Tracking the Signings for the 2020 MLB Draft

What a helpful tool for measuring when all is said and done if Mayo/Baumler bonus out as high or low 2nd rounders.  The Signed Bonus sort only works on 1 round at a time, but it'd be easy to spreadsheet.

But without doing that, I filtered back to 2019, and some observations:

Six 2nd round picks were >$2M; seven 1st round picks were <$2M.

Gunnar's $2.3M was 2nd highest for a 2nd round pick, and ~31st overall draft-wide.

In Round 3, I remember Matthew Allan ($2.5M) getting more overslot press, but the Padres Hudson Head ($3.0M) got the most.  It was the Padres who finally stopped Wilcox's fall in Round 3 this year - guess that's their move.

Round 4 max bonus was $1M, Round 5 max bonus was $1.5M.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

With nothing to pay attention to but the draft this spring, it was the first time it really dawned on me the way the rules are set up, draft-eligible kids basically only enter pro ball at 18 or 21, unless there are Bryce-level shenanigans or maybe they skipped a grade or vice versa.

Also the closed system of 150 picks really drove home your signing bonus is your draft slot.  Belatedly, I've thrown these numbers into a spreadsheet to see if while Rounds 4/5 unfolded, did anyone else have the commensurate $1.75M for a Mayo/Baumler type guy.

The result was not really.  I got entering Round 4, the Orioles had about $3.5M left, and second place was Texas at $1.8M.  Everyone else was under $1.5M.

Bonus-wise, the 6 items the Orioles picked with their #1 pool equated to about 7, 34, 45, 49, 56 and 80.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really you can pro after one year at juco, you have draft eligible sophomores and lots of kids get signed as seniors.

True, and I know there will occasionally be the Pujols type legend, but imagine the NCAA + MLB net is pretty tight for domestic kids.  It looks like Pick 64 was the first guy B-Ref coded JuCo this year.

My admittedly simplistic understanding of draft eligible sophomores is you maybe missed a grade somewhere and now you are 21.  Senior signs = not real prospects, natch.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

True, and I know there will occasionally be the Pujols type legend, but imagine the NCAA + MLB net is pretty tight for domestic kids.  It looks like Pick 64 was the first guy B-Ref coded JuCo this year.

My admittedly simplistic understanding of draft eligible sophomores is you maybe missed a grade somewhere and now you are 21.  Senior signs = not real prospects, natch.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but our very own Nick Markakis didn't sign out of HS, played two years at Young Harris College (which was JUCO at the time***) and was taken as the 7th overall pick in 2003. I believe he was 19 when drafted and would turn 20 in November 2003 (so his baseball age would have been 19 for that season).

*** He was twice named Georgia Junior College Player of the Year and was awarded Baseball America's 2002 National JUCO Player of the Year.

55 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point, but our very own Nick Markakis didn't sign out of HS, played two years at Young Harris College (which was JUCO at the time***) and was taken as the 7th overall pick in 2003. I believe he was 19 when drafted and would turn 20 in November 2003 (so his baseball age would have been 19 for that season).

*** He was twice named Georgia Junior College Player of the Year and was awarded Baseball America's 2002 National JUCO Player of the Year.

Nick certainly would have been a better hometown memory than Pujols!

But I stick by the NCAA + MLB net being tight; certainly today is the first time I've looked at a year's draft results with this filter, but Nick was the only one of the 37 first-rounders his year typed JC.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2003&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

As of today he's still got Adam Jones 34-33 for most rWAR from that year's 1st round.

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm guessing more senior signs have made the majors than either you or I would expect.