2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

weams

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think Boras enjoys the deliciousness (and perhaps this is not a coincidence) of Strasburg's terms matching the reported Yankees "opening offer" on Gerrit Cole.

And thus the conversation framing is...is Cole 10% better?  25% better?

Cole now gets 300 Plus

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nats gets Strasburg back. 7/$245

Wow, I'm having a hard time getting behind that contract. 7 years...with his injury history. I feel like they would have been better off targeting a guy like Ryu on a shorter contract. I guess time will tell. 

I think Rendon to the Rangers is pretty much a done deal now. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I think so.   Mark Lerner said the other day they really couldn’t afford both.    And at that price, I can see why.    

Despite what Lerner said, they can still afford Rendon if they do a short term contract.

They got under the luxury tax last season and had about $90M to spend to match last year.  Scherzer comes off the books prior to Soto and Robles go to arbitration.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nationals are going to regret this contract three years in unless Strasburg’s arm holds up like Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan. 

Or Grienke, or Verlander, or Sabathia, or Scherzer, or Wainwright.

Great pitchers can still be effective at 35. Yeah it will probably be somewhat of a burden in year 6 or 7, but I think the Nats will be fine.