Cedric Mullins is on the move

wildcard

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins does not have to hit for power any more than Alberto does.  If he can gets on base at a 350 clip and runs the bases well he will be a asset.  I team should be made up of batters the can get on base and those the can drive runs in.  If some can to both all the better.    Weaver use to talk about using player 's talent to better the team.  Most players have faults.   Playing them to take advantage for their talent is the key.

Lowenstein could not hit lefties.  Roenicke could not hit righties.   Belanger and Dempsey didn't hit much but were good defensively.  Use the player's talents to better the team.

No.  Alberto has power when he sells out Mullins is not Alberto. 

Cedric looks better at the plate.  He put up pretty good numbers throughout the minors and at some point was something like our no. 5 prospect (2017 or 2018?). He was always a better player than what he showed last season when he looked completely overmatched. He even struggled when he went back to Norfolk so I credit a lot of his struggles in 2019 to mental issues. 

I still have hopes he can be a valuable fourth outfielder. He can go get them in center. Better range and body control than Hays. That arm will keep him in left though when Hays gets off the DL. 

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Cedric looks better at the plate.  He put up pretty good numbers throughout the minors and at some point was something like our no. 5 prospect (2017 or 2018?). He was always a better player than what he showed last season when he looked completely overmatched. He even struggled when he went back to Norfolk so I credit a lot of his struggles in 2019 to mental issues. 

I still have hopes he can be a valuable fourth outfielder. He can go get them in center. Better range and body control than Hays. That arm will keep him in left though when Hays gets off the DL. 

It would seem that Mullins is about to become the O's leadoff hitter if he keeps hitting well.  Could be hard for Hays to replace him when he gets off the IL next week.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It would seem that Mullins is about to become the O's leadoff hitter if he keeps hitting well.  Could be hard for Hays to replace him when he gets off the IL next week.  

Let’s not get carried away. We are still looking at an extremely small sample size.  I think he’s deserving of regular starts but Hays needs to be playing everyday when  healthy. 

I think you can still get Cedric in the lineup three days a week even with everyone healthy and bring him in as a late defensive replacement. 

I like Mullins, but there is nothing in his track record that screams everyday player to me. 

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Let’s not get carried away. We are still looking at an extremely small sample size.  I think he’s deserving of regular starts but Hays needs to be playing everyday when  healthy. 

I think you can still get Cedric in the lineup three days a week even with everyone healthy and bring him in as a late defensive replacement. 

I like Mullins, but there is nothing in his track record that screams everyday player to me. 

I would not sit a player that is hot.  Cedric is.   Play him regularly until he cools off.

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Let’s not get carried away. We are still looking at an extremely small sample size. 

Hey, maybe StatNerds© need more than 35 bats for absolute certainty that years-long trends have been upended.  But this is the internet.  Statistical significance is whatever we want it to be.

Plus, the OP just said he was watching things.  Kind of like how you watch an Olympic race and see that after 3/10ths of a second that random guy Belarus is ahead of Usain Bolt, and you'll keep watching to see if he wins.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would not sit a player that is hot.  Cedric is.   Play him regularly until he cools off.

If you ignore history and just go with hot streaks you'll usually end up with 50 at bats of a .800 OPS, then another 50, 100, 200 at bats of a .650 waiting for his hot streak to come back.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mullins went to AA last year. This year he was optioned and Dwight Smith stayed on the team. 

Now after a good week he is going to replace Hays? I could see him get play a decent amount. They could sit some of the starters once a week and/or use them at DH to create opportunities for him. That is all possible and realistic. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mullins went to AA last year. This year he was optioned and Dwight Smith stayed on the team. 

Now after a good week he is going to replace Hays? I could see him get play a decent amount. They could sit some of the starters once a week and/or use them at DH to create opportunities for him. That is all possible and realistic. 

My guess is that Smith goes once/if Davis comes back.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

My guess is that Smith goes once/if Davis comes back.

To be honest like you I’m not convinced Davis will be back this year. 

Hays is healing slowly. I’m hoping he can get back. With Ryan up here  now that would be the best and most entertaining team to put on the field. I don’t know why they would keep Smith once Hays is back but who knows. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hays is healing slowly. I’m hoping he can get back. With Ryan up here  now that would be the best and most entertaining team to put on the field. I don’t know why they would keep Smith once Hays is back but who knows. 

I agree ....I think Smith goes. I dint think Mullins will continue to hit but if he does it’s a good problem.

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yep they stashed Davis on the IL and they will probably leave him there for the remainder of the season.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

324/378/412/790

Still watching.

Over the last six games, Mullins has hit .476/.500/.619.

And the Orioles are 0-6, which is probably why I hadn’t noticed.   

Honestly I have no problem with you pointing out his hot streak.   It’s the first time he’s shown signs of a pulse at the major league level  since August 2018.   On Aug. 31 that year, he was hitting .317/.386/.556.   Since then:

.186/.269/.243 in Sept. 2018

.094/.181/.156 in 2019

.077/.200/.077 in his first 10 games this year.

So yeah, the hot streak is refreshing.    Hopefully he can maintain it for a while and show he’s not as bad as he’s looked at times.

But I have to warn you that, even in the minors, Mullins has been prone to some hellacious cold streaks.   Streaks that can last 4-6 weeks where he’s extremely nonproductive.    For that reason, he’s got a lot to prove that even a hot streak of a few weeks (rather than 6 days) won’t accomplish.