Could the new Yankee Stadium actually be a deterrent?

JTrea81

Think about it. The Yankees have always been a baseball treasure, full of history, and part of that history was Yankee Stadium.

That was something that was always special to FA's I think, playing on the same field as Mantle, Ruth and Gehrig. Now that's no longer the case as the field they will step on is no longer hallowed ground. There are no memories there, just fresh steel and concrete, a ripoff of the old Stadium trying to recreate that feel.

All the Yankees have to offer now is $ as just about everybody has a new stadium. I think a big part of their sales pitch is now gone.

I think the fans won't care either. Granted, they'll miss the old place, but they'll FILL that sucker too... every. single. night. ;)

I know but I don't think it will have the same vibe. It will be more of a corporate feel. I think it will be similar to the effect that happened when the Orioles moved from Memorial Stadium.

FAs won't give a flying fig that Yankee Stadium is gone. As long as the Yankees are still shelling out millions of dollars, they'll still sign plenty of free agents.

Even if the new ballpark turns out to have extreme park effects (i.e., it's a ridiculous hitter-friendly or pitcher-friendly park), it won't make a big difference as long as the cash is there. Keep in mind that guys like Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle willingly signed with the Rockies to pitch at Coors Field.

With the prices that that the seats are going be going for, FA will care less, because they will be getting a ton of $$$... those $250 seats behind home plate, will now cost $500 to $2500. And lets not forget to factor in the 47 luxury suites (29 leased already as of March 2008).

The new ballpark is going to be a cash cow!

From a March 2008 ESPN article - Seats behind home plate at the Yankees new stadium cost $500-$2,500

The New York Yankees will charge $500 to $2,500 for seats near home plate in the first five-to-eight rows of their new ballpark. They already have commitments from ticket-buyers for all 122 of the front-row seats.
The new ballpark will have 1,800 Legends Field Suite seats in 25 sections ringing home plate, with seats 20 feet closer to the infield than the current stadium. Food and nonalcoholic drinks are included in the ticket price, and there will be a private entrance, elevator and concourse.
There will be 1,200 Main Level Outdoor Suite seats in nine sections behind the plate priced at $350 to more than $500 next year, Trost said, with fans having to buy them for four, six, eight and 10 years. There will be 1,300 Terrace Level Outdoor Suite seats in nine sections behind the plate costing $100, $115 and $135, and fans must commit to them for two, four, six, eight or 10 seasons.

New York has lease commitments for 29 of 47 luxury suites in the new ballpark at prices from $600,000 and $850,000, and will have a 74-seat Club Suite priced at $700 per ticket, food (but not alcohol) included.

FAs won't give a flying fig that Yankee Stadium is gone. As long as the Yankees are still shelling out millions of dollars, they'll still sign plenty of free agents.

Even if the new ballpark turns out to have extreme park effects (i.e., it's a ridiculous hitter-friendly or pitcher-friendly park), it won't make a big difference as long as the cash is there. Keep in mind that guys like Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle willingly signed with the Rockies to pitch at Coors Field.

Naw, Hampton signed there because of the Denver schools.

Think about it. The Yankees have always been a baseball treasure, full of history, and part of that history was Yankee Stadium.

That was something that was always special to FA's I think, playing on the same field as Mantle, Ruth and Gehrig. Now that's no longer the case as the field they will step on is no longer hallowed ground. There are no memories there, just fresh steel and concrete, a ripoff of the old Stadium trying to recreate that feel.

All the Yankees have to offer now is $ as just about everybody has a new stadium. I think a big part of their sales pitch is now gone.

Fools falling for bunkum. Nobody played on the same field as Mantle, Ruth and Gehrig, unless they played on the same teams as Mantle, Ruth or Gehrig. You really think they left the same grass and/or dirt on the field for 80+ years?

I don't.

They were playing in a park built by NYC in the mid-seventies on the site of Yankee $tadium. Nothing more or less. With no more or less history than that. May as well have called it $teinbrenner - Koch Park.

Archived