Elias interview with Chris “loud mouth” Russo

Sports Guy

The most interesting thing I heard him say is that we’d be looking to buttress the team in the offseason “as we did last winter with Jose Iglesias, who’s been huge for us.”   We can pretty much assume his option will get exercised, and perhaps we’ll be looking for another vet at about that level of price tag.    

Just now, Sports Guy said:

For someone who has been in this profession as long as Russo, that was a brutal interview on his part.

I never listen to him and this is a good reason why.

I actually think he’s usually a pretty good interviewer, though his voice is like chalk on a blackboard.    I agree he wasn’t particularly incisive in this one.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The most interesting thing I heard him say is that we’d be looking to buttress the team in the offseason “as we did last winter with Jose Iglesias, who’s been huge for us.”   We can pretty much assume his option will get exercised, and perhaps we’ll be looking for another vet at about that level of price tag.    

Third base. Nunez is bad, Ruiz isn’t adequate and Gunnar( if he’s destined for third) isn’t near ready yet. Not sure who else in the system is a likely 3B, so I bet that’s what he’ll focus on.

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

Third base. Nunez is bad, Ruiz isn’t adequate and Gunnar( if he’s destined for third) isn’t near ready yet. Not sure who else in the system is a likely 3B, so I bet that’s what he’ll focus on.

While I’m not advocating for Nunez as our long-term answer (certainly not at 3B), his .809 OPS with 10 homers and 24 RBI on a rebuilding team allows me to look past some of his defensive shortcomings.

7 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

While I’m not advocating for Nunez as our long-term answer (certainly not at 3B), his .809 OPS with 10 homers and 24 RBI on a rebuilding team allows me to look past some of his defensive shortcomings.

Oh I don’t disagree, I’m saying he’s no third baseman, and as soon as we have a surplus of designated hitters, he’s the least versatile

I don't expect Elias to spend much on FA this off season.    He already has one of the top offenses in the AL and Mancini and Santander will be back.  And he has a bunch of young pitchers coming.    Maybe a starter to replace Cobb.  Cobb will be the big trade this off season and he will send money with him.   I expect Davis to be let go probably by late November before the roster is set for the Rule 5 draft.

I am not  a  Russo fan but I did not see anything wrong with the interview.   I had not heard Elias address his relationship with Hyde in quite this way.  He made it clear that lineups and  game strategy are Hyde responsibility and Elias does not get into that.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Not a good crop of 3B Free Agents this winter. Only Justin Turner is a real ML third baseman and he'll be too expensive. There are guys like Eric Sogard who would be cheap, but they aren't real upgrades over Rio. Rylan Bannon will be in the mix next summer, too.

I like the idea of bringing in Stroman, but we all know what the likelihood of that is. 

52 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Not a good crop of 3B Free Agents this winter. Only Justin Turner is a real ML third baseman and he'll be too expensive. There are guys like Eric Sogard who would be cheap, but they aren't real upgrades over Rio. Rylan Bannon will be in the mix next summer, too.

I like the idea of bringing in Stroman, but we all know what the likelihood of that is. 

I don’t think Turner will be all that expensive. Not that I want him but I bet he could be had for 2/12 or so. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

True.... but Núñez can be kept around due to DH. But I agree with Ruiz, the occasional big homerun isn’t enough.