Baltimore Baseball: Astros and Cardinals

weams

12 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's the explanation, from another Wikipedia entry:

The Baltimore Orioles team left the American Association after the 1889 season and started playing in the minor Atlantic Association. However, when the Brooklyn Gladiators ballclub folded mid-way through the 1890 season the Orioles returned to the AA to finish out the season.

When you add the Baltimore and Brooklyn teams' records, they make up a full AA season.

Aye, thank you. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

This according to wiki, is the 1890 standings.

Just seams to be a bit off, if you know what I mean.

American Association W L Pct. GB Home Road
Louisville Colonels 88 44 0.667 57–13 31–31
Columbus Solons 79 55 0.590 10 47–22 32–33
St. Louis Browns 78 58 0.574 12 45–25 33–33
Toledo Maumees 68 64 0.515 20 40–27 28–37
Rochester Broncos 63 63 0.500 22 40–22 23–41
Baltimore Orioles 15 19 0.441 24 8–11 7–8
Syracuse Stars 55 72 0.433 30½ 30–30 25–42
Philadelphia Athletics 54 78 0.409 34 36–36 18–42
Brooklyn Gladiators 26 73 0.263 45½ 15–22 11–51

What spiritof66 said.  Also, remember that 1890 was the year of the Players League revolt.  The Players League got a good number of guys from both the NL and AA to jump to the new league, throwing all kinds of things into chaos.  Teams that were terrible in '89 became great in '90 and vice versa.  Then the PL folded in '91, the AA folded after '91, so what had been 24 Major League-ish teams in 1890 were down to 12 in '92.  More churn than we've seen in a major sport in our lifetimes.

• Upvote 1

Drungo,

I just want to thank you for the historical content that you bring to the Hangout.  It puts the modern game and the changes that it's going through today into context and it allows me to see baseball in ways that I would never have come up with on my own.  And, I should add Spiritof66, as well.  Thanks!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

In case anyone else was wondering what a "Maumee" is, it's not Mommy or any mascot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maumee,_Ohio

Odd construction: Sort of like naming a team the Baltimore Towsons.

Also, before the 1910s or so team nicknames were unofficial.  The 100+ year old names in modern encyclopedias and bb-ref and wiki are often post-facto use of things that may not have been commonplace at the time.  I have no direct knowledge of this situation, but it's possible that Maumee is something a Toledo sportswriter with a flowery, Victorian style attached to the team, and bb-ref needed something for the name field in the database.  Often in old guides you'll see teams just referred to as The New York Nationals or New York Unions or Baltimore Federals, in reference to the league they played in.  Or just the Detroit Nine.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Also, before the 1910s or so team nicknames were unofficial.  The 100+ year old names in modern encyclopedias and bb-ref and wiki are often post-facto use of things that may not have been commonplace at the time.  I have no direct knowledge of this situation, but it's possible that Maumee is something a Toledo sportswriter with a flowery, Victorian style attached to the team, and bb-ref needed something for the name field in the database.  Often in old guides you'll see teams just referred to as The New York Nationals or New York Unions or Baltimore Federals, in reference to the league they played in.  Or just the Detroit Nine.

Very interesting observation.