Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Over half of that wealth is the Orioles/MASN correct?

Also, as I have already said, Peter is not the effective owner of the team anymore.

That person would indeed be his wife. But she obviously is  letting the sons run the show. 

When Peter passes his wife still has his money and I believe  is not required to pay estate taxes.

Is there anything that would prohibit her from owning the team and having the sons run the team.

Besides we’ve discussed at Nausea... The National TV share is 110 million and the broadcast rights are $59 million 3 or 4 years ago.

Surely there is enough additional revenue in tickets, concessions, memorabilia, corporate sponsorships, and other secondary sources of income to cover the operating expenses. I posted a link earlier in this discussion about all the money that MLB was raking in that had nothing to do with the team winning games.

That’s not including receiving money awarded by the luxury tax process. 

I don’t think they really need a cash infusion from the Angelos family coffers anyway.

Last year they had a $70 million payroll. By the math they should have a 80* million dollar surplus (160-70=90MM). That would include 10 million for the international process, adding additional scouts, paying newly created executive positions etc.

This year they will have at least that number again.

Heck they could probably pay off Davis and move him off the roster

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This could be a fair point.    Law firms are not like other kinds of businesses.     It’s extremely easy to leave a law firm and join another one or start your own.     Only lawyers who work at the firm can receive profits.    So it’s not like Angelos can just hand over his share of the law firm’s profits to his sons when he dies.     He has one son who works there and one who doesn’t.    I don’t see how the other attorneys there would accept the son just taking over dad’s share of the profits if he’s not producing like dad did.    They’d just walk across the street and practice law elsewhere.    

At the same time, I don’t think most sports team owners subsidize their teams with profits from other businesses much.    Some of them aren’t looking to profit much from their teams, but they’re not looking to lose money.

The question to me is how often do owners subsidize their other businesses with profits from their teams?  Eli Jacobs did for one.

31 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The "record" is duly noted right alongside @Enjoy Terror and @weams previous prognostications.  ?

Depends on what "is" is ?

"Next decade" for Mancini could mean either 2020 or 2021 (there wasn't a year 0 A.D.) ....

Using a modified Julian date, the 2020s will begin on Jan. 1, 2021, Dr. Mac Low said.

But that is out of sync with common usage. According to Emily Brewster, a senior editor at Merriam-Webster, a decade in popular culture is not defined by scientific convention. Because of this, the 2020s will begin on Jan. 1, 2020, and end on Dec. 31, 2029, Ms. Brewster said.

“It is interesting that there is this arbitrariness,” she said. “It’s unconventional, like language.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/28/us/what-is-decade.html

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That person would indeed be his wife. But she obviously is  letting the sons run the show. 

When Peter passes his wife still has his money and I believe  is not required to pay estate taxes.

Is there anything that would prohibit her from owning the team and having the sons run the team.

Besides we’ve discussed at Nausea... The National TV share is 110 million and the broadcast rights are $59 million 3 or 4 years ago.

Surely there is enough additional revenue in tickets, concessions, memorabilia, corporate sponsorships, and other secondary sources of income to cover the operating expenses. I posted a link earlier in this discussion about all the money that MLB was raking in that had nothing to do with the team winning games.

I don’t think they really need a cash infusion from the Angelos family coffers anyway.

Last year they had a $70 million payroll. By the math they should have a 80* million dollar surplus (160-70=90MM). That would include 10 million for the international process, adding additional scouts, paying newly created executive positions etc.

Be that as it may I don't see the relevance of stating what payroll was under Peter when Peter is no longer setting payroll.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, people think Elias' message is bad.  What is the Marlins message?  They couldn't keep several young Star-Superstar players because they couldn't afford them.  Now they can afford to pay Villar 10 million?  It really doesn't fit into what they're doing.  

Lots of people have asserted that Elias made the wrong move.  I think I'd rather be on this end of the equation versus what the Marlins did by picking up Villar, or the Reds not picking up Villar, and instead filling 2B with Moustakas for 4/64.  San Diego also chose Profar, albeit cheaper, over Villar as well.  So two of the best fits, SD and Cinn, went into other directions that don't appear to make the most sense.  It's hard to get a deal done when the team that is the best possible fit gives a 3B $16 million a year to play 2B until he's 35.  

Agreed. And Jeter also traded a prospect for a prospect last year which rarely happens in baseball. He seems to be way out of his element....

28 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

My ‘89 Excel came with a factory installed Blaupunkt stereo .

It was stolen within 6 months 

My first car was a Hyundai Excel with no power steering ('91 I think) so this post is near and dear to my heart. I think I went through about a 1/2 dozens car stereos over 3 years so I feel your pain. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. Seems like a pretty positive review of him.  He fits the type of pitcher that Elias drafted last year, once he finally did draft a pitcher. College starter. He was 22 last year in Aberdeen, a bunch of the SP we drafted were 21-23 in the GCL. 

A funny thought for anyone that thinks we should’ve kicked in money for Villar to buy a better prospect... I wonder how much Miami would have sold us their Competitive Balance pick for?  Probably not the 2-3 million that DD was handing them out for. 

Yeah, he fits the profile of some of the interesting, but limited ceiling pitchers the Orioles drafted in 2019. He and McLarty have the most starter traits. Good frames, moderate effort, good feel for multiple secondaries. McLarty is younger and has a better out pitch. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. And Jeter also traded a prospect for a prospect last year which rarely happens in baseball. He seems to be way out of his element....

Well it just so happens the parties involved in trading for Villar might not be the "best" GM's in baseball.  Cincinnati would be being praised on every national baseball site this morning if they would've picked up Villar.  Instead they signed a player that plays the same position as their best player.  Villar would've been a perfect fit for SD and their leadoff need.  Now they picked up Profar, who is more of a #6-#8 type hitter in a lineup, but hey... they saved 5 million.  :bangwall:

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nothing prohibits her from letting the sons run the team.  One of them needs to be selected as the ownership representative to MLB, however.  Same thing is done with the Lerner family due to Ted's age.  

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, he fits the profile of some of the interesting, but limited ceiling pitchers the Orioles drafted in 2019. He and McLarty have the most starter traits. Good frames, moderate effort, good feel for multiple secondaries. McLarty is younger and has a better out pitch. 

I'm pretty sure we didn't draft and sign a single HS pitcher in last year's draft.  Also, we picked Pendergast in the 28th round from Pepperdine.  The NYP league doesn't have alot of teams, so I think we saw a lot of this guy last year between the NYP league and NCAA.  I'm not saying that makes him some "steal", but I think this was more than just a random organizational type throw in.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

If this isn't an indictment over how teams view speed/defense players in today's MLB, I don't know what is.  The Orioles, partly because of the money and also because of the strengths/weaknesses of the player, can't even get a top 30 prospect from a middling farm system for a 4 win player.  Depending on the stat you use, he's slightly below average to slightly above average offensively, so let's say he's average.  His OBP doesn't stick out, so it's really his value on the basepaths as well as defense (and the numbers last year at 2B were not promising for the future.)  I can easily see teams looking at Villar and seeing further regression in his defense, and that this year offensively was an aberration.  The Orioles were in a really tight spot here either way you look at it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Where would you slot him among (1) our 2019 draft picks, and (2) our Aberdeen/GCL pitchers?    There’s a lot of overlap there, obviously.   

So that’s kind of tricky, he’s more likely to stay a starter than any of them. Most of them profile as relievers although I’m sure player development might try and change that. I’d put him behind the other likely starter McLarty because McLarty is notably younger and has a better out pitch. I’d also put him behind Gillispie who has a chance to a leverage reliever or opener with premium spin. So he’s right with Hammer who has a bit better stuff but less command and right ahead of McSweeney/Strowd, who are very relieverish IMO and have some command issues.

• Thanks 1