Maikel Franco

Just Regular

Here's one of my favorite Villar sequel attempts for 2020.  He's only 21 months older than Ruiz and has him 93-81 in OPS+.  B-Ref has Franco at -4 Rtot/yr, and Ruiz at 0.

Among the other half dozen worst teams, Mariners have Seager, Marlins Anderson (and Villar!), Royals Dozier, Tigers Candelario and Pirates Hayes.  I don't think he's the kind of guy better teams will want as a part-timer.

I think Franco's a fair candidate to rebound some with a clean shot at 155 games batting high in the order.  Once upon a time he hit almost as well as Kris Bryant when they were both rookies, and he has that Jay Gibbons thing of hitting for power without striking out much (granted some of that is the Adam Jones-y you can hack your way to a lower strikeout rate).

I confess I have psychobabble on him.  He's only disappointed since the great debut, and the Phillies messaged him they too had already had enough by drafting Alec Bohm.  I think he was a dead man walking in 2019 (just like Yusniel/Mountcastle chilling in the high minors in my mind), and am not sure its curtains for his career yet.  I know Rio Ruiz is a bit of an Elias guy, and of course right player right price, but I think I'd be in for a couple million.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

If he’s willing to take a minor league deal with an opt out after ST I’d be happy with that. I don’t think he is a guy you count on though. 

The Orioles are in a good position for position players (non-outfield) willing to take that kind of a deal because there are available ABs to be had and OPACY is a nice place to hit. Add in the lack of pressure compared to competitive environments, and it's a nice recipe to rebuild some value.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's one of my favorite Villar sequel attempts for 2020.  He's only 21 months older than Ruiz and has him 93-81 in OPS+.  B-Ref has Franco at -4 Rtot/yr, and Ruiz at 0.

Among the other half dozen worst teams, Mariners have Seager, Marlins Anderson (and Villar!), Royals Dozier, Tigers Candelario and Pirates Hayes.  I don't think he's the kind of guy better teams will want as a part-timer.

I think Franco's a fair candidate to rebound some with a clean shot at 155 games batting high in the order.  Once upon a time he hit almost as well as Kris Bryant when they were both rookies, and he has that Jay Gibbons thing of hitting for power without striking out much (granted some of that is the Adam Jones-y you can hack your way to a lower strikeout rate).

I confess I have psychobabble on him.  He's only disappointed since the great debut, and the Phillies messaged him they too had already had enough by drafting Alec Bohm.  I think he was a dead man walking in 2019 (just like Yusniel/Mountcastle chilling in the high minors in my mind), and am not sure its curtains for his career yet.  I know Rio Ruiz is a bit of an Elias guy, and of course right player right price, but I think I'd be in for a couple million.  

I was asking here about Franco just yesterday. The replies said that he’s bad with the glove and bad with the bat.

Ruiz Doesn’t hit very well, but his defense is good, and lateral moves waste time and energy without any benefit so pass.

32 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

The Orioles are in a good position for position players (non-outfield) willing to take that kind of a deal because there are available ABs to be had and OPACY is a nice place to hit. Add in the lack of pressure compared to competitive environments, and it's a nice recipe to rebuild some value.

Especially at 3B. Ruiz didn’t really cement himself as a contributor last year so while he is probably the front runner, it shouldn’t take much to take his place.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I would think he would be on the higher end of the nontender group.  But I can’t figure out this 2B market.

I think a decent team will want Hernandez - Philadelphia just seems ready for 3B Bohm/2B Kingery, or maybe getting themselves into the Didi market if Kingery CF and Segura 2B.

Anyway, a bit here curbing my own enthusiasm for the Franco concept - he was second worst MLB-wide last year at loose launch angle.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/lets-talk-about-launch-angle-tightness/

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I've actually followed his career a bit (thank you fantasy baseball!) and I really don't think he's worth the headache. If he was better OBP guy I'd consider it, but I don't think he is. The tools just aren't there.