The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

Just now, atomic said:

Online polls are worthless.  People vote multiple times.  If you don't believe me go to /r/baseball and read about it.  You can share you opinion and be the one voice other than the Astro's fan to think it isn't too light.   As much time as you spend on here talking about baseball I am sure you have the time to go to reddit and read the thread about this on there. 

Really you are better than this post.  You are saying you are  clearly ignorant of the situation and you I choose to continue to be ignorant of the situation but I am clearly wrong. 

I see what you’re saying, but I’ve made a conscious choice not to spend time on certain very popular sites like Reddit, Facebook and (for the most part) Twitter.   I’m just concerned that if I start doing that, I’ll get sucked down a rabbit hole and never get out.    I already spend more time on the internet (mostly here, and researching various baseball topics) than I think I really should.    So, if there are other Reddit aficionados here, I will leave it to them to say if your depiction of Reddit’s opinions on the Astros is accurate.   

As to online polls, I agree they are sometimes amenable to manipulation, but in this case I don’t see a reason why anyone would go to the trouble of stuffing the ballot box.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I love Reddit. I've posted questions ranging from finance advice to which laptop should I buy and have always gotten seemingly genuine responses/advice. Yes there's plenty of junk on there, but if you stick to the relevant Sub-Reddits it's a very useful tool. And it's 1,000 times better than Twitter, the absolute cesspool of social media. 

I'd categorize myself as active in one sub-reddit while dabbling in two more while lurking in another handful.  Overall it's a nice resource but the groupthink is real.  Folks have a tendency to mass downvote things they don't agree with. 

Obviously a sub-reddit like r/SousVide isn't going to be the same as r/Politics.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I had no idea that opinions on reddit were so monolithic.   Remind me not to go there.   

I mean...are they wrong? If you polled all 30 MLB teams anonymously and gave them the choice A and B how would they vote? 

A. A guaranteed World Series win, but must pay $5M, forfeit four draft picks, and hire a new GM/coach

B. No penalty, but no guarantee of a World Series win

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd categorize myself as active in one sub-reddit while dabbling in two more while lurking in another handful.  Overall it's a nice resource but the groupthink is real.  Folks have a tendency to mass downvote things they don't agree with. 

Obviously a sub-reddit like r/SousVide isn't going to be the same as r/Politics.

I would never purposely venture into a political sub-reddit. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I mean...are they wrong? If you polled all 30 MLB teams anonymously and gave them the choice A and B how would they vote? 

A. A guaranteed World Series win, but must pay $5M, forfeit four draft picks, and hire a new GM/coach

B. No penalty, but no guarantee of a World Series win

I think that’s a false choice.   Stealing signs gives a team an advantage but doesn’t guarantee them a WS title.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see what you’re saying, but I’ve made a conscious choice not to spend time on certain very popular sites like Reddit, Facebook and (for the most part) Twitter.   I’m just concerned that if I start doing that, I’ll get sucked down a rabbit hole and never get out.    I already spend more time on the internet (mostly here, and researching various baseball topics) than I think I really should.    So, if there are other Reddit aficionados here, I will leave it to them to say if your depiction of Reddit’s opinions on the Astros is accurate.   

As to online polls, I agree they are sometimes amenable to manipulation, but in this case I don’t see a reason why anyone would go to the trouble of stuffing the ballot box.   

You don't think some Astros fan couldn't write a script to vote 10,000 times?  If you don't have to log into vote I would consider an online poll completely useless.

Just now, atomic said:

You don't think some Astros fan couldn't write a script to vote 10,000 times?  If you don't have to log into vote I would consider an online poll completely useless.

Perhaps a fan could, but why would he/she?    It’s not worth the time.   There is no consequence to the poll.    

You’ve inspired me to do a poll here.   Coming next.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s a false choice.   Stealing signs gives a team an advantage but doesn’t guarantee them a WS title.   

I was speaking more from a hindsight perspective. Maybe the better question is do you think the Astros would go back in time and do it all over again now that they know the outcome and the punishment? 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps a fan could, but why would he/she?    It’s not worth the time.   There is no consequence to the poll.    

You’ve inspired me to do a poll here.   Coming next.   

Why would you think someone changing the poll results wouldn't be worth their time when you just quoted it as if it were meaningful. It wouldn't take much time to hack a poll.  Astro's fan trying to sway opinion.  

On here it would be different as you need an account to vote.  Think it is less meaningful though as it is only a subset of one team's fans. 

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

“I can’t comment on the specific [sign-stealing] investigation that we read is taking place for obvious reasons, but I think negative attention that’s been directed towards the Astros recently is a shame,” Elias said at the general manager meetings in November. “I’m very aware of all the good things and good people and incredible work and hard work that was done there basically over most of this decade to build that franchise into what it is now.

"I hate to see those accomplishments and those people disparaged just by association with a couple of weird episodes. We’ll see how it all shakes out, but there are a lot of positives — the people who run that place and the operation as a whole that just unfortunately is being overshadowed by some negativity right now. We’ll see where in regards to this latest situation, we’ll see where the league takes it. But I hope for the best.”

Taubman, Osuna, the Trash Can - kind of concerning he dismisses them as "a couple weird episodes."

Manfred really went at the Astros by describing their baseball operations culture as extremely problematic. I hope Elias hasn't brought that to Baltimore, but you'd have to be pretty naive to not at least be a little suspicious - especially with the way they are tanking and ex-employees are going on the record to complain about him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was speaking more from a hindsight perspective. Maybe the better question is do you think the Astros would go back in time and do it all over again now that they know the outcome and the punishment? 

I am sure they would. They won the World Series and the punishment to the players was nothing.  The team gets to keep the World Series and got a token fine which probably pales in comparison to all the money they made getting to the World Series and the ticket sales from their success.