A look at the 40 man roster

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I will take that bet.   Wilkerson offers the versatility that kept Flash on the roster for 6 years.  

That’s a valid point but here are the reasons I disagree.

1. Wilkerson has less bat

2. Flaherty added value on defense where Wilkerson doesn’t.

3. I don’t think the respective FOs (including Buck who had near FO like control) value the same things.

4. The game has changed, look at Quad A typed across baseball, positional flexibility for fringe players is the standard now around baseball, not a rare commodity like it once was.

5. Having a cheap player with extremely limited upside who can play multiple positions respectably for near league minimum is important if you are competitive and are running a relatively high payroll. It’s not important if you aren’t competing and are looking for upside.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

3. I don’t think the respective FOs (including Buck who had near FO like control) value the same things.

4. The game has changed, look at Quad A typed across baseball, positional flexibility for fringe players is the standard now around baseball, not a rare commodity like it once was.

5. Having a cheap player with extremely limited upside who can play multiple positions respectably for near league minimum is important if you are competitive and are running a relatively high payroll. It’s not important if you aren’t competing and are looking for upside.

Those are all valid, And I don’t disagree with any of them, (although I’m not sure Flaherty was a better hitter. He certainly had more power, but I think Wilk had a better average.)

but if Wilk isn’t our utility guy, who would be? Someone in the system(if so, who?) or a waiver claim?

I’m not being contentious, just wondering.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Very good point.

Some love to poke fun at Flaherty, but he played an important role here, and both times, when Manny and then Hardy went down, he was able to step up and play full time and while not at the same level, but decent.

Flaherty was outstanding at 3B during the ‘14 playoffs. I loved watching him, and aside from Manny, we haven’t had a better 3B since.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Flaherty was outstanding at 3B during the ‘14 playoffs. I loved watching him, and aside from Manny, we haven’t had a better 3B since.

I have vivid recollection of thinking Ryan Flaherty was my least favorite Oriole ever, but also times where I felt he wasn't doing so bad. Either way, I'd hate to think that he's left some sort of positive legacy here in Baltimore when I distinctly remember banishing him and his family to Hell.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:59 AM, wildcard said:

Will come off the 40 man roster (12)

Eades, Rogers, Ynoa, Wynns, Trumbo, Armstrong, Fry, Hanhold, Taylor Scott, Shepherd, Williams, Hess

Just missed Ortiz in this group I believe. 

Of the remaining in this list I could see keeping Armstrong and Fry just to have any sense of bullpen stability to start off the season. They were both decent at times and probably worth another look. 

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

Those are all valid, And I don’t disagree with any of them, (although I’m not sure Flaherty was a better hitter. He certainly had more power, but I think Wilk had a better average.)

but if Wilk isn’t our utility guy, who would be? Someone in the system(if so, who?) or a waiver claim?

I’m not being contentious, just wondering.

It could be anyone.  Every organization has multiple guys like Stevie Wilkerson.  Ryan Flaherty spent almost the whole year in AAA, we could bring him back for a trivial price.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Very good point.

Some love to poke fun at Flaherty, but he played an important role here, and both times, when Manny and then Hardy went down, he was able to step up and play full time and while not at the same level, but decent.

Ryan Flaherty and Stevie Wilkerson currently both have a career OPS+ of 71.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

1.  Wilkerson had a 783 OPS vs righties last season.  Flash never had a split better the 717 OPS in 6 years with the O's.

2.   Wilkerson was pushed to the OF last year out of necessity.   We have not seen him much at 2B where he did pretty well in the minors.

3. I don't think we have enough information to say how much value the current FO vs Duquette/Buck.

4.  There have always been players that could play multiple position all over across baseball.  Flash and Wilkerson are just two of them.

5. I think Hyde would disagree that about having versatile players.  1) he is all about players having versatility.  Trying to have most of his position players play more than one position. 2) Having a versatility player like Wilkerson allowed Hyde to add a extra pitcher to the 25 man roster this past year.   That was important to Hyde.