Reliever question

HowAboutThat

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has nothing left to prove in the minors.

He is 26 in a week and has had very good peripherals, in both the majors and minors, throughout his career.

The exception to that is the walk rate, although that was good last year.  (Of course, that was a SSS although that shouldn’t matter to you)

Sending him down is pointless.  He either will go deep enough into games as a starter or he won’t.  The minors isn’t going to teach him how to do that at this point.

You keep acting like Holt can turn a turd into a diamond, so why wouldn’t you want him here working with him?

He has to figure out how to throw less pitches per inning if he is to be a major league starter.  Somewhere close to 15 pitches an inning.    He is not going to do that in the pen and he has not shown he can do it as a starter.   Just because he goes to the alternate site to work on that does not mean he stays there all year or even months.  Just until he figures it out and and executes it.

Actually I am kind of surprised that Holt has not gotten Akin to do better with his # of pitches per inning. But then he has not figured out how to get Lopez to be a starter either.  But he has helped Harvey a lot.   I guess some things are harder than others.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Obviously you stretch guys out but is 5 IP the standard or isn't it? If Kremer had a bad start his last time out, he doesn't make the team? How about Zimmerman? 

Once a pitcher is stretch out one bad game does not changed that he is stretched out.

Akin reminds me of Bedard in so many ways (no, I'm not saying Akin will be that caliber of pitcher), chief among them being he's starting out his ML career with command/pitch efficiency issues. Hyde's comments post-game seemed to say, IMO, that Akin is on the team. He was light on criticism and felt he ran into some bad luck. To me, that means he wants to avoid piling on the guy knowing he's going to be on the team. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Oh, its also the number of innings pitched in a game.

Not in the context in which you are using it.  You are talking about a pitcher being stretched out.  

Again, I bet Akin is stretched out and can throw 70-90 pitches in his first start.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He has to figure out how to throw less pitches per inning if he is to be a major league starter.  Somewhere close to 15 pitches an inning.    He is not going to do that in the pen and he has not shown he can do it as a starter.   Just because he goes to the alternate site to work on that does not mean he stay there all year or even months.  Just until he figures it out and and execute it.

He can figure it out in the majors.  

He could go down to the minors and average 6 Ip per start..that doesn’t mean he is any further along with that aspect of his game than he is right now.  In 2018, he averaged almost 5.2 Ip per start.  

He just isn’t an efficient pitcher, at least not right now.  And since the stats say you don’t have to average 5 IP per start to be a starter, he’s fine.  

Whether he remains a starter is tbd but right now, he is and sending him down because of a few bad ST outings is moronic.

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm with you. He reminds me of a Matt Albers type. Not a blazing fastball, but a lot of effective little breaking pitches and good command. 

I don’t think it’s a question of hating anybody, there are certainly guys I hate, but nobody on the pitching staff. Rather, it’s a question of who offers more right now and who has more upside. Lakins might beat out Sceroler, and because Greene isn’t on the 40 yet, he’s not competing with Greene, or anyone else who isn’t on the 40, but if a pitcher has to be removed from the 40 to make room for someone better, the obvious choice would be Sulser or Lakins. Depending on the timing of the DFA, I think either would pass unclaimed. Mainly it depends on which of the three guys is seen as offering the least. Sulser is 31, Lakins and Sceroler are within a year of each other at 25-26.

Hmmmm as I write this, I think it’s most likely that Sceroler gets sent back, and Sulser is optioned. You can’t coach youth, and Lakins is 5 years younger than Sulser.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think it’s a question of hating anybody, there are certainly guys I hate, but nobody on the pitching staff. Rather, it’s a question of who offers more right now and who has more upside. Lakins might beat out Sceroler, and because Greene isn’t on the 40 yet, he’s not competing with Greene, or anyone else who isn’t on the 40, but if a pitcher has to be removed from the 40 to make room for someone better, the obvious choice would be Sulser or Lakins. Depending on the timing of the DFA, I think either would pass unclaimed. Mainly it depends on which of the three guys is seen as offering the least. Sulser is 31, Lakins and Sceroler are within a year of each other at 25-26.

Hmmmm as I write this, I think it’s most likely that Sceroler gets sent back, and Sulser is optioned. You can’t coach youth, and Lakins is 5 years younger than Sulser.

The real question is: which one is the best defender?

• Haha 1

It is truly shocking that the bar has been lowered so much for innings expected from SP.  I remember when it was lowered to 7 innings, then 5.  I even see it going to 4.  Good for a fast pitch softball  pitcher, but for a ML baseball starter it is pitiful.  And whenever this topic comes up, I remember Bob Gibson and how he fought to remain in the games,  regardless of how many innings he had pitched.  The best baseball game I ever saw in person was on one of the hottest, most humid nights in St. Louis when he and Gaylord Perry hooked up in  the game of all games.  It went 11 innings in that sauna bath as people in the stands were being helped to get out of the ball park due to the heat.  Gibson not only pitched the entire game,  he won it in the bottom of the 11th with a sharp hit which drove in the only run of the game in a 1 to 0 Win for the Cards. Now God forbid if a Pitcher is expected to pitch 7 or more innings in a 9 inning game.    Of  course it took courage to go to the mound and try to take the ball away from Gibson too.

• Upvote 1

Well, after tonight, if Wells doesn’t make the team, it’s proof that management is nuts. 41 pitches in 3 innings, good for 6 strikeouts and no hits.

Lopoez was good too...

And this was against the Yankees’ A team: Stanton, Gardner, Judge,  Lemahieu Tauchman Sanchez(laff laff Sanchez)

Maybe we should send Holt a fruit basket or something?

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, after tonight, if Wells doesn’t make the team, it’s proof that management is nuts. 41 pitches in 3 innings, good for 6 strikeouts and no hits.

Lopoez was good too...

And this was against the Yankees’ A team: Stanton, Gardner, Judge,  Lemahieu Tauchman Sanchez(laff laff Sanchez)

Maybe we should send Holt a fruit basket or something?

Wells has to be a lock. No way they let him go 3 innings and not be on the team. 

• Upvote 2