60 man roster & taxi squad

bpilktree

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah they are working out in Bowie or Aberdeen under the auspices of our minor league staff, playing intrasquad games, etc.  The rest of our minor leaguers are home, on their own, hopefully adhering to their assigned workout plan but basically on their own.  Maybe going all summer without seeing a single 95 mph fastball or professional caliber slider, or having their delivery monitored by state of the art equipment.  Huge difference.

Yeah, I just saw an interesting note the A's are including 17-year old Robert Puason on their 60, and that only guys on 60 are trade eligible.  That's probably both BUY groundwork, and the chance to more robustly support a top talent.

To the extent owners have battled to get rid of minor leagues because 80%+ of the guys are fodder, I feel like we may see that manifest in 60 selections.

For the Orioles that might be something like Hernaiz and Prado yes, AAAA veterans no.

If taxi squad practice games are watchable anywhere, and the taxi squad is somewhat an organization wide All-Star team, it'd be like every one is a Futures Game just for us.  Who cares if Wade LeBlanc can get through 5 innings when we might get reports of whether Mountcastle can hit Rodriguez in live games?!?!  I fear that game data will be, ahem, proprietary though.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Yeah, I just saw an interesting note the A's are including 17-year old Robert Puason on their 60, and that only guys on 60 are trade eligible.  That's probably both BUY groundwork, and the chance to more robustly support a top talent.

To the extent owners have battled to get rid of minor leagues because 80%+ of the guys are fodder, I feel like we may see that manifest in 60 selections.

For the Orioles that might be something like Hernaiz and Prado yes, AAAA veterans no.

If taxi squad practice games are watchable anywhere, and the taxi squad is somewhat an organization wide All-Star team, it'd be like every one is a Futures Game just for us.  Who cares if Wade LeBlanc can get through 5 innings when we might get reports of whether Mountcastle can hit Rodriguez in live games?!?!  I fear that game data will be, ahem, proprietary though.

They've already stated that other teams scouts won't be allowed at the minor league intrasquad games (even though they can of course attend minor league games in normal seasons).

Which means those games/practices will be pretty much locked down.  Maybe beat reporters could be allowed to report to us?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

They've already stated that other teams scouts won't be allowed at the minor league intrasquad games (even though they can of course attend minor league games in normal seasons).

Which means those games/practices will be pretty much locked down.  Maybe beat reporters could be allowed to report to us?

I know Tony's is simming the MLB season, but if all the important minor leaguers are in OOTP,, I'm not sure who would win a 60-game series between the Opening Day MLB Orioles and the Opening Day Taxi Squad Orioles.  At least the org would be guaranteed a .500 record in that setup.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

I know Tony's is simming the MLB season, but if all the important minor leaguers are in OOTP,, I'm not sure who would win a 60-game series between the Opening Day MLB Orioles and the Opening Day Taxi Squad Orioles.  At least the org would be guaranteed a .500 record in that setup.

Once rosters come out, I’ll try it on MLB The Show.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I didn’t realize the taxi squad would be playing games (until reading this thread).  For most of us here those games would mean more to us than the MLB games (unless more prospects get called up than we anticipate).  Shame that we may not know anything about how those games go.   Hoping your right that local reporters get to disperse some info on how the players in those games preform.  

5 minutes ago, murph said:

I didn’t realize the taxi squad would be playing games (until reading this thread).  For most of us here those games would mean more to us than the MLB games (unless more prospects get called up than we anticipate).  Shame that we may not know anything about how those games go.   Hoping your right that local reporters get to disperse some info on how the players in those games preform.  

Depending on where they play/practice and how tight they close the place down, it would still be possible to observe at certain places.

57 minutes ago, murph said:

How much could you actually play? With 26 men on the MLB roster, that would leave only 34 to fill presumably two teams. Even with no DH that would leave 9 pitchers per team. Could they play every other day with 3 starters and 6 relievers?

15 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They left open a bunch of spots though as that is only 45 by my count.  I am guessing rest will be prospects or couple of claims.

44, Mancini doesn't count on the list. The Nationals released their entire 60-man list, not sure why the Orioles aren't doing the same.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Doesn't look much different than what you would expect from a typical 40 man roster. Not enough guys to do intrasquad unless there are more names coming. No Mountcastle or Rutschman. No Akin, Lowther, Bauman, or Kremer. 

That’s massively disappointing. Do we know the service rules yet this year? If they are changed there is no reason why we shouldn’t see younger guys this year 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Doesn't look much different than what you would expect from a typical 40 man roster. Not enough guys to do intrasquad unless there are more names coming. No Mountcastle or Rutschman. No Akin, Lowther, Bauman, or Kremer. 

I would expect those six names plus Yusniel Diaz and Evan Phillips as the obvious no-brainers to be added soon.

Zimmermann, Urena, Mason Williams seem fairly likely as well.

I would expect at least one more catcher too.