What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

wildcard

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't ever trade for Dana Eveland.

I'm assuming you are joking because if you are concerned over trading two guys who never made it to the majors for a guy who might help the major league team, then I don't know what to say. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He traded a first round draft choice for Jimenez.   And another first rounder for  Gallardo.  I know they were't straight trades  but that was the result.

Umm, a specifically mentioned his trading of prospects for established players. I was not talking about every move he ever made.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't ever trade for Dana Eveland.

What if it means that we don't have to be berated by Sports Guy ever again?  Because his banning was the most significant outcome of that deal.  

The 80000 page thread on Eveland, Jarret Martin and Tyler Henson was taking process over results to an absurd level.  No, you don't trade anything of value for a replacement-level arm.  But neither Martin nor Henson ever appeared in a major league game, and weren't particularly close. Martin finally got to AAA this year and allowed 12 runs in five innings, before going back to indy ball and giving up 19 runs in 16 innings.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm assuming you are joking because if you are concerned over trading two guys who never made it to the majors for a guy who might help the major league team, then I don't know what to say. 

It's a callback to the original trade.  It's a Sports Guy quote.

It is also a fact, you don't trade for a Dana Eveland, you claim him off the waiver wire.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Umm, a specifically mentioned his trading of prospects for established players. I was not talking about every move he ever made.

Me either.  Just the major moves.

Don't get me wrong.  On balance  I give Dan a lot of credit for the O's five year run of competitive baseball in spite of many obstacles.   But he made some bad moves too like most GMs do.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is fine.

Yep, the end goal is to always follow the unwritten rules of transactions. 

#78. Never trade a Grade D prospect for a random bullpen arm when you could wait around a while and take the next random arm from the waiver wire.  The results are exactly the same but you've theoretically come out ahead in some way I've forgotten... wait, what?

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

Norfolk breaks  camp in Florida and will head to  Norfolk for their opener on the April 9th.  I said Mountcastle goes to Baltimore instead.   But the O's are not even in Baltimore on the 9th. There are playing the Yankees in NY on the 9th.  They don't get home until the 10th when they play the Pirates.  

I do not think Elias will shave it that close.    That’s just inviting trouble.    It’s not like Mountcastle will turn the O’s into a contender in 2020.    They’ll let a few weeks go by, and if he’s looking ready, call him up.  

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

Please point me to where I said he would be working out with the team.  I don't believe I said that.

You said he would travel north with the O's instead of going to Norfolk. I inferred that he would work out with them because it would be stupid for him to sit around and do nothing.

30 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

You said he would travel north with the O's instead of going to Norfolk. I inferred that he would work out with them because it would be stupid for him to sit around and do nothing.

I don't believe it's legal for him to 'work out with the MLB team' if he is on the Norfolk roster.   But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I did not say he would travel north with the O's.

I said:   "I think instead of Mountcastle going from Florida to Norfolk  he will travel to Baltimore to get ready to play the Pirates at Camden Yards. on the April 10th".

The O's are not even in Baltimore on April 9th   They arrive from NY on the April 10th.   

And I certainly said nothing about Mountcastle working out with the O's.

Your inference is not correct.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I did not say he would travel north with the O's.

I said:   "I think instead of Mountcastle going from Florida to Norfolk  he will travel to Baltimore to get ready to play the Pirates at Camden Yards. on the April 10th".

The O's are not even in Baltimore on April 9th   They arrive from NY on the April 10th.   

And I certainly said nothing about Mountcastle working out with the O's.

Your inference is not correct.

Okay, so I assumed he would travel with a team, like a baseball player. I had no idea that you envisioned him sitting in Baltimore, doing nothing until he could be officially called up. That makes no sense at all.

8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Okay, so I assumed he would travel with a team, like a baseball player. I had no idea that you envisioned him sitting in Baltimore, doing nothing until he could be officially called up. That makes no sense at all.

Its a day for pete sakes.  A travel day.  You would rather he go to Norfolk with the Tides and then to Baltimore the same day?   That makes no sense.