Update: Chris Davis missed two games with sinus infection, has recovered

MurphDogg

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also, the D-Rays have Blake Snell on the mound, who has been an "Opener" since late last season. He only pitched 2 innings in his 2020 season debut, and he pitched 2.33 innings or less in his final 3 starts of the 2019 season ........ so the Orioles will likely be seeing numerous pitching changes tonight, even if the opposition is pitching well.

o

I thought he wasn’t gonna play for a pay cut?

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

Also, the D-Rays have Blake Snell on the mound, who has been an "Opener" since late last season. He only pitched 2 innings in his 2020 season debut, and he pitched 2.33 innings or less in his final 3 starts of the 2019 season ........ so the Orioles will likely be seeing numerous pitching changes tonight, even if the opposition is pitching well.

o

Snell is looking at a 3-4 innings limit per Marc Topkin.

Blake Snell goes into Friday’s start in Baltimore looking to increase his workload to three or four innings after throwing 46 pitches over two in his Sunday debut.

“If we can get Blake where his pitch count is down, I think we can start adding innings, maybe multiple innings,” Cash said.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

https://www.camdenchat.com/2020/2/19/21142362/mlb-baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-offseason-comments

“I hit the way I hit”

When Davis was asked about the club’s offseason plans for him, he said that any major changes to his swing mechanics and stance weren’t in play. “I hit the way I hit” were his exact words. I understand that Davis was once one of the most feared power hitters in the game and that he thinks his current swing got him there. But baseball is a game of adjustments. There have been Hall of Famers who tinkered with their mechanics and swing over the course of a career. I find Davis’ refusal to make any sort of meaningful change frustrating.

Yeah.. that's exactly the type of stuff I'm referring to. He must not care that much about his performance (or the team for that matter) if that's his attitude. I won't believe he doesn't have Covid until he takes that ninth test, though.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

This is objectively false.

He was the worst player in baseball for one (1) year. 2018.

Jeff Mathis and Lewis Brinson were worse last year and there are a handful of others that could be debated.

In 2017, he wasn't among the 50 worst players or even the worst LF/DH/1B type on the Orioles (Trumbo was significantly worse). He was least charitably, the 4th worst Oriole, after Trumbo, Tillman and Hardy. Fangraphs had him at 0.0 WAR that year, behind any number of other Orioles that played that year like Austin Hays, Paul Janish, and Vidal Nuno.

I would suggest that the fact he's being paid $21M to be in the discussion for worst player in the league for any year much less two in a row is enough to say he's worse than all those guys. He's that bad plus he's pulling down elite player paychecks. He was so bad that he was setting records, right? For $21M a year? If he's making Austin Hays money, no one cares and he's probably not even on the team right now. I see your point, though. I just think that massive salary he's pulling down has to factor into the discussion at some point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

He has stated several times he doesn’t think a swing overhaul is worth it, he has maligned the shift, his bad luck on hard hit balls. All smacks of a guy who doesn’t get it...

He said this past off season he didn't make swing adjustments, but he focused on bulking up.

In previous off seasons he was told he should develop more lean muscle while at the same time adjusting his swing.

I am not going to say he is going to turn into what he was, or even that he will some day become an average player again, but to say he doesn't care or doesn't try because of the results is wrong.

Every interview I have ever seen with him in the off season on MLB network was him literally driving to see his swing coach or coming back from a workout.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

His second at bat looked like 2018 Chris Davis.  Two consecutive 77 mph curveballs he just looked at.  Strike 3 was a good pitch but it looked to me like strike 2 was right down the middle.   

At least DJ Stewart swung at strike 3 and didn't just look at it.

I just watched it again, both pitches were very good curveballs. Strike 2 was hardly down the middle, it started off the plate and caught the outside of the zone, strike 3 started even further off the plate and clipped the corner.

If it was anybody but Chris Davis, nobody would be complaining about that strikeout.

See for yourself

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I just watched it again, both pitches were very good curveballs. Strike 2 was hardly down the middle, it started off the plate and caught the outside of the zone, strike 3 started even further off the plate and clipped the corner.

If it was anybody but Chris Davis, nobody would be complaining about that strikeout.

See for yourself

The second curveball ended up almost dead center of the strike zone.   

I'm not going to get on a guy for one AB but he's been in a slump for three years now and hasn't changed his approach. Last night he came in after Severino's homer with a man on 1st and no out. Did not even fake a bunt despite the extreme shift, ended up striking out. So frustrating to see the same thing over and over. Seeing Ji Man reminded me we could have just kept him and gotten more production at zero cost.

23 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

He has been the worst player in baseball for years. He should be open to an overhaul (no matter how you define that).

And the shift hurts every hitter like him, and yet he is the only one setting records for poor play.

He was asked to go to and try a swing school. He said he preferred not to. I guess he wanted to stay home. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm not going to get on a guy for one AB but he's been in a slump for three years now and hasn't changed his approach. Last night he came in after Severino's homer with a man on 1st and no out. Did not even fake a bunt despite the extreme shift, ended up striking out. So frustrating to see the same thing over and over. Seeing Ji Man reminded me we could have just kept him and gotten more production at zero cost.

At a certain point it isn't a slump.  Davis reached that point a couple years ago.

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Who am I going to believe, you or my lying eyes?

Seemed pretty center to me.  A bit to the left (see white dot and "77" text below)

Plus, right handed pitcher and Davis is a left handed batter.  Those types of a pitches I crush on Super Mega Baseball 2 ?

l3ElNxu.png

• Upvote 1