Can we start a Yankees' magic number countdown?

Frobby

Have you ever been to an Orioles-Yankees game at OPACY in September in the last ten years? Seen the smug Yankee fans act as if OPACY was their home stadium?

If you have ever experienced this, I don't see how you couldn't care. Sure I wish the Orioles were in the race. But so long as they aren't, the next best thing is to see the Yankee fans knocked down a peg.

I only hope we can have the pleasure of being the team to mathematically eliminate them, during the last homestand ever played at Yankee Stadium. Then the Oriole fans who are there can preen and mug and dance in the aisles while the Yankee fans feel that empty feeling we've felt every year for the last 11 years.

That would be sweet.

I have, and I guess it's just me, i don't mind them nearly as much as the Red Sox fans. Don't misunderstand, I don't like the Yankees or root for them in any way. I just don't care about them one way or another. Until we get our own problems worked out, it just doesn't matter to me who wins the AL East. If we're in last, the order of the four teams above us matters little in my eyes. That's all. If it makes everyone happy, that's cool.

I long for the days when games in September matter for the Orioles regardless of who we're playing. That would something worth dancing in the aisles for.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do I have to bring up the UNC/dook comparison or wait for someone else?

Do I root for Duke to lose? Yes, however 9 times out of 10 it directly affects the Tar Heels. Does Duke losing to West Virginia in the second round of the NCAA's make me happy? Sure, but not enough to "dance around the aisles" as Frobby put it. I'm not going to get into the whole "You don't understand Carolina/Duke thing", because i know you don't want to hear it. But honestly, i WISH the Orioles had a rivalry that intense, believe me. The Oriole fans have a rivalry with the Yankees, but do you really think the o's are anywhere on the Yankees fans radar right now? It needs to be two sided to be taken seriously as a real rivalry. I hope we get back to that one day, but one crappy umpire call that we can't get over from 12 years ago doesn't equate to an intense rivalry.

Listen, if the Yankees losing to the Angels today put the O's 2 games back, I'd be going nuts rooting for the Angels and celebrating a Yankees loss. but it doesn't mean anything, much like them finishing 4th if we're 5th. Now, if we had a chance to finish ahead of them or anyone for that matter, it might be another story.

One quick point, if the O's and Rays were battling it out for the AL East title right now, no one would give a crap about what place the Yankees were in. and this is what I bring up all the time. When i was first getting into Baseball, the O's were good and the Yankees were awful. Then in the early 90s the Jays and O's had those battles and no one cared about New York or Boston.

It's all about who we're competing against, and besides 96 and '97, when we've been good in recent history, New york was bad, and in their current run '96-2007, save those first two years, we've been awful.

Look if the Heels finished in dead last in the ACC, would you want dook in first or 2nd to last? Or would it not make any difference to you?

I probably would not want them to succeed if I'm being honest. I stand by my assertion that the two rivalries are so different. But i understand.

I probably would not want them to succeed if I'm being honest. I stand by my assertion that the two rivalries are so different. But i understand.

They're certainly different but I guarantee you that there are O's fans out there (such as a few on this board) that despise the Yankees as much as you despise dook.

Rivalries and hating another team is part of what makes sports so great. When my team is out of it, there's nothing better than rooting against my more fortunate rival.

They're certainly different but I guarantee you that there are O's fans out there (such as a few on this board) that despise the Yankees as much as you despise dook.

Rivalries and hating another team is part of what makes sports so great. When my team is out of it, there's nothing better than rooting against my more fortunate rival.

I hate you sometimes Pedro. ;)

But you're right.

I dislike both the Yanks and the Red Sox, but the reason for me to jump for joy in this thread comes down to one simple fact that just blows my mind...

There are TEENAGERS in New York who have never seen the Yanks not make the playoffs. After 13 years it is time to see if MLB can run a playoffs without our friends from the Bronx.

(Also, IMO, the idea of having to listen to Joe Buck go on and on and on and on about this being the last ever playoffs in The Stadium is enough to make you want to watch curling instead.)

Archived