Swing Decisions, Monthly

Just Regular

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He’s swinging at a lot of pitches that are not even close right now. I agree that he was shafted last year on called strikes though.

The swinging strikeout on the 0-2 pitch from Luis Gil at his eyeballs was pretty conspicuous last night about an hour after checking these numbers and not having realized day to day how aggressive he has gotten while hitting .320.

In contrast to the Adam/Manny led teams, I feel a lot more confidence in this lineup's ability to adapt as the year goes along.    Across the 2012-2016 postseasons, BAL hit 209/261/303 for a 56 wRC+, third worst of the 21 Clubs earning tournament appearances in that era.

Jeff Passan's story this morning lamenting the April UmpShow had a detail Gunnar's punched out looking 4 times on missed calls - that's about 10% of his strikeouts YTD.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

May 2024 - BAL ranked 21st MLB-wide, as the offensive strategy Do Damage was sticky - O'Hearn in particular shifted to attacking more in May.     Jorge Mateo 3rd on a mostly mature Sigbot offense isn't something i would have guessed would happen.

Player, and April-May percentile among MLB bats, May 60 PA minimum, in Chase Rate (parens APR-MAY percentile results):

Gunnar 93       (72, 93)

Cowser 92     (84, 92)

Mateo 58       (xx, 58)         Mateo gained larger role in May with Holliday flopping early

O'Hearn 51     (92, 51)

Adley 39      (24, 39)          I'll guess he'll be +15 or more again in June

Mullins 32      (53, 32)        We'll see this month if it noses up, or a more significant role change will occur

Westburg 30  (36, 30)

Santander 14     (7, 14)

Mountcastle 12   (10, 12)

Westburg feels Mountcastle-Santander similar what you see is what you get at this aspect of performance.

May's 104 wRC+ was 12th MLB-wide as Judge led the Yankees establishing themselves as the league's top lineup, even in Stars and Scrubs mode.     We'll see this summer how tough they make it for Burnes, Bradish and Grayson in the bottom half of the lineup.

• Upvote 2