Jorge Lopez for the playoff run

backwardsk

34 minutes ago, robin147 said:

Transactions say he was optioned to Bowie, so I guess he was either not out of options or agreed to be optioned? Either way, hes on 40 man, but not joining 28 man right now

I thought he needed to be added due to options. Maybe they have a window for him to report? 

The Orioles had not added López to their 28-man active roster as of Sunday afternoon; until they do, he’ll be assigned to their alternate training site in Bowie, Md.

From MLB

The Orioles are evidently hoping that a change of scenery can help jump start Lopez's career. Since he has no minor-league options remaining, Lopez should join the active roster right away, likely slotting into a bullpen role.

Maybe they are waiting for him to report

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-jorge-lopez-headed-to-baltimore/

The Royals announced Friday that right-hander Jorge Lopez has been designated for assignment. He’d been on the bereavement list, and because he’s out of minor league options, had to either be added back to the 28-man roster or designated for assignment. The Kansas City front office clearly didn’t feel that Lopez was among the team’s 28 best options, so he’ll now await the resolution of his DFA status. The Royals have a week to trade Lopez, release him or run him through outright waivers.

If he had options the Royals probably don’t release him

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jorge-lopez

Update: The Orioles placed López, claimed off waivers yesterday from the Royals, on the injured list. 

This is done as a roster mechanism while he undergoes safety and health protocols prior to joining the 28-man roster. The intake testing and waiting for the results.

From Masn 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So looking at his stats he looks really unimpressive, but watching his stuff through some videos you can see the promise.

I went over to baseball savant and looked at his statcast numbers and then watched random videos of his stuff. 

He's been used mainly as a starter and I think he might be better suited as a fastball/sinker and curveball guy out of the pen. His curveball can be a plus pitch at times (up to 84 MPH). The problem I see is it can roll up there at times closer to 80 MPH and it looses it's bite.
https://sporty-clips.mlb.com/2b4f5c1c-bd75-4f76-8fd9-acff8cc8ef63.mp4

His sinker gets plus movement both vertically and horizontally at times but the pitch has been hit fairly effectively so I wonder if the Orioles will see if he can work on a true 4-seamer and see if he get more spin rate on the pitch. In 2019 he seemed to have more success in the upper part of the zone with his 4-seamer so it would make sense if they try to make him a 4-seamer/curveball guy out of the pen and see what it looks like. 

He needs to ditch the slider and change though. Neither are very good pitches.

Good info. Hopefully the Orioles are able to make those changes during the season. David Hess has only pitched once since opening day, so I guess they can use Lopez in his role as the 28th roster spot for emergency mopup and treat him as essentially a Rule 5 guy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So looking at his stats he looks really unimpressive, but watching his stuff through some videos you can see the promise.

I went over to baseball savant and looked at his statcast numbers and then watched random videos of his stuff. 

He's been used mainly as a starter and I think he might be better suited as a fastball/sinker and curveball guy out of the pen. His curveball can be a plus pitch at times (up to 84 MPH). The problem I see is it can roll up there at times closer to 80 MPH and it loses it's bite.

His sinker gets plus movement both vertically and horizontally at times but the pitch has been hit fairly effectively so I wonder if the Orioles will see if he can work on a true 4-seamer and see if he get more spin rate on the pitch. In 2019 he seemed to have more success in the upper part of the zone with his 4-seamer so it would make sense if they try to make him a 4-seamer/curveball guy out of the pen and see what it looks like. 

If Holt can work with him in Bowie those things can be addressed.   I think that is the goal.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's been used mainly as a starter and I think he might be better suited as a fastball/sinker and curveball guy out of the pen. His curveball can be a plus pitch at times (up to 84 MPH). The problem I see is it can roll up there at times closer to 80 MPH and it loses it's bite.

Looks like he sits mid-90s, maybe moving to relief will let him kick it up a few ticks and be a poor man's, RHP Zach Britton

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Looks like he sits mid-90s, maybe moving to relief will let him kick it up a few ticks and be a poor man's, RHP Zach Britton

He's going to need to be able to be consistent, which is something it appears he struggles with. He's worth as a reliever on this team considering the options.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:30 PM, robin147 said:

Transactions were updated, he was placed on IL while undergoing COVID screening

23 hours ago, wildcard said:

A lot depends on how long they can keep him on the IL.  I can still see them putting him through waiver to get him off the 40 man roster and to Bowie if he can't stay on the IL very long.

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

But he'll have to pass through waivers to be assigned to Bowie, right?

I was wondering about all this, not because I care anything about Lopez but because Means has been put in the same situation now. I'm wondering when HE will be back.

I thought the IL for intake testing was a very grey area, almost a formality. Rosterbation.