This is not baseball. An opinion.

now

18 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You're not watching the ballgame anyway, since the Orioles and all their players and management are terrible and not worth watching. 

If you want to do the wave you can save the cost of a ticket and a $12 beer and just do the wave out on the sidewalk.  And then you won't be standing up every 30 seconds in front of the people trying to watch the ballgame.

Most people do the wave when the stands are crowded.  Hard to get a wave going with a 1000 fans in the stands.  If you don't like the wave watch from home and save yourself $12 beer and a cost of a ticket.  Really such angst because of people having fun at a game.  The wave is part of what makes the game fun.  Like I said before baseball without fans is boring.  

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Most people do the wave when the stands are crowded.  Hard to get a wave going with a 1000 fans in the stands.  If you don't like the wave watch from home and save yourself $12 beer and a cost of a ticket.  Really such angst because of people having fun at a game.  The wave is part of what makes the game fun.  Like I said before baseball without fans is boring.  

I personally find the wave annoying - but, as a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. So, I'm with you. A functioning adult should realize not everything is for them. 

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

The wave is a symptom.  I probably shouldn't be upset by people who aren't particularly interested in baseball drifting off and finding other things to do when the game hits the 2:45 mark with four innings to go.

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The wave is a symptom.  I probably shouldn't be upset by people who aren't particularly interested in baseball drifting off and finding other things to do when the game hits the 2:45 mark with four innings to go.

Most people who go to baseball games go to enjoy themselves.  They are going to cheer on the team have a few beers  and have a good time with their friends and family.  There is even a bounce house and a playground which are both crowded during games.  When the team is winning it is more fun.  People start chants and get the wave going. I wonder what you thoughts were about Wild Bill.  Did you find him an unecessary distraction. 

I like going to baseball games.  I find going to football games in person less enjoyable.  Everyone is just standing up screaming the whole time.  Baseball is more relaxed enjoyment. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Most people who go to baseball games go to enjoy themselves.  They are going to cheer on the team have a few beers  and have a good time with their friends and family.  There is even a bounce house and a playground which are both crowded during games.  When the team is winning it is more fun.  People start chants and get the wave going. I wonder what you thoughts were about Wild Bill.  Did you find him an unecessary distraction. 

I like going to baseball games.  I find going to football games in person less enjoyable.  Everyone is just standing up screaming the whole time.  Baseball is more relaxed enjoyment. 

I loved Wild Bill.  I was a little kid and he was into the game and he led cheers to get the fans into the game. The wave is all about finding something to do because you're not paying attention to the game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I loved Wild Bill.  I was a little kid and he was into the game and he led cheers to get the fans into the game. The wave is all about finding something to do because you're not paying attention to the game.

I pay attention to the game and I enjoy the wave. You are gate keeping.  

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's fine.  Hate the wave!  My seat will always be a no wave zone.

Personally, I agree with you, let the others wave if they must, but was never something I understood or supported.

Rally caps now, are a fun way to inspire the team on. :)

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, I agree with you, let the others wave if they must, but was never something I understood or supported.

Rally caps now, are a fun way to inspire the team on. :)

Getting back to baseball for a moment  . . .

I'm not on anybody's side here, though if pressed I guess I'd have to say I have more antagonism toward the owners' side because (a) their Commissioner consistently misleads us and (b) the owners are unwilling to abide by the terms of their contract because they will lose too much money in light of the circumstances. Well, guess what? A lot of people have lost and will lose what to them is a lot of money because of the virus, and almost all of them can afford it less than every owner of an MLB team. And many of the owners have enriched themselves by feeding at the public trough in the form of stadium subsidies and tax breaks procured through deceit and threats to move their teams. This is their chance to pay some of that back, and they appear not to be too interested. 

To me, the financial resolution should be simple --- I don't mean easy, but simple. If the players play, the owners are obligated to pay the salaries that they have contracted to pay or are obligated to pay under their agreement with the union, pro-rated for the number of games played. So have the owners pay those salaries to guys who would make (before pro-rating) up to $X million. Have the high-salaried players share some of the pain: each guy who would make over $X million (before pro-rating) will get paid Y percent of his pro-rated amount. So only X and Y (or a sliding scale that's used for Y) have to be negotiated.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted in another thread my proposal for resuming the season. I would have a shorter season (60 games or thereabouts), with the playoffs ending by late September or early October to decrease the chances of running into a fall revival of Covid-19. And I proposed that for each game the home team give away, through a lottery, 500 pairs of tickets to that city's health-care workers, EMT personnel and supermarket employees. On reflection, I think the teams could sell a like number of tickets (I don't know the right number) to fans, through a lottery, with the price capped at something like $200 a ticket (or less, down to 0, if a team chooses). Finally, the no-fans or few-few-fans policy should be reconsidered for the playoffs.

I concluded my proposal by saying "At some point, there is so little baseball and so much other crap that it’s not worth it." The more I read about the other crap, the more I'm convinced that the right thing is to say the hell with it -- there's just not enough money in the fan-less version of baseball to make it worthwhile to the pigs on both sides -- and look forward to a real season in 2021.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Getting back to baseball for a moment  . . .

I'm not on anybody's side here, though if pressed I guess I'd have to say I have more antagonism toward the owners' side because (a) their Commissioner consistently misleads us and (b) the owners are unwilling to abide by the terms of their contract because they will lose too much money in light of the circumstances. Well, guess what? A lot of people have lost and will lose what to them is a lot of money because of the virus, and almost all of them can afford it less than every owner of an MLB team. And many of the owners have enriched themselves by feeding at the public trough in the form of stadium subsidies and tax breaks procured through deceit and threats to move their teams. This is their chance to pay some of that back, and they appear not to be too interested. 

To me, the financial resolution should be simple --- I don't mean easy, but simple. If the players play, the owners are obligated to pay the salaries that they have contracted to pay or are obligated to pay under their agreement with the union, pro-rated for the number of games played. So have the owners pay those salaries to guys who would make (before pro-rating) up to $X million. Have the high-salaried players share some of the pain: each guy who would make over $X million (before pro-rating) will get paid Y percent of his pro-rated amount. So only X and Y (or a sliding scale that's used for Y) have to be negotiated.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted in another thread my proposal for resuming the season. I would have a shorter season (60 games or thereabouts), with the playoffs ending by late September or early October to decrease the chances of running into a fall revival of Covid-19. And I proposed that for each game the home team give away, through a lottery, 500 pairs of tickets to that city's health-care workers, EMT personnel and supermarket employees. On reflection, I think the teams could sell a like number of tickets (I don't know the right number) to fans, through a lottery, with the price capped at something like $200 a ticket (or less, down to 0, if a team chooses). Finally, the no-fans or few-few-fans policy should be reconsidered for the playoffs.

I concluded my proposal by saying "At some point, there is so little baseball and so much other crap that it’s not worth it." The more I read about the other crap, the more I'm convinced that the right thing is to say the hell with it -- there's just not enough money in the fan-less version of baseball to make it worthwhile to the pigs on both sides -- and look forward to a real season in 2021.

The wave and rally caps are a part of baseball. :) :) :)

Im with you, soo much money, there has to be a fair way to compromise.

They have a spineless whimp as commish, voted in by the owners, as they can control him, like a puppet.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

So Baltimore City cancelled all events through the end of summer.  That doesn't bode well for the Orioles playing baseball at Camden Yards. Even the fireworks have been cancelled. 

They cancelled all events that are run or sponsored by the city of Baltimore (Artscape, fireworks, etc).   So that does not specifically apply to Oriole or Raven games, although it could be an indicator of the city government's opinion on events in the next 3 months.

The Orioles' have a lease with the state of Maryland / Stadium Authority, not the city.   Of course the city plays a role in Oriole games (city cops getting OT to work the stadium area on game days, etc).

So yeah, it could have an effect, but there's not necessarily a direct connection between the events the city is cancelling and Oriole games.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They cancelled all events that are run or sponsored by the city of Baltimore (Artscape, fireworks, etc).   So that does not specifically apply to Oriole or Raven games, although it could be an indicator of the city government's opinion on events in the next 3 months.

The Orioles' have a lease with the state of Maryland / Stadium Authority, not the city.   Of course the city plays a role in Oriole games (city cops getting OT to work the stadium area on game days, etc).

So yeah, it could have an effect, but there's not necessarily a direct connection between the events the city is cancelling and Oriole games.

The Orioles would need sign off from both the state of Maryland and the city of Baltimore to play at Camden Yards.  

The state has increased testing and the city of Baltimore just got a bunch of tests of their own.  You can now get tested in several places around the state by just driving up no appointment or doctors note needed. I think this is a step to opening things back up. If the public couldn't get tested why would you allow MLB to take tests for a game.

Maybe the fireworks can still happen.  The Towson was cancelled too.  I went to the one last year and no one was within 6 feet of us.  I am not sure the point to these.  If you can play golf you should be able to see fireworks.  Seems like anything family oriented is cancelled. Playgrounds are still closed in Baltimore City and County.  I went to Gunpowder Park on by the bay on Saturday, which is in Baltimore County and the playgrounds there were open as it was state property.