2019 World Series (ASTROS vs. NATIONALS)

OFFNY

38 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm pretty sure Cole will be on a 1/4/7 track.  

They just mentioned Soto's 21st birthday is Friday, when the Series gets to his home park for Game 3.  That's some destiny right there.

That means you also have to pitch Grienke and Verlander on short rest or Grienke only gets one start.

6 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I’m really impressed with how the Astros lay off good pitches right off the plate.  Their whole lineup has a great approach.

Pressure moves to Houston.  Have to beat Strasburg to stay away from 0-2.  Anyone know who would pitch game 4 for them?

I have been amazed by that myself.  I can't help but remember back to our 2014 ALCS and 2016 game against Toronto, where our approach was to swing at everything outside of the strike zone.  That was unbelievably frustrating to watch and so it is encouraging to see that hitters actually can develop patience and discipline.  Hopefully our next playoff team has this approach.

As for Soto, I go after him in the first at-bat in Game 2.  If he gets a hard hit, I am not sure that I throw him a strike the rest of the series.  Can't let that dude beat you.  He is too good and too locked in. 

9 hours ago, backwardsk said:

That means you also have to pitch Grienke and Verlander on short rest or Grienke only gets one start.

Hinch in his pregame presser said yesterday they'd decide on Game 4 after the first three, even kind of joking that's their tradition this year.  It'll be interesting to see what they do, but Greinke's been wobbly enough I think Cole thrice will take priority over Greinke twice in their plan for the series.  That would leave Game 5/6 to short rest Verlander/bullpen game, or bullpen game/full rest Verlander, where 1-3, 2-2 or 3-1 probably nudges the choice.

Growing up with the Astros in the National League and having my team (O's) American League, my brain keeps thinking Nats are American League since I have taken an interest in them this year.    It's kind of weird.  I don't get the whole Montreal Expos angle with people wearing Expos hats to National games.  To me that is a slap in the face to real Montreal Expo fans.  

I keep wondering how long the National's luck is going to last.  I was sure the bubble was going to burst last night.  Dave Martinez is a heck of a manager.  He is handling the pitching staff masterfully.  

I love John Smoltz' analysis during the game.  It's like having a pitching coach or manager in the booth.  The rest of the FOX crew stink compared to TBS, especially the post game team  (Arod, Poppy, Thomas).  Yuk.  

Is it really luck for the Nationals at this point?  What have they played, .670 ball for the last five months?  Team is really good.  The difference has been that their cleanup hitter has come up with some massive hits in crucial situations and their opponents' clean-up hitters have collectively taken the month of October off.