Miguel Castro robbed at gunpoint in D.R.

SteveA

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt this is common at all.     People don’t leave their home country, and all their friends and family, very easily.    And, a lot of the nearby countries aren’t necessarily much safer.    And, I have no idea how hard it is to get a residency visa in those countries.    

A good example being David Ortiz. He made $150M from playing baseball and still spends time in the DR. That might have changed after getting shot last year even if it was a case of mistaken identity. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree with Corn on this one.

So you cant get them into the states, but surely, there are safer places in the world, not named DR to relocate them to, being a ball player, they should be able to have the funds.

The US threat level for the DR is the exact same as for France and Spain. 

In regards to the recent incidents, which I specifically remember you bringing up in another thread...

In the end, tainted alcohol – which was suspected in several cases – was ruled out, as were other forms other foul play.  Autopsies and FBI toxicology reports have since determined that seven of the eight died of natural causes and the eighth is believed to have as well.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The US threat level for the DR is the exact same as for France and Spain. 

In regards to the recent incidents, which I specifically remember you bringing up in another thread...

In the end, tainted alcohol – which was suspected in several cases – was ruled out, as were other forms other foul play.  Autopsies and FBI toxicology reports have since determined that seven of the eight died of natural causes and the eighth is believed to have as well.

You are trying to make the case that DR is as safe as France and Spain?  Now I have heard everything.  I have been to both France and Spain and felt totally safe the whole time Spain especially. And you can drink the water. In DR most everyone stays behind gated resorts with armed guards.  

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A good example being David Ortiz. He made $150M from playing baseball and still spends time in the DR. That might have changed after getting shot last year even if it was a case of mistaken identity. 

The US is a lot more dangerous than places like say Iceland and Japan.  Yet I don't hear too many talking about moving to those places.  If you have family there and grew up there most likely you are going to return.  We aren't talking about South Sudan or North Korea. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt this is common at all.     People don’t leave their home country, and all their friends and family, very easily.    And, a lot of the nearby countries aren’t necessarily much safer.    And, I have no idea how hard it is to get a residency visa in those countries.    

I don't think anyone would move from the DR to Haiti willingly.    Also safer countries have rules about moving there.  Its not like they can all just pick up and move to Aruba or Turks and Caicos.   

I don't hear about Can of Corn's plan to retire to Norway to be safer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

Even if that's where you were from to visit your family?    I suppose the counter argument is to move them to 'merica………..wonder how often that happens.

Having returned to the US after spending most of the last two years in S. Korea and Japan, I have the distinct feeling that I am less safe here in terms of everyday life. Safer from invasion or bombardment by another nation-state, yes, but not from fellow inhabitants. (I was born and raised in Baltimore and have lived all over the country.)

24 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Having returned to the US after spending most of the last two years in S. Korea and Japan, I have the distinct feeling that I am less safe here in terms of everyday life. Safer from invasion or bombardment by another nation-state, yes, but not from fellow inhabitants. (I was born and raised in Baltimore and have lived all over the country.)

Welcome back!   Within the confines of the “no politics” rule, I’d love to hear about how things were in South Korea, especially people’s feelings about their relationship with the North.    And, did you see any Korean baseball while you were there?    How big a deal is it there?