Playoffs are set

SteveA

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shame.

I'm rooting for the Padres but I think their pitching injuries will do them in.

Another one for the Padres here too.  Hoping the offense can carry them.  Dreaming of a Padres/Whitesox WS.  So going with Padres over the Whitesox in 7 games (if this WS is still 7 games, have not paid good attention to all the changes). 

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Needless to say, this is the team which I'll be rooting for in the post-season tournament ........

o

o

My 1st llpick to represent the American League in the 2020 World Series is the lWhite Sox.

My 2nd lpick to represent the American League in the 2020 World Series is the llAthletics.

o

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how it was decided that the A's should be considered the second seed in the playoffs, while the Twins should be third?

The two teams finished with identical won-lost records, did not face each other head-to-head, and had no common opponents.

Actually, whoever made this decision probably didn't do the A's any favors.  The seventh-seeded White Sox look like a more formidable opponent than the sixth-seeded Astros.

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

That was also the season in which the Cincinnati Reds had the best overall record in the Major Leagues in the 2 combined split-seasons ........ but did not qualify for the postseason.

The '81 Orioles had the 3rd-best record in the AL and there were four playoff teams, none of whom were the Orioles.

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

That was also the season in which the Cincinnati Reds had the best overall record in the Major Leagues in the 2 combined split-seasons ........ but did not qualify for the postseason.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1981.shtml

FOUR YEARS OF TWO ALL-STAR GAMES | Baseball History Comes Alive!

o

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1981 Orioles had the 3rd-best record in the AL, and there were 4 playoff teams, none of whom were the Orioles.

o

That was probably not the best handling of the situation by Bowie Kuhn, especially in regard to what happened with the Reds.

In the pre-Wildcard days, it wasn't unusual for one team to win 95 games and not make the playoffs while another team won 90 games and made it because one team's division was weaker than the other ...... but for the Reds to have had the best overall record in the Major Leagues and not make the post-season marked a whole new level of fairness inefficiency. 

o

8 hours ago, WillyM said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how it was decided that the A's should be considered the second seed in the playoffs, while the Twins should be third?

The two teams finished with identical won-lost records, did not face each other head-to-head, and had no common opponents.

Actually, whoever made this decision probably didn't do the A's any favors.  The seventh-seeded White Sox look like a more formidable opponent than the sixth-seeded Astros.

The first tiebreaker was division record, even though they played in different divisions.  I guess since all games were East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West... Division record = league record.

If that was tied then it was record in final 20 division (league) games.

If that was tied then record in final 21 div games, the. 22, the n23, and so on.

Kind of silly but those are the rules.

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

That was probably not the best handling of the situation by Bowie Kuhn, especially in regard to what happened with the Reds.

In the pre-Wildcard days, it wasn't unusual for one team to win 95 games and not make the playoffs while another team won 90 games and made it because one team's division was weaker than the other ...... but for the Reds to have had the best overall record in the Major Leagues and not make the post-season marked a whole new level of fairness inefficiency.

The split season concept comes up occasionally, it was first used in the late 1800s for a year, then abandoned.  It's sometimes used in the minors, where no one cares about the postseason (or regular season for that matter).  Conceptually it's messed up because it gives a playoff birth to teams that got hot early no matter what they do the rest of the year.  So you're often giving a postseason birth to a team that just hasn't been good in months, and after injuries and trades may not even be comprised mainly of the players who got them the birth.

16 hours ago, WillyM said:

A’s won their division.  WS didn’t and ended up a WC team.

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

When people blather this guy or that guy would never be on a winning team, I will remind them that TJ McFarland was named to his team's wildcard round roster this year.  So was Jonah Heim.

And good for both of them! I’ve always liked TJ, and Heim is just a great feel-good story.