be improved by his absence. This is an easy call. A dust up with the manager is meaningless to the larger problem, that ownership/management is pretending that they’re salvaging something of value from his awful contract by having him attend the games. 

Archived