O's get #5 pick in 2021 draft

oriolediehard

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Were just there in September at Sherando Park, and then the next weekend in Front Royal.  But not scheduled out that way the rest of the year.  I'd never been downtown in Winchester before, but we ate outside a decent Mexican place in the pedestrian area.  Wanted to go to Macados for the nostalgia (there is/was one in Blackburg, haven't been since college) but the line was out the door.

I've heard that Mexican place is good.  But the best tacos you'll ever have are next to a gas station off Rt 7.  

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I love the Orioles.  I don't like three true outcomes baseball.  The more it happens, the less I'll care to pay attention or spend money on it.  I'm 60, and some of this might come off as stay off my lawn stuff.  But many of the games are not that interesting, at least for me.

It's a disconnect.  The players are better than ever, but the style of play is laser focused on just a couple of things: power hitting and power pitching.  I want bigger fields and more contact so the game can showcase defense and baserunning.  Athleticism.

It's great Clay Bellinger can hit a 100mph fastball 107 mph, but that shouldn't be the sole focus of the game.  In my opinion.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've heard that Mexican place is good.  But the best tacos you'll ever have are next to a gas station off Rt 7.  

Yes, that place is good.

But it used to be a barbecue place (maybe 20 or 25 years ago).   It was really good then.   I think it was called the Blind Pig.

When I go to Tech for football games (about 6 weekends every fall since 1992, until this year), I cut across from 340 to 81 on Rt 7 and I stopped at the Blind Pig many a time, and got a pulled pork sandwich.

Then The Blind Pig went out of business and was a tobacco store or something.

Now it's tacos and I've stopped there once I think.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Two related but kind of random thoughts:

1) Just think what would happen if you combine the kids from the DR with the training facilities Ryan Mountcastle had.

2) None of this stuff existed, at least in modern form, 20, 30 years ago.  More for the huge pile of evidence that baseball today is far higher quality than even when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s.  Pre WWII is like the Korean League, if that.

1) Some of the Buscans have remarkable equipment, which is why some of these kids are absolute studs coming out at 16. But I am sure it is not commonplace. Nutrition is another area that has advanced significantly. The island kids used to be extremely skinny. 

2) You are quite right. The kids today have no idea what it's like to play with a chicken wire backstop, no dugouts or fences, and infields that look like the Air Force used it for a bombing run. Fields today are immaculate compared to what I used to play on in Frederick County...lol. Our OF used to end where the steep hill started. If you hit a ball over the OF's heads, you had an easy HR. It may take the OF a minute to run down the hill and get the game ball so we could continue. We had 2-3 team wood bats and one hot shot may have had an early model of the Worth or Easton aluminum bats. Now, every kid has their own bat, or 3-4 even, in their equipment bag. If I broke a wood bat, coach would put in a few wood screws and tape over them. Good as new.

There is a burgeoning number of kids with polish and talent. The competition is harsher than ever. Not too many guys hanging on past their early 30's anymore. From a fan's perspective, it's sad to me that there is so much turnover from year to year. In the 70's-80's-90's, I enjoyed the attachment to players over the years. Of course, the Orioles were mostly a winning organization then. I thought it would be like that forever. What did I know?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

1) Some of the Buscans have remarkable equipment, which is why some of these kids are absolute studs coming out at 16. But I am sure it is not commonplace. Nutrition is another area that has advanced significantly. The island kids used to be extremely skinny. 

2) You are quite right. The kids today have no idea what it's like to play with a chicken wire backstop, no dugouts or fences, and infields that look like the Air Force used it for a bombing run. Fields today are immaculate compared to what I used to play on in Frederick County...lol. Our OF used to end where the steep hill started. If you hit a ball over the OF's heads, you had an easy HR. It may take the OF a minute to run down the hill and get the game ball so we could continue. We had 2-3 team wood bats and one hot shot may have had an early model of the Worth or Easton aluminum bats. Now, every kid has their own bat, or 3-4 even, in their equipment bag. If I broke a wood bat, coach would put in a few wood screws and tape over them. Good as new.

There is a burgeoning number of kids with polish and talent. The competition is harsher than ever. Not too many guys hanging on past their early 30's anymore. From a fan's perspective, it's sad to me that there is so much turnover from year to year. In the 70's-80's-90's, I enjoyed the attachment to players over the years. Of course, the Orioles were mostly a winning organization then. I thought it would be like that forever. What did I know?

My kids now will sometimes complain about the quality of the pitch where they have a soccer game because it's **shudder** grass with a few bare spots or weeds.  Even St. Mary's County stepped up in the last year and put in two really nice turf fields, not the 1988 Royals Stadium stuff, but the modern thick cushiony stuff that you wear normal cleats on and that drains in minutes after a huge downpour.

We had a tournament over Columbus Day weekend in Manassas and the goalposts were rusty and needed a coat of paint.  Can you imagine having people over with the place in such a condition?  The embarrassment...

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it is true that across almost all major sports that people from lower socioeconomic backgrounds succeed at higher rates than people who were better off.  My kids' fallback if they don't become pro soccer players (and they won't) is to go to a four-year college and get a good degree and a good job.  No such fallback plan in the DR.

Golf is an exception.  Kids whose parents belong to country clubs have a big advantage.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My kids now will sometimes complain about the quality of the pitch where they have a soccer game because it's **shudder** grass with a few bare spots or weeds.  Even St. Mary's County stepped up in the last year and put in two really nice turf fields, not the 1988 Royals Stadium stuff, but the modern thick cushiony stuff that you wear normal cleats on and that drains in minutes after a huge downpour.

We had a tournament over Columbus Day weekend in Manassas and the goalposts were rusty and needed a coat of paint.  Can you imagine having people over with the place in such a condition?  The embarrassment...

When I played football in high school we played each year in a town in a very sandy area whose football field was sand with occasional sand burrs to hold the soil together.  The high school fields there have greatly improved but they are probably still jerks.