What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

wildcard

Stewart is a Limited Player, as Are Sisco and Mountcastle, and they all share the same basic limitations. 

I think Hays will be a positive asset, Stewart will be a flop unless he shows dramatic improvement( which is definitely possible but definitely necessary) and the jury is still out on Mountcastle, because he hasn’t had his MLB opportunity yet.

we shall see...

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

Stewart is a Limited Player, as Are Sisco and Mountcastle, and they all share the same basic limitations. 

I think Hays will be a positive asset, Stewart will be a flop unless he shows dramatic improvement( which is definitely possible but definitely necessary) and the jury is still out on Mountcastle, because he hasn’t had his MLB opportunity yet.

we shall see...

Very.few of them aren't limited.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

By most guys being limited I mean in organized baseball. 

Anyone who isn't five tool is limited right? 

Well yeah, but it does seem that we spent a lot of high picks on guys who never had any real chance to play anything other than 1B or corner OF.    I did notice that Elias picked a ton of guys who play CF and SS in the last draft.    Some of those will move to other positions eventually, but at least they’re more athletic than a lot of guys we’ve picked in recent years.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well yeah, but it does seem that we spent a lot of high picks on guys who never had any real chance to play anything other than 1B or corner OF.    I did notice that Elias picked a ton of guys who play CF and SS in the last draft.    Some of those will move to other positions eventually, but at least they’re more athletic than a lot of guys we’ve picked in recent years.   

Mountcastle played SS when he was drafted, so did Mark Reynolds.  Aren't they already talking about moving Gunnar Henderson off of short?

Folks are talking about a right handed 1B going 1/1 next year, one went 1/3 this year.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle played SS when he was drafted, so did Mark Reynolds.  Aren't they already talking about moving Gunnar Henderson off of short?

Folks are talking about a right handed 1B going 1/1 next year, one went 1/3 this year.

Mountcastle may have played SS, but I dont think there was any real expectation that his skillset would allow him to stay there.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Frobby said drafted as a CF or SS.  Mountcastle was.  Evidently no one expects Gunnar to stick at short.

Its a crap shot.

Cal was a SS in high school. They didnt think his game would play at the majors and it did.

The best players that arent pitching usually go to SS and then CF next and sometimes back and forth. Mora was one that could play SS and CF well.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Frobby said drafted as a CF or SS.  Mountcastle was.  Evidently no one expects Gunnar to stick at short.

I think the issue with Gunnar is they expect he’ll be too big for the position as he develops, but he’s still a very strong candidate to stick at 3B even if he moves.    With Mountcastle, it was more like a prayer that somehow his arm would improve enough to leave him on the left side of the IF.     And by the way, I’m not complaining about them drafting Mountcastle.     He could end up being a good value as the no. 36 pick in the draft, regardless of the fact that he’s now a 1B/LF/DH type.   You just don’t want to spend too many high picks on players with that profile.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the issue with Gunnar is they expect he’ll be too big for the position as he develops, but he’s still a very strong candidate to stick at 3B even if he moves.    With Mountcastle, it was more like a prayer that somehow his arm would improve enough to leave him on the left side of the IF.     And by the way, I’m not complaining about them drafting Mountcastle.     He could end up being a good value as the no. 36 pick in the draft, regardless of the fact that he’s now a 1B/LF/DH type.   You just don’t want to spend too many high picks on players with that profile.    

Depends on who a team has in their system.   Mountcastle would look more valuable if the O's didn't have Mancini and Diaz.   But they do.