All 30 Teams non-tendered players

Philip

Just now, LookinUp said:

I would sign him before Russell. He was a kid when this allegedly happened. The lynch mob mentality that doesn't allow someone a future, despite him having processed through the criminal justice system, is over the top, IMO. 

I don't know if you've read the whole back story but essentially, he's always denied doing anything improper and only pled because he was advised to do so, was told he wouldn't be punished and that the record would be sealed. And all of that was true and accurate until it wasn't. 

A few years later, it all became public and the kids life is ruined. 

I have no idea if he's guilty or not and I'm not saying he did or didn't deserve punishment. But it sucks for him that his representatives told him one thing, he relied on it, and then the opposite happened. 

I have strong opinions about accusations, past and present, and even established guilt, past and present. In the world of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones has made it very clear that if you are a good receiver or quarterback or tackle, he doesn’t care if you murdered your mother. He will give you a contract. I detest that kind of hypocrisy, where we take the highroad when a player is Bad, and we Are full of forgiveness when the player is good.

However, I strongly believe there is a time for both forgiveness and consequences, sometimes both together. But that wasn’t really the point of my post. I think we should sign good players, and I think we should be willing to forgive people who made a mistake, even a serious mistake. 

But the post was about non-tendered players who could help us. Any suggestions?

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I would sign him before Russell. He was a kid when this allegedly happened. The lynch mob mentality that doesn't allow someone a future, despite him having processed through the criminal justice system, is over the top, IMO. 

https://medium.com/@JulieDiCaro/luke-heimlich-very-bad-takes-and-the-problem-with-second-chances-6c3a9ed25876

OK, focusing on the topic… It seems to me that the baseline is threefold. What a non-tendered player offers, what we can get in the rule five draft, and our own available players.

There is a potential cost difference, of course, our own guys, and the rule five guys will all be league minimum, and a non-tendered player will be perhaps a little bit more, but not significantly more.

There’s at least one 2+ WAR 2B let go by Philly, some catching possibilities, and maybe a reliever or two.

I don’t think we want an outfielder, we have plenty of those already, and I don’t think the available third basemen offer anything of interest either. So how do you guys feel about the available catchers or relievers? 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

OK, focusing on the topic… It seems to me that the baseline is threefold. What a non-tendered player offers, what we can get in the rule five draft, and our own available players.

There is a potential cost difference, of course, our own guys, and the rule five guys will all be league minimum, and a non-tendered player will be perhaps a little bit more, but not significantly more.

There’s at least one 2+ WAR 2B let go by Philly, some catching possibilities, and maybe a reliever or two.

I don’t think we want an outfielder, we have plenty of those already, and I don’t think the available third basemen offer anything of interest either. So how do you guys feel about the available catchers or relievers? 

I'd hope they'd take a look at Jimmy Nelson, Taijuan Walker, and Aaron Sanchez. They'll probably end up outside their price range, though.

Jose Peraza is intriguing. He was pretty bad last year, but he's only a year removed from solid year.

There were actually a lot of solid players let go yesterday, but I have the feeling that most of them will get offers outside of what the Orioles are willing to do.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a reasonable chance we grab a middle infielder or two off this list.    There already were about 30 free agents who were middle infielders, so prices should be cheap.     (That’s probably why Villar’s trade market was so soft.)

What do you know about Maikal Franco? I think he’s the only meaningful third baseman who got dumped, he wasn’t hitting very well and I don’t know anything about his defense. I don’t think he’s better than our own Ruiz, but he might be.

52 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'd hope they'd take a look at Jimmy Nelson, Taijuan Walker, and Aaron Sanchez. They'll probably end up outside their price range, though.

Jose Peraza is intriguing. He was pretty bad last year, but he's only a year removed from solid year.

There were actually a lot of solid players let go yesterday, but I have the feeling that most of them will get offers outside of what the Orioles are willing to do.

Sanchez would be a 2 year deal since he's headed to surgery and won't pitch in 2020 so I don't think he's a target.

Walker should draw a lot of interest from numerous teams. Maybe he likes the open door to starts he'd have here. 

I think Peraza is a bounce back candidate. 

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

What do you know about Maikal Franco? I think he’s the only meaningful third baseman who got dumped, he wasn’t hitting very well and I don’t know anything about his defense. I don’t think he’s better than our own Ruiz, but he might be.

He's always struggled at getting on base. Not great with the glove. I'm not a big Franco fan.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Addison Russell is exactly the type of player we should be picking up.  Only 25 years old, high upside.  Of course his past complicates things but someone is going to sign him either way, so why not us?

Only if Addison is going to make a sincere effort to improve his personal behavior. His upside is high, but so is his penchant for getting into trouble.