Greene being forced out of San Diego?

Crazysilver03

Why would the San Diego Padres offer a contract extension to Daniel Cabrera, who many think should be non-tendered?

A shortstop of Khalil Greene's caliber is a scarcer commodity than a pitcher of Daniel Cabrera's caliber (although neither is a hot commodity coming off a dismal season).

If San Diego decides to trade Greene, the Padres will get more than a Daniel Cabrera in return.

If San Diego wants more in return than that, IMO they will need to eat a large portion of Greene's contract. If they do not want to do that, then we will eat some of DCabs money, and give them DCab.

Who knows, maybe DCab turns into a DTrain like hitter and pitcher in the NL. :laughlol:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Penn and Cabbrera for Greene.
I'd do it, although I think SD might do it just for either of those guys. I really think they are gonna be quite desperate to get rid of Greene, its just a matter of if they'd like to roll the dice on Cabrera or just dump the salary.

Sign me up for that one. We have to keep Penn on the 25 man, and if he's lit up again or injured, we'll just waive him. Better to get something for him than risk losing him to waivers even if it's only a piece of Khalil Greene.

DCab will have a whole lot of room to work with so he shouldn't give up as many HRs...

And he had a .542 OPS outside of SD last year. That's Castroesque. I'd be amazed if they get anything of significant value for him - unless they pay almost all of his salary - or take on a similarly bad salary.

Unless he is still injured, (wasn't he hurt for part of last year?) there is no reason why he can't come back and equal his past numbers. Plus he is a SS. He'll get value, but nothing more than a DCab and a lower level prospect or some cash.

I'm confused. Why would you offer that much for Greene? If you don't want DCab, then don't offer him arbitration. You're taking on salary for no reason. Force them to take on salary - Walker, Baez, or Ramon - to make it fair.

Sign me up for that one. We have to keep Penn on the 25 man, and if he's lit up again or injured, we'll just waive him. Better to get something for him than risk losing him to waivers even if it's only a piece of Khalil Greene.

Penn is from California so it would allow him to go home as well.

Unless he is still injured, (wasn't he hurt for part of last year?) there is no reason why he can't come back and equal his past numbers. Plus he is a SS. He'll get value, but nothing more than a DCab and a lower level prospect or some cash.

He got hurt when he broke his own hand! Until, then - he was perfectly healthy - as far as I know.

I'm confused. Why would you offer that much for Greene? If you don't want DCab, then don't offer him arbitration. You're taking on salary for no reason. Force them to take on salary - Walker, Baez, or Ramon - to make it fair.

MLBTR noted that Towers is looking for a veteran backup catcher. We could possibly send Ramon Hernandez plus cash in exchange for Greene. Not sure how much cash would make it worth their while, but it's a thought. That would certainly kill two birds with one stone.

Why would anyone want these guys?

Unlike them, Greene plays a position where we currently have nobody, actually probably has a chance to bounce back, and is young enough that if he does he could be part of our future. Not to mention if he does bounce back in any meaningful way his game is much more suited to Camden Yards than Petco.

I don't think Greene's value is so low that they have to actually take on more salary than they are giving up to get rid of him.

Penn and Cabrera for Greene is fair for both sides. Penn, Cabrera, and Walker for Greene is not. We're not gonna be able to unload Walker, Baez, or Hernandez on the Padres unless we're also giving up a good prospect like Reimold, which I'd rather not do.

MLBTR noted that Towers is looking for a veteran backup catcher. We could possibly send Hernandez plus cash in exchange for Greene. Not sure how much cash would make it worth their while, but it's a thought. That would certainly kill two birds with one stone.

Ramon played in San Diego before signing with Baltimore as a Free Agent. I dont remember if he wore out his welcome or not.

Ramon played in San Diego before signing with Baltimore as a Free Agent. I dont remember if he wore out his welcome or not.

Well, there was the not blocking the plate in the playoffs and then having the audacity to tell a reporter that he didn't want to get hurt in his contract year incident. :laughlol:

Greene is exactly the kind of player we should go after.

He could be had for cheap and we have to make a push for him.

He is a huge upgrade over any shortstop free agent or anyone in our system.

JJ Hardy is going to cost us too much in return and in my opinion is not worth the cost.

DCab and a bunch of cash for Greene, could work. I would offer any of the Olson, Liz, Hernandez type pitchers we have and cash as well.

I would like to trade them Ramon as well but think we would have to throw in way too much cash.

Well, there was the not blocking the plate in the playoffs and then having the audacity to tell a reporter that he didn't want to get hurt in his contract year incident. :laughlol:

In that case, there could be no amount of money to offer the Padres that would make them take on Ramon. Who knows? Just an idea.

Archived