Schoenfeld on who O’s could sign this offseason

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

While I agree that this tactic is often overrated / overblown in OH discussions, it’s not completely without merit as a concept. A roster spot is more valuable on a contending team. Higher bar for expected contribution for someone to make it. A team like the Orioles is more able to sign a guy with injury or uneven performance concerns who could be +3 WAR or -3 WAR over a full season. If he plays well, that’s information discovery that improves value at mid season. If he plays poorly, it doesn’t harm a rebuilding team as much as it does an aspiring contender. 

Someone signed as a minor league contract with an invite is the best one could hope to profit from in this manner. 

5 hours ago, Philip said:

The question is how wisely our our scrapheap guys chosen. Giving Pedro Álvarez $6 million was not wise. There were so many other guys that were expensive blips on the radar that I don’t remember any of them. How much did Freddie Gonzalez(?)get to make two starts for us? I think it was in 2016, and he was given a lot of money to be horrible for us for a couple weeks.
Inexpensive risks are both wise and necessary, and the guys we signed last off-season were good choices. 

Collin McHugh isn’t the only possibility but he’d be a good choice.

edit: Freddie Garcia, I think.

The O's gave Chris Tillman $3 mill.  They should be willing to give a little more to a pitcher who still has a major arm.  I'm interested not just in the innings a veteran starter could give us, but also the leadership and teaching they could give our pitching staff.

50 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's gave Chris Tillman $3 mill.  They should be willing to give a little more to a pitcher who still has a major arm.  I'm interested not just in the innings a veteran starter could give us, but also the leadership and teaching they could give our pitching staff.

Different manager, different GM, different owner.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yes how could I forget Tillman. There’s three million wasted bucks if ever there were any.

I think that leadership and teaching are real skills, albeit unquantifiable, but I question how we can know how well a given pitcher leads and teaches. Because we can’t know on a meaningful way, I would be reluctant to give a guy a contract solely because he “leads and teaches”

the 2017 Astros doubtless had leaders and teachers but they sure didn’t lead when it came to honesty or ethics, and I’m not sure how much teaching went on. 

Just now, Philip said:

Yes how could I forget Tillman. There’s three million wasted bucks if ever there were any.

I think that leadership and teaching are real skills, albeit unquantifiable, but I question how we can know how well a given pitcher leads and teaches. Because we can’t know on a meaningful way, I would be reluctant to give a guy a contract solely because he “leads and teaches”

the 2017 Astros doubtless had leaders and teachers but they sure didn’t lead when it came to honesty or ethics, and I’m not sure how much teaching went on. 

A better use of that $3 mill would have been to make a bonfire and have O's fans roast marshmallows and hot dogs over it. 

14 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

They were still competing and had not lost their MASN suit at that point. This is a pure rebuild team with no attempt to disguise the process. 

I don't see the Orioles signing any Major League free agents this season unless someone is super cheap as a result of the lost revenues in 2020 and uncertainty for 2021. If that is the case I can see Elias maybe taking a gamble on someone on a one year deal to fill some innings in the first half of the season to give the young arms a few innings in the minors in 2021 since they didn't have the luxury of those innings in 2020 (save for the alternate site).