April 30 -- start of a road trip in Oakland

SteveA

Just now, Uli2001 said:

I am not watching, were these fly balls threats to go out? It must be harder to hit it out when a pitcher is throwing 76 mph. ?

Nope.  We'll hit but it is a big ballpark.  Didn't quite make the warning track.

o

The Orioles got a little bit unlucky earlier in the game, when what looked like an RBI-single up the middle was instead turned into a rally-killing double play because of the the excellent positioning of the Athletics shortstop on the play.

The Athletics got a little bit unlucky in the 9th inning, when the line-drive with runners on 1st and 2nd base and nobody out was hit directly at the Orioles shortstop.

o

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Nope.  We'll hit but it is a big ballpark.  Didn't quite make the warning track.

Flyball pitchers make me nervous except when they are pitching for the other team.

David Wells was an effective flyball pitcher, but I had an easier time when Scott Erickson was on the mound.

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

ATHLETICS ANNOUNCERS: )  The young, transitioning/rebuilding Orioles are over .500 on the road this year.

o

9 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

LOL !!! What ???

o

They're 8-4 on the road, 4-10 at home.

o

11 hours ago, Philip said:

You are correct, I had absolutely no faith that the guy who threw 29 pitches yesterday would handle things in the 9th inning, especially after watching what happened with the first two batters ...... so, sue me.

Glad I was wrong, though.

o

You were not necessarily wrong ...... sometimes a questionable decision winds up not costing a team.

I was OK with the decision to bring in Valdez when he did, but one can argue that the fact that he was very shaky (and somewhat lucky) in closing out the opponent was evidence that he should not have been used. 

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

You were not necessarily wrong ...... sometimes a questionable decision winds up not costing a team.

I was OK with the decision to bring in Valdez when he did, but one can argue that the fact that he was very shaky (and somewhat lucky) in closing out the opponent was evidence that he should not have been used. 

o

Sometimes the wrong decision works anyway, as it did last night. And sometimes the right decision fails, but I’m very interested in hearing his justification for last nights decision.